|Chris Tomlin Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 6 in|
|Date of Birth||May 4, 1972|
Chris Tomlin is an American singer, songwriter, author, and worship leader, best known for his songs Our God, Whom Shall I Fear (God of Angel Armies), How Great is Our God, as well as his cover of the Housefires’ song Good Good Father which held the 1st spot on the Hot Christian Songs chart for 7 weeks in 2015. He began his career with the release of independent albums such as Inside Your Love (1995), Authentic (1998), and Too Much Free Time (1998) with Ross King. However, it wasn’t until 2001 that he released his debut studio album, titled The Noise We Make, under sixstepsrecords and Sparrow recording labels. For that point on, his career was on the uprise, and he released studio albums such as The Noise We Make (2001), Not to Us (2002), Arriving (2004), See the Morning (2006), and Hello Love (2008). His 6th studio album, And If Our God Is for Us… (2010), won the “Best Contemporary Christian Music Album” category at the 54th Grammy Awards in February 2012.
Chris also went on to release albums such as Burning Lights (2013) which debuted at the 1st sport on the Billboard 200 chart, as well as Love Ran Red (2014), Never Lose Sight (2016), and Holy Roar (2018). In May 2018, Chris also moved from the Austin Stone Community Church and started a new church, The Passion City Church, in Atlanta, Georgia, United States with his friend and collaborator, Louie Giglio. Chris held his 1st service as a worship leader in early 2009. With that position, he has also performed at the Passion Gatherings with other members members of the church, and was a featured singer-songwriter for the majority of their live albums between 1997 and 2019, as well as studio albums, The Road to One Day (2000), Passion: Salvation’s Tide Is Rising (2016), and Glorioso Día (2017). Chris has also amassed a large fanbase online with more than 3.5 million followers on Facebook and more than 1.5 million followers on Twitter.
Christopher Dwayne Tomlin
Grand Saline, Texas, United States
Austin, Texas, United States
Chris attended Grand Saline High School in Grand Saline, Texas, United States, and graduated in 1990. He later got enrolled in Tyler Junior College in Tyler, Texas, United States because he wanted to pursue his career in medical or physical therapy. He graduated in 1992.
Right after graduation, Chris enrolled in Texas A&M University in College Station, Texas, United States, to study medicine, and graduated in 1994 with a bachelor’s degree in psychology.
Singer, Songwriter, Worship Leader, Author
- Father – Connie Tomlin
- Mother – Donna Tomlin
- Siblings – Ryan Tomlin (Younger Brother), Cory Tomlin (Younger Brother)
Chris Tomlin is represented by –
- Creative Artists Agency (Talent Agent) in the United States
- Richard De La Font Agency (Manager) in the United States
Contemporary Worship Music (CWM), Contemporary Christian Music (CCM), Christian Rock
Vocals, Acoustic Guitar
- sixstepsrecords (EMI)
- Sparrow Records
- Capitol Christian Music Group Deal
5 ft 6 in or 167.5 cm
68 kg or 150 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Chris Tomlin has dated –
- Lauren Bricken (2009-Present) – His official representative confirmed that Chris and Lauren Bricken began dating in 2009. In fact, after Chris moved to Atlanta, Georgia, the two dated briefly but broke up. Lauren wasn’t 100% sure if he was “the one”, a feeling shared by Chris as well. However, after a few months passed, Chris began realizing that she was special and that he “doesn’t know any girl quite like her.” Unfortunately, Lauren didn’t feel the same and was “cold as ice” telling him to move on, because she moved on already. In what she later called “divine circumstances” the two reconnected, and after the engagement announcement back in July 2010, got married on November 9, 2010. Chris’s good friend, Louie Giglio, whose church he joined in 2008, also congratulated them on a beautiful ceremony. The couple welcomed their 1st kid, a daughter named Ashlyn Alexandra Tomlin, on September 22, 2011, and their 2nd kid, also a daughter named Madison Amore Tomlin, on October 7, 2014.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of American descent.
Due to the advancing age, his hair color turned to ‘Salt and Pepper’.
- Prominent cheekbones
- Protruding ears
Chris Tomlin is a part of the charity named CompassionArt, and also became a board member of CURE International, a non-profit organization that seeks to bring proper medical care to all of the children in the developing world.
