|Bette Midler Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 1 in|
|Date of Birth||December 1, 1945|
|Spouse||Martin von Haselberg|
Bette Midler is an American singer, songwriter, comedian, actress, and film producer who debuted her professional career as an actress by appearing in Off-Off-Broadway plays, which came before she was fully introduced to a career in music and film acting. Midler, who’s been recognized as one of the legendary artists in the music industry, first rose to fame in 1970 after she sang in the Continental Baths, a local gay bathhouse. From there, she started releasing studio albums and had completed a total of 14 albums as a solo artist at the time. All throughout her music career, Midler had released a bunch of hit tracks that made it to various music charts including her renditions of Wind Beneath My Wings, Do You Want to Dance, Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy, The Rose, and From a Distance.
On top of her successes, she made her motion picture debut in 1979 in The Rose which later earned her a Golden Globe for “Best Actress” award and a nomination for the Academy Award for “Best Actress”. From there, she started landing on more notable roles both in movies and on televisions. She has appeared on various hit films including the Down and Out in Beverly Hills (1986), Ruthless People (1986), Outrageous Fortune (1987), Beaches (1988), Big Business (1988), Hocus Pocus (1993), The First Wives Club (1996), The Stepford Wives (2004), and Parental Guidance (2012). In her entire career both as a musician and as an actress, she has already compiled a ton of big awards including Grammy Awards, Golden Globes awards, Emmy Awards, and Tony Award. As a music artist, she has sold more than 30 million records globally and has been awarded Gold, Platinum, and Multiplatinum albums recognized by RIAA.
The Divine Miss M, Bathhouse Betty, The Rose
Honolulu, Territory of Hawaii, United States
She attended Radford High School in Honolulu, Hawaii, where she was voted as the “most talkative” and “most dramatic” during her senior year in 1963. She later went to the University of Hawaii at Manoa where she majored in drama but left school after 3 semesters.
Singer, Songwriter, Actress, Comedian, Film Producer
- Father – Fred Midler (Painter)
- Mother – Ruth Schindel (Seamstress, Housewife)
- Siblings – Susan Midler (Sister), Judy Midler (Sister)
- Others – Ruben/Reuben Midler (Paternal Grandfather), Minnie Friedman/Fortz (Paternal Grandmother), Israel D. Schindel (Maternal Grandfather), Fannie Goldberger (Maternal Grandmother)
Bette Midler is represented by Morra Brezner Steinber & Tenenbaum Entertainment, Inc., Talent Management Company, Beverly Hills, California, United States.
- Traditional Pop, Vocal, Pop, Musical Comedy
- Warner Bros.
- Columbia Records
- Warner Music Group
5 ft 1 in or 155 cm
57 kg or 125.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Bette Midler has dated –
- Peter Riegert – She had reportedly dated actor and screen director Peter Riegert during the 1970s, but it wasn’t revealed on how long they actually dated and what was the real reason of the split.
- Robert De Niro (1979) – Bette was rumored to be dating actor Robert De Niro in 1979.
- Martin von Haselberg (1984-Present) – Bette Midler is married to actor Martin von Haselborg and the two had tied the knot on December 16, 1984. They have one daughter together named Sophie von Haselberg (b. November 14, 1986) who is also an actress.
Race / Ethnicity
She is of Ashkenazi Jewish descent.
- Shaggy Hair
- Long Jawline
- Plump Lips
She appeared in a TV commercial for Acura MDX in 2011.
Best Known For
- Her overall contributions and achievements as a musician, actress, comedian, and film producer
- Releasing an array of albums and singles that made its rounds to numerous music charts including The Rose, Wind Beneath My Wings, Do You Want to Dance, Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy, and many others
In November 1972, she released her debut album titled The Divine Miss M under Atlantic Records. It was co-produced by top-billed musician Barry Manilow who also turned out to be her arranger and music conductor at the time. Bette had a solid start with her debut album as it quickly climbed to Billboard’s Top 10 shortly after its release and it became a million-selling Platinum-certified album, which earned her the 1973 Grammy Award for “Best New Artist”.
In 1966, Bette Midler made her theatrical film debut in an uncredited role as the “Passenger” in the film Hawaii, a film work directed by George Roy Hill wherein she acted alongside lead stars, Julie Andrews, Max von Sydow, and Richard Harris.
She made her credited theatrical film debut as Virgin Mary in The Thorn in 1971.
As a voice actress, she made her feature film debut by lending her voice for the character of Lullabye Singer in Scarecrow in a Garden of Cucumbers in 1972.
First TV Show
She made her TV show debut as ‘Herself’ on The David Frost Show in April 1970.
As a voice actress, she made her first TV show debut as “Woody The Spoon” in the family series Vegetable Soup in 1975.
Bette Midler Favorite Things
- Harmony Singing Group – The Andrew Sisters
- Singer – Susan Boyle, Beyoncé
- Hobbies – Reading
- Author – P.G. Wodehouse
- Food – Milos
- TV Show – S*x and the City
Bette Midler Facts
- She worked at a Dole pineapple processing plant situated in Hawaii during her early years.
- She was listed as one of 12 “Promising New Actors of 1979” in John Willis’ Screen World, Vol. 31.
- Bette appeared on The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson in 1962 wherein she came out as the final guest of the show.
- Bette gave birth to her only child Sophie at the age of 40.
- Midler performed a cover version of the song Beast of Burden in 1983 and also appeared in a music video of the same song with Mick Jagger which was choreographed by Lori Eastside.
- She was ranked no. 51 on VHA’s “100 Greatest Women of Rock N Roll” list.
- She’s named after actress Bette Davis while her sisters Susan and Judy are named after Susan Hayward and Judy Garland.
- Her hit singles Wind Beneath My Wings and The Rose were selected by the American Film Institute to be part of “The 100 Years of the Greatest Songs” on June 22, 2004.
- She was a huge fan and longtime friend of late singer-actress, Rosemary Clooney.
- Bette graduated as a valedictorian in high school.
- She was awarded the Star of the Hollywood Walk of Fame for recording at 6922 Hollywood Boulevard in Hollywood, California, United States, on February 6, 1985.
- She’s a staunch liberal Democrat.
- She was considered for the role of Zira in The Lion King 2: Simba’s Pride in 1998.
- It was said that the last syllable of Bette’s name is unpronounced because her mother thought that was how Bette Davis pronounced her name.
- She played as Lainie Kazan’s daughter in the 1988 film Beaches but she was only 5 years younger than her in real life.
- In April 1988, she got pregnant with her 2nd child with husband Martin von Haselberg but suffered a miscarriage.
- She’s friends with Debbie Harry, Debra Messing, and 50 Cent.
- She was 5 months pregnant with her daughter when she finished filming for Outrageous Fortune in 1987.
- She once rented an old house off Coldwater Canyon where Richard Chamberlain was her landlord.
- Midler launched a show in Las Vegas, Nevada, titled The Showgirl Must Go On. The show took place at Caesars Palace where she performed for 2 years.
- Visit her official website @ BetteMidler.com.
- Connect with Bette Midler on Twitter and Instagram.
Featured Image by Alan Light / Flickr / CC BY 2.0