|Dale Soules Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 2 in|
|Date of Birth||October 2, 1946|
Dale Soules is an American actress, singer, and producer. She is best known for her role as Frieda Berlin in the Netflix web series Orange Is the New Black (2014-2019). She had a recurring role between the 2nd and the 6th season and was then promoted to the series regular.
New Jersey, United States
Dale attended West Milford High School in West Milford, New Jersey, United States. She studied acting in a Summer stock theater and later at Herbert Berghof Studio in Greenwich Village, New York City, New York, United States.
Actress, Producer, Singer
- Siblings – None
Dale Soules is represented by –
- Stewart Talent (Talent Agent) in New York City, New York, United States
- The Katz Company (Manager) in New York City, New York, United States
- Merle Frimark PR (Publicist) in New York City, New York, United States
5 ft 2 in or 157.5 cm
65 kg or 143.5 lbs
Race / Ethnicity
She has also dyed her hair ‘Red’ in the past.
- Thin lips
- Short height
Dale Soules has supported charities such as the Women’s Prison Association and The Ali Forney Center. She has also participated in events such as March For Our Lives and Broadway Sings For Pride that benefitted Tyler Clementi Foundation.
Dale Soules Facts
- She grew up in the Greenwood Lake area of West Milford, New Jersey.
- She sang in church choirs during high school.
- Dale lived in a house with no running water during high school and carried water from a nearby brook. She also wore outdated fashion and didn’t have the latest consumer goods.
- She was not a popular kid in high school and her classmates even moved away from her on the gym floor, perceived her as “dirty” and ostracized her in general.
- During high school, Dale enjoyed attending classes from her English/Great Books teacher who was also a frustrated actor.
- Growing up, being lesbian was looked at as an illness to be treated. She admitted to feeling suicidal until she started meeting people in the theater that were supportive and open-minded.
- Dale moved to New York in the mid-1960s to pursue a career in acting.
- Her 1st job in New York was working off-Broadway as a stage manager. She worked “like 5 jobs” – ran slides, sound, props, and lights, did laundry, ushered things, and earned $50 per week in total.
- The 1st play she worked on was A View from the Bridge by Arthur Miller.
- Her breakout role was playing Jeanie in the original Broadway production of the play Hair in 1968. She worked as an electrician on a play The Boys in the Band when the show opened and was determined to be on Hair when she saw it being prepared.
- She auditioned for Hair more than 20 times. When she asked the stage manager in private, he told her “There is a company astrologer and your sign, your chart just didn’t line up.” When Dale finally landed the role because other actresses weren’t available, she performed the play without any rehearsal and had her stage movement guided by other actors on the spot.
- Dale is an oral historian, teacher, and a Usual Suspect with New York Theatre Workshop.
- Alongside her Orange Is the New Black cast members, Dale was awarded a SAG Award for “Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series” in 2015, 2016, and 2017.
- If she had to describe her Orange Is the New Black character, Frieda, as simple as possible, Dale would call her “deeply repressed”.
- Her dad spent some time in prison and according to Dale, “came back from World War II a mental casualty and a full-blown alcoholic.”
Featured Image by Dale Soules / Instagram