Pineapples are among the most consumed tropical fruits in the world. These are delicious fruit, rich in enzymes, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. The fruit can be sweet or sour and contains very low calories. It is an excellent source of healthy carbohydrates as well. It provides lots of health benefits from boosting the immune system and aiding indigestion to preventing heart disease, and even cancer.
Pineapple contains important nutrients that our body needs regularly. Here are the important nutrients that the pineapple contains and their health benefits:
- It contains vitamins B1, B6, C, folate, manganese and other vitamins and minerals.
- Manganese in pineapple is important for antioxidant defenses and thiamine helps to produce energy.
- Vitamin C helps to protect against inflammation and viral infections.
- Antioxidants help to fight oxidative stress which is a state when the body has too many free radicals that can weaken the immune system and cause various harmful diseases.
Pineapple is a natural remedy for a number of diseases and it is one of the most nutritious fruits that is abundantly available. So, there shouldn’t be any excuse not to include it in your everyday diet. Here we are going to discuss the various health benefits of pineapple:
1. Boosts Immune System
Pineapples help to boost the immune system by providing protection against bacteria and viruses because of the enzyme Bromelain present in it. If your immunity improves, you will have less chance of organ damage due to inflammatory diseases. It contains vitamin C which is a source of water-soluble antioxidant that protects the body from cell damage. So, there will be less chance of having heart disease and joint pain. It also helps to stimulate the activity of white blood cells and so you will have fewer infections or diseases. You will be able to recover from any disease faster if your immune system is strong.
2. Strengthens Gums and Bones
No matter how regularly you brush your teeth, your gum will still be susceptible to bacterial infection. When gum gets affected by bacteria, it can be very painful. You will find it difficult to chew any food. Pineapple can help to protect your gum in the following ways:
- Pineapples contain Astringent that protects your gums from harmful bacteria.
- It can defend your gums from infections and diseases such as periodontal disease or gingivitis that destroys the jaw bones and gum tissues.
- The astringent agents in pineapple tighten up the gum tissues and help to prevent oral cancer.
- You will see that doctors often recommend eating pineapple for retraction of gums or fixing loosening of teeth.
Pineapples are good sources of Bromelain and manganese that are necessary for bone regeneration. Vitamin C and manganese in pineapple helps to strengthen bones. By eating pineapple, you will be able to prevent bone diseases such as Osteoporosis, especially in postmenopausal women. Millions of people today suffer from arthritis and pineapple can be an easy solution for it. It can relieve pain due to Rheumatoid arthritis and gout or carpal tunnel syndrome.
3. Improves Eye Health
Pineapples are very good for your eye health as it contains a high amount of vitamin C and antioxidants. You may not have to use glasses any longer as pineapple will improve your eyesight. It can lower the risk of age-related macular degeneration that may lead to losing your vision if the condition gets severe. Macular degeneration causes damage to the retina and it makes it difficult to recognize faces, see street signals or even read. If you include pineapple in your regular diet, then you will significantly reduce the chances of macular degeneration.
4. Aids Digestion
Pineapple has dietary fiber that is essential for healthy intestines. It helps to digest food and keeps your stomach in good condition in a number of ways:
- It contains Bromelain that helps to break down protein, and thus help in digestion.
- It also helps to neutralize the fluids so that acidity doesn’t form in the stomach and make you feel uncomfortable.
- It also regulates pancreatic secretions which aid digestion.
- It reduces gut inflammation and prevents diarrhea, constipation or irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).
If you have digestion problem often, then including pineapple in your diet can help to ease the condition. If you eat pineapple regularly, you won’t have to suffer from digestion-related problems anymore.
5. Helps in Healing
Pineapple contains vitamin C that can help to heal injuries and wounds faster. In Europe, Bromelain, found in pineapple as well, is used to heal surgical wounds, burns, etc. Pineapple’s anti-inflammatory property helps to heal both internal and external injuries. It can also help to recover from damage caused due to strenuous exercise. So, to recover from any type of injury, you should eat pineapple beside your prescribed medicines. That way, you will recover soon.
6. Alleviates Common Cold
Bromelain and vitamin C in pineapple can reduce the mucus present in the nose and throat. So, doctors recommend that you have pineapple to get relief from cold and cough. It can also reduce respiratory problems by cleaning up the mucus in the respiratory system. Pineapple can reduce asthma symptoms as well. You can either eat chunks of pineapple or a glass of pineapple juice. Pineapple is a natural remedy for common cold and coughs.
7. Improves Heart Health
Pineapple has a high content of potassium that helps to lower the blood pressure. The fiber, vitamin C and potassium in pineapple help to make your heart healthy and reduce the chance of heart attack or stroke. Potassium is a natural vasodilator, that is, it can lower the tension of the blood vessels. This improves blood circulation and lowers blood pressure, thereby, reducing risks of heart-related diseases.
8. Helps to Lose Weight
As pineapple contains lots of fiber, including it in your diet can help to maintain your weight and lose weight as well. It has low calories and saturated fat that helps to lose weight. Pineapple is a healthy filling snack and you won’t feel hungry for a long time. You won’t be craving the snacks containing a high content of sugar, and so you will eventually lose weight.
9. Reduces the Risk of Cancer
Pineapple contains Bromelain which is an anti-inflammatory agent preventing the spread of cancerous cells. Cancer progresses due to chronic inflammation and oxidative stress and pineapple help to minimize these conditions. Bromelain can suppress the growth of cancer in the breast, colon skin, and other parts of the body. Antioxidants in pineapple also prevent cell damage by fighting the formation of free radicals in the body and thus lowering the risk of cancer. Bromelain can have a chemopreventive effect on patients suffering from colon cancer.
10. Improves Skin and Hair
Pineapple is good for your skin and hair. You can use pineapple mask to treat various skin conditions.
- It can help to prevent skin damage that is caused by pollution or the sun’s harmful UV rays.
- It can reduce wrinkles, acne and improve the texture of your skin as well.
- Vitamin C in pineapple helps in the formation of collagen that is important for healthy skin. You can get a glowing and youthful appearance by including pineapple in your diet.
- It can also prevent skin degeneration and make you look younger.
- If you apply pineapple scrub to your feet, it will treat foot cracks and make your feet smooth.
- It can also make your nails healthy.
- By adding coconut oil to pineapple and applying it to your lips, you can soothe chapped lips and hydrate it.
Pineapple can prevent hair loss by fighting free radicals that may damage hair growth. You can apply pineapple extracts to your scalp that will make your hair thicker and shinier.
You can easily incorporate pineapples to your diet. You can get it conveniently from the market and add it to your salads, pizzas, and smoothies. You can use crushed pineapple in cookies, cupcakes, yogurt or other desserts as well.
You have to be careful when buying a pineapple. If the outer shell of the pineapple is green, it doesn’t mean that it’s not ripe. Whether the pineapple you buy is sweet or sour depends on your luck mostly. You should try to get pineapple that has been picked at the right ripeness stage; that way you will be able to ensure that the pineapple will be sweet.
Storing pineapple is very easy as you can keep it anywhere at room temperature. But once you cut it, you should put it in your refrigerator. Pineapple, if stored properly, can stay fresh for a long time.
Besides preventing serious diseases just discussed, pineapple can also reduce your stress and nausea. It is can also prevent blood clot and improve fertility. With such a plethora of health benefits, you will be the loser if you don’t include it in your diet.