|Dan Levy Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 11 in|
|Date of Birth||August 9, 1983|
Dan Levy is a Canadian actor, producer, and writer best known for creating and starring in the sitcom Schitt’s Creek with his father Eugene Levy who plays David Rose and his sister Sarah Levy cast as Twyla Sands in the show. He has also served as the host of the show, MTV Live. He has a huge social media fan base with more than 700k followers on Instagram, more than 100k followers on Facebook, and more than 300k followers on Twitter.
Daniel Joseph Levy
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- Los Angeles, California, United States
- Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Dan studied at a public school named North Toronto Collegiate Institute. He later took classes in film production at York University and Ryerson University.
Before his last year at Ryerson University, Dan took a 6-month Internship with ICM Talent Agency at their London office.
Actor, Writer, Producer, Reality TV Personality, Entrepreneur
- Father – Eugene Levy (Actor, Comedian, Producer, Director, and Writer)
- Mother – Deborah Divine Levy (Screenwriter)
- Siblings – Sarah Levy (Younger Sister) (Actress)
- Others – Joseph Levy aka Joe (Paternal Grandfather) (Foreman at an Automobile Plant), Rebecca Kudlats aka Betty (Paternal Grandmother), Fred Levy (Paternal Uncle) (TV Producer)
Dan is represented by –
- MGMT Entertainment, West Hollywood, California, United States
- William Morris Endeavor, Beverly Hills, California, United States
- David A. Krintzman, Morris Yorn Law Firm
5 ft 11 in or 180.5 cm
71 kg or 156.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Details about his romantic relationships and dating life are not known.
Race / Ethnicity
Multiracial (White and Hispanic)
He has Scottish, Polish, Bulgarian, and Spanish ancestry on his paternal side.
- His signature style of wearing thick-rimmed spectacles
- Prefers semi-formal clothing with a dash of bright color
- Thick eyebrows that he furrows into exaggerated expressions to create comic relief – an attribute inherited from his father, Eugene Levy
- He has served as the brand ambassador for The Hudson’s Bay Company (2011).
- Dan frequently promotes his commercial line of spectacles and sunglasses called L.Eyewear launched in 2013.
- He did an online and print ad campaign for Nordstrom in 2018 and has also endorsed McCafé bagels (2018).
He had his bar mitzvah in his early teens. Dan’s mother is a Protestant Christian, and he celebrates Christian traditions as much as Jewish traditions. He identified himself as a Halfie on Twitter.
Best Known For
- Being the son of Canadian actor and comedian Eugene Levy most commonly recognized outside Canada for starring in all the 8 American Pie films
- Winning massive critical acclaim for scripting, producing, and starring in the Canadian sitcom Schitt’s Creek. The show won the “Best Comedy Series” award twice (2016 & 2019) at the Canadian Screen Awards.
First TV Show
He made his TV show debut as a host on MTV Live in 2006.
- Dan was not athletic in high school. He preferred participating in school productions. By the age of 24, Dan’s belly fat disappeared because he radically reduced the frequency of consuming processed food.
- While living in Toronto, Levy used to work with a personal trainer at Totum Fitness on Yonge Street to maintain a lean and toned build. In his mid-thirties, the actor continued to stay fit after relocating to Los Angles. While living in the United States, Dan usually trains at Equinox.
- While visiting his family in Toronto, Dan prefers to travel by foot. He avoids public transit and rarely takes a cab. Levy shared that it takes him 45 minutes to travel from one end of Toronto to the other side.
- He is fond of gourmet food and fine dining. Dan frequently explores various cuisines at popular restaurants in Toronto, LA, NYC, and any other new city he gets to visit. He likes to drink wine with his meals.
- While working, he depends upon the Postmates application to order meals to his liking. Levy has frequently mentioned in interviews that he tends to be a bundle of nerves in high stake situations such as auditions or performing a scene with a veteran artist. Managing his anxiety takes consistent effort on this part that also causes occasional OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) tendencies.
Dan Levy Favorite Things
- Fashion Designer – Raf Simons, Phillip Lim
- Weekend Activity – Walking around the city and exploring
- Restaurant (In Toronto) – Terroni, The Swan, Torito
- Sight-Seeing Place (In Toronto) – The Art Gallery of Ontario
- Comedy Clubs (In Toronto) – Comedy Bar, The Second City
- Movies To Watch During Holiday Season – National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation (1989), Bridget Jones’s Diary (2001)
- All-Time Favorite TV Show – The Honeymooners (1955–1956)
- TV Network During Holiday Season – Lifetime
- Hometown Bar – Horseshoe Tavern (For live music), Black Hoof (For Cocktails)
- Brazilian BBQ Place (In Toronto) – Branca on Dundas Street West
- Fusion Food Restaurant – Patois Chinese-Jamaican restaurant
- Canadian Clothing Store – Jonathan + Olivia
- Toronto Neighborhood – Queen West
- Canadian Summer Festivals – Bestival at Woodbine Park, Field Trip at Fort York
- Wardrobe Essential – A pair of dress shoes
- Celebrity Style Icon – Paul Newman, Robert Redford, and Miles Davis
- Outfit – White T-shirt, Jeans, and Suede jodhpur boots
- Jeans – Levi’s 510 Skinny Fit Jeans (in 2018)
- Body Moisturizer – Kiehl’s Crème De Corps
- Luggage Brand – Herschel Supply Co.