Best Known For
- His studio albums The Noise We Make (2001), Arriving (2004), And If Our God Is for Us… (2010), Burning Lights (2013), and Never Lose Sight (2016)
- Being a worship leader in his own church, The Passion City Church, in Atlanta, Georgia, United States, starting in 2008
- His social media fanbase with more than 3.5 million followers on Facebook, more than 1.5 million subscribers on YouTube, and more than 1.5 million followers on Twitter
Chris Tomlin released his debut studio album titled The Noise We Make in 2001, under Sparrow Records/sixstepsrecords labels, which was well-received by music critics. It consisted of 12 tracks in total, titled The Noise We Make, Forever, Kindness, Captured, America, The Wonderful Cross (ft. Matt Redman), Be Glorified, Need You Now, Happy Song, This is Our God, We Fall Down (Live from Botswana), and Forever (Radio Remix).
Chris Tomlin made his theatrical film debut as ‘Himself’ in the drama film Grace Unplugged in 2013. Other actors that were featured in the movie were AJ Michalka, Kevin Pollak, Michael Welch, Jamie Grace, Chris Ellis, Pia Toscano, and others.
First TV Show
Chris Tomlin made his first TV show appearance as ‘Himself’ in an episode titled A Fox and Friends Christmas – 2009 of the talk-show series, Fox and Friends in December 2009.
Chris Tomlin Favorite Things
- Personal Quote – “Worship is much more about seeing than it is singing. Worship opens our eyes and helps us see the truth in our faith. The church has been leading with politics for too long. The church’s place in the world is to lead with prayer. And one of music’s roles is to help us see more clearly through the fogginess of current events.”
Source – YouTube About
Chris Tomlin Facts
- He listened to country and western music at home growing up. His dad taught him how to play the guitar.
- Even as a kid, he loved the sound of people singing together in church.
- He wrote his 1st song at the of 14.
- Chris was always religious and knew God had a plan for him. He wanted to have a career in sports medicine but noticed God had given him a gift for music at some point. Since no one in his close family was an accomplished singer or musician, he started by performing in church and believed taking risky steps would get him far.
- Chris was the 4th singer to win the Sound Exchange Digital Radio Award for having more than 1 billion digital radio streams. Others were Garth Brooks, Pitbull, and Justin Timberlake.
- His version of the song Indescribable was used as the wake-up call for Patrick Forrester, Mission Specialist of the NASA Space Shuttle Mission STS-117 on June 14, 2007.
- His studio album Burning Lights (2013) was the 4th contemporary Christian album to top the US Billboard 200 chart.
- TIME magazine honored him on 2 occasions. In 2006, they called him “most often sung artist anywhere,” while in 2013 he was named “the most sung songwriter in the world.”
- In 2018, Chris announced he would launch his own publishing and recording imprint in partnership with Capitol Christian Music Group, named Bowyer & Bow. The 1st person he signed was his friend, a singer-songwriter, Pat Barrett. Besides working together on Chris’s world-renowned song cover, Good Good Father in 2015, the two have also released a children’s book together under the same name in 2016.
- He is an author of books such as The Way I Was Made: Words and Music for an Unusual Life (2009), Holy Roar: 7 Words That Will Change The Way You Worship (2018), and Holy Roar Study Guide: Seven Words That Will Change the Way You Worship (2019).
- Chris was awarded the Billionaire award from by the Pandora streaming platform for having more than a billion streams on the platform and was the 1st Christian artist to achieve that feat.
- As of early 2019, Chris has won 3 Billboard Music Awards, 1 Grammy Award, 19 Dove Awards, and was also named “Songwriter of the Year” in 2014 by GMA.
- In 2019, Chris became what he called a “funcle” or a foster uncle. Both of his younger brothers, Cory and Ryan, who were both married to nurses and had their own biological children, decided to foster kids with special needs who needed 24-hour attention. Chris and his wife have “kicked the same area around” but realized it would be impossible because he was always on the road.
- Visit his official website @ christomlin.com.
- Follow him on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, YouTube VEVO, Apple Music, Spotify, Last.fm, SoundCloud, and Discogs.
Featured Image by Dakota Lynch / Wikimedia / CC BY-SA 3.0