|Buzz Aldrin Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 10 in|
|Date of Birth||January 20, 1930|
Buzz Aldrin is an American former astronaut and fighter pilot who, in 1969, as the lunar module pilot of the Apollo 11 mission, had become the 2nd person to land on the moon. Before this, he had served as a jet fighter pilot during the Korean War where he had shot down 2 MiG-15 fighter jets. He was honored with the ‘Presidential Medal of Freedom’ in 1969. He has published the autobiographies Return to Earth (1973) and Magnificent Desolation (2009).
Edwin Eugene Aldrin Jr.
Buzz, Dr. Rendezvous
Glen Ridge, Essex County, New Jersey, United States
Satellite Beach, Brevard County, Florida, United States
Buzz had studied at the Montclair High School in New Jersey. He had then graduated 3rd in the class of 1951 from the United States Military Academy in West Point, New York, with a degree in mechanical engineering.
He had later earned a Doctor of Science (Sc.D.) degree, in 1963, in astronautics from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
Former Astronaut, Former Fighter Pilot
- Father – Edwin Eugene Aldrin Sr. (Former Executive at Standard Oil Co., Aviator in the US Army during World War I and World War II) (d. December 28, 1974)
- Mother – Marion Aldrin (née Moon) (d. 1968)
- Siblings – Fay Ann Aldrin (Older Sister), Madeleine Aldrin (Older Sister)
- Others – Karl Johan Aldrin (Paternal Grandfather), Anna Nilsdotter (Paternal Grandmother), Faye Arnold Moon (Maternal Grandfather), Jessie Elizabeth Ross (Maternal Grandmother)
5 ft 10 in or 178 cm
71 kg or 156.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Buzz has dated –
- Joan Archer (1952–1975) – Buzz had started dating Joan Archer in 1952 and the couple got married on December 29, 1954. They have 3 children together – a daughter named Janice Aldrin and 2 sons named Andrew Aldrin and James Aldrin. They had filed for divorce in 1974 and it was finalized in 1975. Through Janice, he has a grandson named Jeffrey Schuss. He also has 3 great-grandsons.
- Gina Lollobrigida (1969)
- Beverly Van Zile (1973–1978) – He began dating Beverly Van Zile in 1973 and the couple got married on December 31, 1975. They had parted ways in April 1978.
- Grace Lee Whitney (1980-1981)
- Lois Driggs Cannon (1986-2012) – Buzz had started dating Lois Driggs Cannon in 1986 and they got married on February 14, 1988. They got divorced in December 2012. Lois had passed away in July 2018.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Swedish descent on his father’s side and English, Scottish, Scots-Irish/Northern Irish, and distant German descent on his mother’s side.
- Mildly stocky frame
- Short-cropped, side-parted hair
- Sports a beard
Buzz Aldrin Facts
- His nickname, Buzz, was a result of his sister Fay Ann often mispronouncing the word ‘brother’ as ‘buzzer’. This was later shortened to ‘Buzz’ which was legalized as his first name in 1988.
- He was the starting center for Montclair High School’s unbeaten 1946 state champion football team.
- When he was selected as a member of NASA‘s ‘Astronaut Group 3’, he had become the first astronaut with a doctoral degree. The title of his doctoral thesis (Line-of-Sight Guidance Techniques for Manned Orbital Rendezvous) had earned him the nickname ‘Dr. Rendezvous’.
- He was the first person to hold a religious ceremony on the moon when he privately took communion there.
Featured Image by Buzz Aldrin / Instagram