|David Harewood Quick Info|
|Date of Birth||December 8, 1965|
David Harewood is an English actor who is best known for playing Director David Estes in the popular spy thriller TV series Homeland (2011–2012) and J’onn J’onzz/Martian Manhunter as well as Hank Henshaw/Cyborg Superman in the superhero TV series Supergirl (2015–present). For his performances in Supergirl, he was nominated for a prestigious Saturn Award in the category of ‘Best Supporting Actor on Television’ in 2019. He is also well-recognized for his work in films such as The Merchant of Venice (2004), Separate Lies (2005), Blood Diamond (2006), and Tulip Fever (2017). For his contribution to film and drama, he was appointed a ‘Member of the Order of the British Empire’ (MBE) in 2012. In 2019, he was included in Powerlist, an annual list of the ‘100 Most Influential People’ of African or African Caribbean ancestry in the United Kingdom.
Small Heath, Birmingham, West Midlands, England, United Kingdom
Streatham, Lambeth, Greater London, England, United Kingdom
David had attended St. Benedict’s Junior School and the Washwood Heath Academy in Birmingham. When he was 18 years old, he had joined the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art, a drama school in London.
- Father – Romeo Cornelius (Lorry Driver)
- Mother – Mayleen Cornelius (Caterer)
- Siblings – Paul Harewood (Brother), Rodger Harewood (Brother), Sandra Harewood (Sister)
6 ft or 183 cm
78 kg or 172 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
David has dated –
- Kirsty Handy (2013–Present) – David got married to his long-term girlfriend Kirsty Handy on February 26, 2013, in a ceremony in Saint James, Barbados. They have 2 daughters together named Maize and Raven.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Barbadian descent.
- Toned physique
- Short-cropped hair
- Clean-shaven look
- Prominent, pointy ears
David Harewood Facts
- David’s parents are both from the Caribbean island of Barbados. They had moved to England in the late 1950s and settled in Birmingham. In his youth, he used to work in a wine bar in Birmingham city center. Due to his long association with the city, he has been a staunch supporter of the soccer club Birmingham City F.C.
- He was a member of the National Youth Theatre of Great Britain, a London-based charity that works towards the development of youngsters by providing them a platform to nurture their talent in creative arts and theatre.
- In 1997, he became the first black actor to portray the iconic character of Othello at the National Theatre in London.
- In 2009, he portrayed Nelson Mandela in the BBC single drama, Mrs. Mandela. The same year, he also played Martin Luther King in The Mountaintop, a play that ran at Theatre503 in London.
- In 2013, he lent his voice to a video campaign for the British Lung Foundation which aimed at raising awareness against smoking in cars.
- David had featured in the 2018 Soccer Aid event, a British charity match that supports UNICEF UK, as a celebrity goalkeeper and saved 2 penalties during the penalty shootout to help his team win the match.
Featured Image by David Harewood / Instagram