If you want to lose weight or maintain a healthy weight, you’re going to have to watch what you eat. That means eating low-calorie foods so as to avoid excesses which will be converted to fat in your body. Being fat or bulky is exactly what you want to avoid, right?
Before we go ahead, note that the recommended healthy calorie requirement per person is an average of 1400 calories per day for a child, 2200 calories per day for female adults, and 3000 calories for male adults. These recommendations vary given to how active you are and other health factors.
Without further due, here are 11 low-calorie foods that will help you lose weight or maintain healthy body weight. And no, they are not all rabbit foods.
The nutrient composition of oats is very nutritious and low in calories. It is loaded with important nutrients like vitamins, antioxidants, and carbohydrate. 100 grams of oats contain 390 calories, and that’s like 3 servings on average. So, with that in mind, one serving of oats is about 30 grams which are 117 calories.
You may also want to know that
- Oats are rich in antioxidants which fight free radicals in the body
- It can reduce blood sugar and insulin response
- It can cause an increase in the growth of good bacteria in the digestive tract
- It ensures effective bowel movement
A medium sized boiled egg of 100g contains about 155 calories. They are filled with a lot of nutrients, so much so that they contain a bit of almost every nutrient there is. Eggs have protein, calcium, vitamins B6, A, D, C, magnesium, iron, etc. Eggs also contain carbohydrate but in a very negligible quantity.
Health benefits of eating eggs include:
- It is high in a type of cholesterol that does not adversely affect your blood cholesterol level
- Drastically reduce the risk of cardiovascular diseases, stroke, and other health conditions that are mostly associated with old age
- May help reduce levels of triglycerides in the blood that is not beneficial if it is high
- Helps in muscle building and bone strengthening
- Reduces the risk of obesity and being overweight
You can eat as much as 3 whole eggs per day. It’s perfectly safe.
There are different types of berries, and all of them are delicious, nutritious, and low in calories. So you can eat a lot of them without fear of adding weight. Every 100 grams of berries contain 57 calories, yet they can keep you satisfied for long.
Berries have amazing health properties like:
- High antioxidant contents which help to fight inflammation
- Low carb content and high fiber content which ensures a healthy digestive tract and reduced hunger and cravings
- Berries are heart-healthy foods and as such can help lower your cholesterol level
- The antioxidant contents of berries also fight free radicals that cause damage and wrinkles in your body
- Eating a lot of berries may help to reduce the risk of cancer
These are more than enough health reasons to include berries to your daily diet, don’t you think?
When you ferment milk with the help of some bacteria, the end result is yogurt. It is high in protein, can help promote weight loss, and can reduce cravings. So taking yogurt is a good option for you if you want to lose weight or maintain your current weight.
Few health benefits of yogurt are:
- It is high in protein, which means it is good for muscle development and strengthening of the bone
- It’s good for your digestive health
- Strengthens the immune system
There are different types of fruits out there in different shapes, colors, tastes, and compositions. You may not like all the fruits around you, but there are certainly some of them that you don’t mind eating. All you have to do is increase your intake of those fruits that you like and you’re sure to control your calorie intake and enjoy a healthier life in general.
Some benefits of eating fruits include
- They are high in fiber, which makes them great for your digestive health
- Good for your skin, nails, and hair
- They are a great way of replenishing your energy quick
- They keep certain diseases like hypertension, diabetes, heart attack, etc. away
Be careful with your fruit intake though. Too much of it may mean eating more sugars than your body can handle.
100 grams of potatoes contain 77 calories and a host of other nutrients like potassium, carbohydrate, vitamins, fiber, and that’s not all. Here are some of the nutritional benefits of potatoes:
- They are an excellent source of vitamins C and B6
- Contains even more potassium than a banana
- Free of fat, sodium, and cholesterol
Potatoes are sort of like eggs; they have a bit of almost every nutrient.
7. Cottage cheese
Cottage cheese is packed with a lot of nutrients that are good for your body in different ways. They are a low-calorie food, with about 98 calories for every 100 grams of cheese. They also contain
- Protein which is good for your muscles
- Calcium which ensures healthy bones, teeth, and nerves
- Magnesium which is good for maintaining blood sugar level
Maintain a healthy weight or shed some pounds by eating cottage cheese per day.
This is one of the best sources of plant-based protein there is. Anyone, especially vegetarians can eat more legumes to help them lose weight and stay healthy.
- They are inexpensive and easily accessible
- Very high in fiber, iron, folate, manganese, magnesium, and vitamin B
- A little goes a long way to fill you up, help you curb your cravings, and keep hunger at bay
Beans, lentils, peas, and nuts are good examples of legumes. 100 grams of legumes contain just 81 calories. So it is one of the foods that contain low-calories.
9. Lean Meat
If you’re a meat lover and you want to cut down on your calorie intake, you’re going to have to stay away from meat. If you must eat meat at all, go for lean meat. This is because the usual meat contains more fats and calories than you want.
Some health benefits of lean meat include:
- It has more protein and low carbohydrates
- Lean meat is a good source of iron and vitamin B; good for a healthier blood
- The iron content of lean meat makes it a good source of energy
- Lean meat can lower your cholesterol level, prevent diabetes, and relieve stress
Fruit and vegetable salad is probably the most obvious low-calorie item on the list. It does not have to be boring, you can always spice it up with other food items to make it as palatable as possible. If you put in a little bit of effort in planning it, you can come up with something that will not make you feel like you’re eating just vegetables.
A plate of salad comes with a host of health benefits as well. Here are some reasons you should eat salad:
- It will help you control your weight seeing as it is a low-calorie food
- Salad contains so much fiber which is a good thing. It can help lower your cholesterol level and prevent constipation
- Fruits and/or vegetable salad has a host of powerful antioxidants which can protect your body from damages caused by free radicals
- Eating a plate of salad before your main meal will help to enhance your satiety causing you to eat less and cut down on calories
You see, it’s not all rabbit foods! You don’t even have to feel hungry or unsatisfied in-between meals if you stick to these sort of low-calorie foods. They are delicious, satisfying, and nutritious with hardly any excess calories.