Prawn is one culinary delight that every part of the world celebrates. It is really tasteful, but that’s not all. Prawns are also loaded with staggering health benefits that can help you live that healthy lifestyle that you seek. Including prawns in your diet can also help in the treatment and prevention of certain health issues.
Let’s take a look at how prawns can improve your health in 10 different ways.
1. Prawn is a Good Source of Protein
All kinds of seafood are great sources of protein, and so are prawns. What do you know about protein? They help to develop and maintain body tissues; to put it lightly. That’s right, but let’s break it down so you’ll really understand how the protein content of prawns can help your health.
- It reduces your appetite and hunger by bringing down the level of a hormone known as ghrelin and boosting the level of the peptide in the body.
- When they say protein helps to develop and maintain body tissues, they’re actually referring to an increase in muscle mass and strength, amidst other things.
- Protein increases metabolism and increases fat burning.
Just be sure to balance your protein intake with carbs and other nutrients to ensure there is no deficiency.
2. Prawns Help You Lose Weight
You may already know that prawns have more protein than any other food nutrients. That means very little carb content, which equals low calories and low-fat levels. So, imagine that you take prawns in place of high carb foods like quinoa or pasta. This will drastically cut down how much calories you consume, and how much weight you gain.
3. Prawns are Rich in Omega-3 Fatty Acid
The hype about omega-3 fatty acid will continue to be a big deal and it is always a pleasure when we humans discover ways to get more consumable omega-3 fatty acid. So far, there are a bunch of foods that are rich in omega-3 fatty acid, and prawn happens to be one of them.
Some of the benefits of omega-3 fatty acids are:
- Fighting depression and anxiety
- Help to maintain and boost brain functionality and health
- Promote eye health
- Reduce the chances of developing diseases like heart problems, stroke, diabetes, etc.
These benefits go for children as well as adults.
4. Prawns are Rich in Vitamins
Vitamin B6, B12, and Niacin are some of the vitamins found in prawns, and they work really well to promote the body functions. These vitamins are found in varying quantities. But nevertheless, you’ll get just the right quantities of these vitamins that your body needs.
Here are some of the benefits of vitamin B6, vitamin B12, and niacin:
- Niacin can prevent heart diseases.
- Diseases like diabetes and arthritis can be drastically reduced with a good supply of niacin.
- Vitamin B12 helps with red blood cell formation and prevention of anemia.
- A healthy level of vitamin B12 is one way to guarantee a safe and healthy pregnancy.
- Brain and spinal cord defects at birth can be avoided by taking vitamin B12.
- Vitamin B6 plays an important role in mood regulation, especially in older adults.
- The decline in brain functions come with age most times, but a healthy level of vitamin B6 can slow down this deterioration and improve brain health generally.
All these benefits and more are what you stand to gain if you include prawns in your diet.
5. Prawns are Very Good for the Teeth and Bones
Prawns have some of the minerals essential for building strong bones. They include copper, phosphorus, and magnesium. Benefits of having healthy bones and teeth include:
- Prevention of toothache, decay, and tooth cavity
- Clear and white teeth with no discolorations
- Strong bones protect your internal organs from external impacts that may be damaging.
- Your muscles will have little to no benefit to you if you don’t have strong bones to support them.
- Taking care of your bones at an earlier stage reduces your risk of having Osteoporosis.
6. Prawns Can Reduce Your Risk of Developing Chronic Diseases
The nutrients contained in prawns can improve your health and lifestyle greatly. They can even help to prevent chronic diseases that are usually associated with old age.
- Prawns contain antioxidant agents that help to prevent cancer. These agents (or nutrients), when taken in adequate quantity, can inhibit the growth of a tumor.
- Having enough prawns in your diet can also help with the prevention of heart-related diseases.
- You also stand a chance to earn the benefit of a healthy thyroid gland; which is critical in preventing health problems.
7. Prawns are Rich in Selenium
Selenium is one of those nutrients that are essential. This means that they can only be obtained through our diet. You really do not need a lot of selenium at a time, a little goes a long way to prevent ill health.
- Selenium has antioxidant properties that fight oxidative stress.
- Certain cancers can be prevented with the help of selenium. Also, cancer patients can have an improved quality of life when they make selenium-rich foods part of their daily diet.
- Other health conditions that selenium can help with include mental decline, heart disease, thyroid health, and asthma.
8. Prawn Have Aphrodisiac Effects
No matter how spicy your s*x life is right now, it will not always be like that. Every now and then, things happen in our lives and we find our s*x lives on the low. No spark, no fun, and no interest. If you ever find yourself at this level in your sexual life, you should probably try prawns (you’ll be glad you did).
Prawns have the ability to promote s*xual health. They were used in the olden days (and in modern day medicines) as a medical treatment for low libido both in male and females.
9. Prawns Promote Kidney Health
If you as much as develop a slight kidney imbalance of some sort, your quality of life will be affected so much. If you ignore any slight symptoms of kidney problems without proper treatment, it will develop into full-blown kidney disease and silently suck the life out of you. To avoid that, you need to eat prawns or other healthy foods that can prevent kidney diseases.
In addition to that, make it a priority to keep fit, control your blood sugar level, monitor your blood pressure, and maintain healthy fluid intake.
10. Prawns Boost the Immune System
Your immune system does a remarkable job of defending you against micro-organisms that are detrimental to your health; that is if it is strong enough to handle the micro-organism in question. If the organism is stronger than your immune system, it can invade your body successfully and make you sick. To make sure this does not happen, it is your responsibility to make sure your immune system is strong at all time.
Do not smoke, maintain a healthy weight, exercise regularly, minimize stress, get enough rest days, and eat foods like prawns to help boost your immune system.
Prawns are great for your health and you should make them a part of your diet. However, it is important you touch base with your doctor if you have a health condition that can be easily affected by your diet.