|Bethany Hamilton Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 9 in|
|Date of Birth||February 8, 1990|
Bethany Hamilton has been a shining example for the younger generation. She didn’t allow a life-threatening attack to deter her and made changes to her technique to shine in her discipline despite having lost one arm. She has also used her experience to motivate and encourage those who have lost limbs or any body part through her charitable foundation. She has a huge social media fan base with more than 3 million followers on Instagram and more than 2 million followers on Twitter.
Bethany Meilani Hamilton
Lihue, Hawaii, United States
As she started her surfing career at a very young age, Bethany Hamilton relied on homeschooling for her education. She had started homeschooling in the 6th grade and completed her school education through it.
- Father – Tom Hamilton
- Mother – Cheri Hamilton
- Siblings – Timothy Hamilton (Older Brother), Noah Hamilton (Older Brother)
Bethany Hamilton is represented by Wasserman Media Group LLC (Sports Management Agency).
5 ft 9 in or 175 cm
65 kg or 143 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Bethany Hamilton has dated –
- Adam Dirks (2012-Present) – Bethany Hamilton met Adam Dirks, who worked as a youth minister, in the early months of 2012 through some mutual friends. They started going out shortly after. In April 2013, they got engaged. They got married in August 2013 in a lavish wedding ceremony held at a 130-acre estate near her childhood home in Kauai. In 2015, she gave birth to their son, Tobias. She gave birth to their 2nd son, Wesley in March 2018. In October 2020, she revealed that she was expecting her third child.
Race / Ethnicity
- Blonde locks
- She has lost one arm.
Bethany Hamilton has appeared in the TV commercials for the following brands –
- Cosamin (Health Products)
- Cobian Footwear
- Symetra Financial
She has also done some endorsement work for the automobile giant, Volvo.
Plus, she has used her social media activity to promote some brands and products such as –
- Cobian Footwear
- World Surf League
- Designer Protein
- Rip Curl
- Health Warrior Superfoods
- Bed Bath & Beyond
She is a devout Christian.
Best Known For
Having survived a dreadful shark attack in 2003. In the attack, she lost her arm. She not only managed to recover from the injury but managed to make a victorious return to surfing and won several high profile events such as NSSA Regionals, Surf ‘n’ Sea Pipeline Women’s Pro, and T & C Pipeline Women’s Pro.
In 2014, she made her theatrical film debut in the family drama movie, Dolphin Tale 2.
First TV Show
In 2003, Bethany Hamilton made her first TV show appearance as herself in Bethany and Chantilly episode of the family TV series, Switched!
Bethany has a disciplined workout regime in place to keep herself in top shape. In the gym, she especially focuses on TRX and Cross-Fit workout routines, which she claims helps her build and sustain her strength. She also regularly practices Egoscue, which is a special form of stretching that assists her in muscle recovery.
Bethany also tries to remain as active as possible. She loves to play tennis in her free time. Whenever she can, she likes to go hiking and running. Plus, she loves to surf daily. Sometimes, she has multiple surfing sessions in a single day.
She complements her workout regime by eating healthy and clean food. She lays special emphasis on organic and whole foods. For a post-workout boost, she often drinks coconut water.
Bethany Hamilton Favorite Things
- Restaurant – Common Ground, Kaua’i, Hawaii
- Phrase – This is the Life.
- Place To Visit – Tahiti, France, and Indonesia
- Hotel – Six Senses Laamu in the Maldives
- Place To Surf – Macaronis in Indonesia
- Spa Treatment – Deep-tissue massage
- App On Her Phone – Instagram, Holy Bible, and Words with Friends
- Movie – Soul Surfer (2011)
- Shampoo And Conditioner – Joico Moisture Recovery
- TV Show – Iron Chef
- Bikini – Mirage by Rip Curl
- Piece Of Clothing – Sundress by Rip Curl
- Wetsuit – The Bombshell by Rip Curl
- Computer Program – iMovie
- Accessory – Earrings
- Fruit – Papaya
- Vegetable – Steamed Broccoli
- Drink – Fresh Coconut Oil
- Recipe – Pesto kale salad with a lot of goodies in it
- Sweet – Organic fair-trade 88% dark chocolate
- Books – The Bible
Source – Adventure Sports Network
Bethany Hamilton Facts
- She started her surfing career at the age of 7. By the age of 8, she won her first competition, Rell Sunn Menehune.
- At the age of 13, she was attacked by a shark while she was surfing along Tunnels Beach, Kauai with her close friend, Alana Blanchard, Alana’s father, Holt, and brother Byron. She had left her left arm dangling from the board, which was attacked by a tiger shark. By the time, she reached the hospital with Alana’s family’s assistance, she had lost 60 percent of her blood. She had to spend 3 weeks in the hospital before she was released.
- On her return to surfing after the attack, she started using a custom-made paddleboard that was thicker and slightly longer than the usual board. She also started kicking more to make up for the loss of her left arm.
- The bathing suit she was wearing at the time of the attack and her shark-bitten surfboard have been put on display at the California Surf Museum in Oceanside, California.
- After training for a significant period of time, she participated in her first competition in January 2004.
- In 2004, she was honored at the ESPY Award with “Best Comeback Athlete” award. She was also given the Courage Teen Choice Award.
- In 2004, she published her book, Soul Surfer: A True Story of Faith, Family, and Fighting to Get Back on the Board, which was published by MTV Books.
- She has started her own charitable foundation, Friends of Bethany, which focuses on helping young amputees and offers hope to overcome a difficult time through Jesus Christ.
- In 2014, she published her book Body and Soul, in which she used her experience as a professional athlete to promote a healthy and fit lifestyle.
- Her shark attack and her struggles afterward as a professional surfer were covered in a biographical drama movie, Soul Surfer.
- She has two pet shar pei dogs, named Hanalei “Hana” and Kombucha “Booch”.
Featured Image by Bethany Hamilton / Instagram