|Billie Jean King Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 4.5 in|
|Date of Birth||November 22, 1943|
Billie Jean King is a former American World’s no. 1 professional tennis player who has compiled a total of 39 Grand Slam titles, 12 in singles, 16 in women’s doubles, and 11 in mixed doubles. King, who served as the United States’ captain in the Federation Cup for 3 years, was a member of the U.S winning team in 7 Federation Cups and 9 Wightman Cups.
Billie Jean King
Long Beach, California, United States
She attended Long Beach Polytechnic High School. After graduation, she went to Los Angeles State College (now California State University, Los Angeles).
Former Professional Tennis Player
- Father – Willis Jefferson Moffitt (Firefighter)
- Mother – Mildred Rose (Housewife)
- Siblings – Randy Moffitt (Brother) (Baseball Pitcher)
- Others – Willis Durkee Moffitt, Jr. (Paternal Grandfather), Blanche Gertrude “Gammie” Leighton (Paternal Grandmother), Roscoe William “Rocky” Jerman (Maternal Grandfather), and Doris Mae Holliday (Maternal Grandmother)
Billie Jean King is represented by World Team Tennis, League of Team Tennis, California, United States.
5 ft 4.5 in or 164 cm
61 kg or 134.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Girlfriend / Spouse
Billie Jean King has dated –
- Larry King (1964-1987) – Billie got engaged with her former husband Larry King in the fall of 1964 and the two had officially tied the knot on September 17, 1965, in Long Beach, California, United States. In 1968, she realized she was attracted to women and was romantically linked to her secretary Marilyn Barnett in 1971. Though she acknowledged the relationship after it went public in May 1981 when Barnett filed a palimony lawsuit, she still publicly called it a “fling” and a “mistake”. She remained married to Larry until the year 1987 when she fell in love with her doubles partner, Ilana Kloss.
- Marilyn Barnett (1971) – Shortly after realizing she was attracted to women, Billie started a relationship with her secretary Marilyn Barnett. Though the romance didn’t last long, Barnett filed a palimony lawsuit against Billie which caused her to lose an estimated $2 million in endorsements and forced her to extend her tennis career to sustain payments for her attorneys.
- Ilana Kloss (1987-Present) – Billie ended her marriage with Larry after she fell in love with her doubles partner Ilana Kloss.
Race / Ethnicity
She has English, Scottish, and Irish ancestry.
- Thin Lips
- Round Face
She was born into a conservative Methodist family.
Billie Jean King Favorite Things
- Color – Purple
Source – Tennis
Billie Jean King Facts
- She saved her own money to buy her first racket.
- She had quit her studies to focus more on tennis playing.
- She’s an advocate for gender equality and has long been a pioneer for equality and social justice. At the age of 29, she won the “Battle of the S*xes” tennis match against Bobby Riggs in 1973.
- She was the founder of the Women’s Tennis Association (WTA) and the Women’s Sports Foundation. King was also instrumental in persuading cigarette brand Virginia Slims to sponsor women’s tennis in the 1970s and went on to serve on the board of their parent company Philip Morris in the 2000s.
- She is regarded as one of the greatest women’s tennis players of all time.
- King was inducted into the International Tennis Hall of Fame in 1987 and in 1990, she was inducted into the National Women’s Hall of Fame.
- In 2006, the USTA National Tennis Center in New York City had been renamed the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center.
Featured Image by Gage Skidmore / Flickr / CC BY-SA 2.0