|Demetrious Johnson Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 3 in|
|Date of Birth||August 13, 1986|
Demetrious Johnson has often been considered as one of the finest mixed martial artists. His tremendous performances in the Flyweight division that saw him defend his title on several occasions, has helped him earn cult status with most UFC fans. His ability to combine his wrestling background with quick speed and brutal clarity to dominate his opponents has made him a legend in the sport.
Demetrious Khrisna Johnson
DJ, Mighty Mouse
Madisonville, Kentucky, United States
Demetrious Johnson went to the Washington High School.
Mixed Martial Artist
- Father – Johnson has never met his biological father. He hasn’t even seen his picture.
- Mother – Karen Johnson (She is deaf)
- Others – His abusive stepfather assisted his mother in raising Johnson.
Demetrious Johnson is represented by his own management team, which is headed by First Round Management CEO and founder Malki Kawa.
Bantamweight (2007-2012), Flyweight (2012 onwards)
66 in or 168 cm
Pankration, Freestyle Wrestling, Muay Thai, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Catch Wrestling
5 ft 3 in or 160 cm
57 kg or 125.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Demetrious Johnson has dated –
- Destiny Johnson (2012-Present) – In May 2012, he got married to his longtime girlfriend, Destiny Johnson, in a romantic wedding in Hawaii. He has often credited his wife for his success and has claimed that she had helped him move on from his tough past. In 2013, Destiny gave birth to their first son, Tyron, who was followed by another son, Maverick, in April 2015. In August 2018, they welcomed a baby girl into their family.
Race / Ethnicity
He has African American ancestry.
Bald Head and heavy beard
Demetrious Johnson has inked a brand endorsement deal with Zevia Drinks. He often uses his social media posts to promote their products.
He has also used social media activity to promote other brands such as NormaTec and EA Sports.
Best Known For
Being one of the finest UFC fighters. He has been considered as one of the greatest mixed martial artists by the leading publications such as ESPN and MMA Weekly. He has been ranked as the #1 pound-for-pound fighter in Mixed Martial Arts by Sherdog.
First MMA Match
In 2007, he made his professional MMA debut in a match against Brandon Fieds at AX FC 16: Annihilation. He managed to knock out his opponent with a flurry of punches in the first round itself.
First TV Show
In 2010, he made his first TV show appearance on the sports series World Extreme Cagefighting as himself.
Demetrious Johnson relies on the professional advice of Donny Mateaki, the founder of DM Athletics, to improve his conditioning and strength. To boost his power and strength, he relies on big and complex lifts that work multiple muscle groups in a single go. For his cardio capacity, he relies on interval training style cardio exercises.
He also focuses on CrossFit style workouts to boost his endurance. And, to take his workout sessions to the next level, he doesn’t mind using fitness accessories such as anti-gravity boots and ab-rollers.
When he is not training for his fights, Johnson doesn’t follow a strict diet plan. He likes to eat and drink whatever he wants, whether it is a pizza or beer. But once he starts his camp preparation, he only eats clean and healthy food.
He starts his day with an Ezekiel bread. For dinner, he likes to have chicken with some green veggies such as broccoli or spinach.
He is also a big fan of juicing. In the morning, he usually drinks a lemon, ginger, and cayenne pepper shot. This shot serves as his morning coffee. He is also a big fan of wheatgrass juice.
Demetrious Johnson Favorite Things
- Cheat Food – Oreos, fried chicken, waffles, and beer
Source – GQ
Demetrious Johnson Facts
- While studying at Washington High School, he excelled in wrestling. He managed to finish in the 3rd spot in the junior year and in 2nd spot in his senior year.
- He also took up track and cross country to improve his athleticism for wrestling. He did well in both and managed to compete in the State Championships in both disciplines while at the high school.
- Before he decided to turn pro, he had competed in three amateur fights and had won two out of it. His one win came via knockout and another via submission.
- Having won all 10 of his professional fights, he made his World Extreme Cagefighting debut in the bantamweight category at WEC 48. However, it didn’t go well for him as he lost to Brad Pickett via unanimous decision.
- In February 2011, he made his UFC debut at UFC 126 in a fight against Japanese superstar Norifumi Yamamoto. He won the match via unanimous decision.
- In October 2011, he took on Dominick Cruz for the UFC Bantamweight title. However, he was defeated via unanimous decision.
- In September 2012, he became the inaugural UFC Flyweight Champion after having defeated Joseph Benavidez in a very close fight.
- In July 2013, he won his first Submission of the Night bonus award after he managed to overcome John Moraga via an armbar submission late in the 5th round.
- In December 2013, he won his first Knockout of the Night bonus award after he knocked out Joseph Benavidez in the first round of the match itself. He also became the first fighter to defeat Joseph Benavidez.
- In July 2017, he was declared Fighter of The Year at the ESPY Awards. The award came in recognition of his immense performances that saw him pull on a level with Anderson Silva for most consecutive title defenses (10) in UFC history.
- After defeating Ray Borg via suplex-to-armbar in the 5th round at UFC 216, he became the first UFC fighter to mound 11 consecutive title defenses. He also won the Performance of the Night award.
Featured Image by Demetrious Johnson / Instagram