|Benjamin Mendy Quick Info|
|Date of Birth||July 17, 1994|
Benjamin Mendy is one of the finest rampaging fullbacks. His great strength and tall stature coupled with the quick pace makes him a very difficult prospect in the attacking third. His strong physical attributes also make his defensive game formidable. He often uses his speed to bail his side out on counter-attacks, while his strength helps in keeping attacking players under check during one on one situations.
Benjamin Mendy started his soccer journey with the Palaiseau Youth Team. He later joined the academy setup of the French Club, Le Havre.
Professional Soccer Player
- Father – Benjamin Mendy Sr.
- Mother – Monique Mendy
Benjamin Mendy is represented by Meïssa N’Diaye, the founder of the soccer agency, Sport Cover.
22 – Manchester City, France National Team
3 – AS Monaco, AC Le Havre
23 – AS Monaco, Olympique Marseille
14 – AS Monaco
6 ft or 183 cm
85 kg or 187.5 lbs
Race / Ethnicity
He has Senegalese ancestry.
He has given blonde and other hair colors a try.
Imposing physical presence
Benjamin Mendy has signed a personal endorsement deal with the sportswear giant, Adidas. Due to the endorsement deal, he wears only Adidas footwear for his professional matches. He has also endorsed Adidas products on the social media.
Best Known For
- Being one of the best young attacking left backs in the English Premier League. His immense pace and strength have helped him add another dimension to the attacking play of Manchester City.
- Being one of the most social media active players in the English Top Flight. His social media obsession has even got him a public rebuke from Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola.
First Soccer Match
In August 2011, he made his professional debut with the Ligue 2 club Le Havre in the second round match of Coupe de la Ligue against Amiens. His side lost the match by 2-1.
In July 2016, Mendy made his debut for AS Monaco against Turkish side Fenerbahçe in the first leg of the Champions League third round.
In August 2017, he made his first professional start for Manchester City in a Premier League match against Bournemouth.
In March 2017, he made his international debut for the French National Team in a 2018 FIFA World Cup qualification match against Luxembourg. His side won the away game by 3-1.
- Attacking runs
- Defensive positioning
He is slightly injury prone, otherwise, he is a perfect modern fullback.
First Web Show
In 2018, Benjamin Mendy made his first web show appearance on the Amazon Prime’s reality series All or Nothing: Manchester City.
Apart from his regular training with Manchester City, Mendy regularly hits the gym to further improve physical side of his game. In the gym, he focuses on improving his lower body power and explosiveness.
He also works on enhancing his upper body strength, which helps in the defensive situations. Plus, he has added yoga to his workout routine to take care of his injury problems.
Benjamin Mendy Facts
- He signed his first professional contract with Le Havre in July 2011. The contract extended his stay at the club for 3 years. However, he didn’t complete his contract term as he was signed up by Marseille in July 2013.
- His game improved by leaps and bounds in the 2014-2015 season as he got an opportunity to work with the iconic Argentine coach, Marcelo Bielsa.
- In the 2016-2017 season, he managed to win the French league title with AS Monaco. He was the key component of his team’s attacking play, which saw his side score astonishing 107 goals in the domestic league.
- In July 2017, he joined Manchester City as the English side paid a transfer fee of £52 million to AS Monaco to acquire his services. The transfer fees made him the most expensive defender at that time. His transfer broke the record which was set just 10 days earlier when City signed Kyle Walker.
- In September 2017, his debut season was cruelly cut short as he ruptured the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee while challenging Andros Townsend in his side’s premier league match against Crystal Palace.
- In December 2017, he came under fire on social media when his close friend posted a video of Manchester City players led by Mendy chanting ‘park the bus, park the bus, Man United’ after his side’s 4-1 victory over Tottenham Hotspur. He was slammed for being disrespectful to their city rivals.
- He has coined Shark Team nickname for Manchester City. His nickname for his City coach Pep Guardiola is Sergeant Pep.
- Follow him on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Featured Image by Benjamin Mendy / Instagram