- Breakfast Food – Bagel with herb and garlic cream cheese
- Room Fragrance – Chikuseiko Charcoal Incense
- Skin Serum – TruSkin Naturals Vitamin C Serum
- Face Care Product – Biologique Recherche Lotion P50
- Scented Candle – Maison Margiela Replica Lazy Sunday Morning Scented Candle
- Salt Brand – Jacobsen Infused Black & White Truffle Salt
- Cologne – Heeley Paris Agarwoud Cologne
- Guilty Pleasure – Candy People Swedish Dala Horse Gummy Candies
- Book – Principles by Ray Dalio
- Music Record – Aretha in Paris
- Celebrity Crush – The entire cast of Veep
- Place For Lenses (In LA) – Hye Optic
- Place For Tacos (In LA) – Taco Zone taco truck at Silver Lake
- Tailor (In LA) – Abaya Alterations
- Pet Grooming (In LA) – Tailwashers
- Plant Nursery (In LA) – Rolling Greens Nursery
- Mexican Restaurant (In LA) – El Condor
- Korean Restaurant (In LA) – The Commissary
- Bar (In LA) – Bar Stella, Silverlake
- TV Genre – British Crime Drama
- Musical Artist – Beyoncé
- Sitcom – Veep
Dan Levy Facts
- When Dan’s mother was expecting him, his parents were based in Los Angeles due to his father’s acting career. They made a conscious decision to relocate to their former home Toronto, to give their children a normal upbringing away from the glamor and accompanied entitlement of people in show business.
- Dan has been wearing prescription glasses since grade 3. When he launched his eyewear line in 2013, he shared that he owned more than 35 pairs of spectacles.
- Levy got his first part-time job at Gap Kids on Bloor Street followed by a brief stint at All the Best Fine Foods, a gourmet shop, and bakery. Before bagging a job with MTV, he worked in a video store.
- He had an entrepreneurial mindset since high school. Dan often took care of the logistics for his high school productions, such as finding a prop company to book furniture and set decorations.
- While in college, he created a T-shirt line with a friend. It was called De Nous à Toi (From Us to You) in which romantic messages were silk-screened onto the T-shirt. For instance, one shirt had an outline of an anatomically correct heart with a message in Times New Roman typeface that read, “I hurt here.”
- Dan came out to his family at the age of 18 when his mother respectfully inquired about his orientation one day during lunch.
- He gets his distinctive thick eyebrows trimmed but is totally against waxing or threading them to create a feminine arched shape which he thinks would take his facial grooming too far.
- Had it not been for the entertainment industry, Dan would have a career in the fashion industry or print media.
- Before creating a sitcom, Levy was a VJ for 8 years on MTV Canada. He hosted The Hills: Live After Show and The City: Live After Show.
- He covered the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics in a morning news segment for CTV.
- Dan was inspired by the core idea of Schitt’s Creek while watching reality TV. He wondered if the Kardashians would still act like the way they do if they lost all their money. The premise of the show was determined when during research he found out that once upon a time Kim Basinger bought a place called Braselton in Georgia.
- Schitt’s Creek gained massive popularity ever since it debuted on Netflix in January 2017. Die-hard fans of the show call themselves Schittheads.
- In 2013, Dan created Not a Real Company Productions with his father, Andrew Barnsley, and Fred Levy to create Schitt’s Creek. The name of the series was his father’s idea. Although Eugene contributed behind the scenes during the first season, Dan took over as showrunner from Season 2.
- He was elated when Mariah Carey retweeted a Gif from his show on Twitter.
- Levy owns Gwyneth Paltrow’s cookbook and likes to prepare the Turkey Bolognese recipe in case he has friends visiting for dinner.
- Initially, Dan was not happy about moving to Los Angeles for work because he liked New York City better and had a hard time adjusting to LA. A cab driver put his persistent complaints to rest when he made him realize that he should be grateful for the opportunity.
- Particularly when it comes to investing in skin care products, he shared that Amazon product reviews often influence his decision for a purchase.
- He owns a rescue dog which is a part corgi, part long-haired dachshund named Redmond.
- As a philanthropist, Dan has worked for Jane Goodall’s Roots & Shoots Organization, Mount Sinai and Sick Kids Hospitals. He is also a FITE Ambassador (Financial Independence Through Entrepreneurship), a program promoted by Dermalogica.
- Visit Dan’s company website @ dleyewear.com.
- To find out more about the actor, follow him on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.
Featured Image by Dan Levy / Instagram