|Carlos Santana Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 9½ in|
|Date of Birth||July 20, 1947|
Carlos Santana is a man who has been spelling the magic of his guitar for the last 4 decades and his fans have waved on his tunes. He has been well known for his contribution to world music with all the experiments and his taste in blending the music of two different poles and ethnicity to form an unforgettable track. His some of the famous blends are Latin, salsa, blues, rock, and Afro-Cuban styles with the pinches of jazz, fusion, and worldbeat. The clear sound of Santana’s guitar is made out of his PRS guitars.
Carlos is a guitarist who has a record of selling over 90 million tapes and performing forever in front of over 100 million public all over the world. His journey has seen many ups and downs since his initial fame in the late 1960s and early 1970s.
Autlán de Navarro, Jalisco, Mexico
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
Carlos went to James Lick Middle School. In 1965, he finished schooling from Mission High School.
Post that, he cleared his entrance to California State University Northridge and Humboldt State University but didn’t go and instead focused on his music career.
Musician, Songwriter, Bandleader
- Father – Jose Santana (Mariachi Musician)
- Mother – Josefina Barragan
- Siblings – Antonio (Brother), Laura (Sister), Irma (Sister), Leticia (Sister), Jorge (Younger Brother) (Professional Guitarist), Maria (Sister)
Carlos is represented by –
- Creative Artists Agency (Booking Agency)
- Michael Jensen, Jensen Communications (Publicist)
Latin rock, blues rock, jazz fusion
Guitar, percussion, vocals
RCA, Arista, Polydor, Columbia Records, CGD, PolyGram
5 ft 9½ in or 176.5 cm
73 kg or 161 pounds
Girlfriend / Spouse
Carlos Santana has dated –
- Deborah King (1973-2007) – In 1973, Carlos had married Deborah King, the daughter of Saunders King, singer, and guitarist of Blues. The couple was blessed with 3 wonderful children Salvador, Stella, and Angelica. After 34 years of marriage, on October 19, 2007, Deborah filed a divorce and stated ‘irreconcilable differences’.
- Cindy Blackman (2010-Present) – Later, on July 9, 2010, Carlos proposed to his drummer Cindy Blackman during a concert of the Universal Tone Tour at Tinley Park in suburban, Chicago. The couple officially got married in December 2010.
Race / Ethnicity
Carlos has Mexican ancestry.
- Attractive personality even after crossing 70
- Engaging style to hold the guitar
- Glowing skin has the caliber to attract new bees
In 2001, he was seen in a print ad for JBL home-theater speakers.
In 2013, he appeared in a TV commercial for Macy’s.
Carlos also supports –
- Andre Agassi Foundation for Education
- Artists for a New South Africa
- Clothes Off Our Back
- Elevate Hope Foundation
- Feeding America
Best Known For
- His band Santana’s second album ‘Abraxas’ which made him touch the heights of success and the album was ranked on the 1st position of the charts (Billboard 200), with the sale record of millions of copies
- His 1999 work, Supernatural is considered to be his best work which was certified as 15x Platinum in the U.S.
As a member of the band Santana, Carlos Santana released the album Santana in 1969. It received 2x Platinum certification in the U.S.
As a solo artist, Carlos released Love Devotion Surrender in 1973. It was certified as ‘Gold’ in the U.S.
Carlos made his first surprise debut in the music documentary film Woodstock, which gave him high publicity in 1970.
First TV Show
In September 1970, Carlos was first seen in the news music show Baff – Fast eine Sendung as himself.
First Live Show
He made his first stage performance with his band Santana in the year 1969.
Carlos Santana Favorite Things
- Food – Indian Cusine
- Musician – John McLaughlin
- Book – The Fifth Agreement by Don Miguel Ruiz
Source – TOI, Blues Magazine, Santana.com
Carlos Santana Facts
- Santana is the first band that has been named after its guitarist i.e. Carlos Santana.
- Carlos has played his Latin and African rhythms with Timbales and Congas which are not traditional rock instruments.
- He was listed at the 20th position by Rolling Stone magazine in its list of the ‘100 Greatest Guitarists’ in 2015.
- He started learning the violin at the age of 5 and guitar at the age of 8.
- At the age of 8, Carlos developed influence for B.B. King, Javier Bátiz, Mike Bloomfield, and John Lee Hooker, Gábor Szabó.
- His album Shape Shifter, released in the year 2012, had a song titled “Mr. Szabo” which was a dedication to Gábor Szabó.
- In the year 1973, Carlos collaborated with Sri Chinmoy from Bengal, India, and John McLaughlin to form a spiritually beautiful album named “Love, Devotion, Surrender”.
- In 1987, he participated in Rock ‘n’ Roll Summit.
- Carlos has a charitable front too. He has actively involved in San Francisco Earthquake Relief, Doctors Without Borders, Indigenous People Fund, Hispanic Media & Education Group, Amnesty International, LA Museum of Tolerance, and many such causes.
- Even with his first wife Deborah, he had formed a not-for-profit organization under the name Milagro (“Miracle”) Foundation to aid the needful for their health and education. The NPO funded $1.8 million to the underprivileged youth.
- He had also spent all his profits earned from Shaman tour, to provide funds for AIDS patients.
- His 1999 Supernatural album had sold 25 million copies worldwide and had won 11 Grammy Awards.
- In 2004, he was also honored by Latin Recording Academy as “Person of the Year”.
- A street in his native town ‘Autlan de Navarro’ has been named after his name.
- In July 2022, during a concert in Clarkston, Michigan, Carlos collapsed on stage due to exhaustion and dehydration.
- More information about Carlos can be found on Santana.com.
Featured Image by Chris Hakkens / Flickr / CC BY-SA 2.0