|Denzel Dumfries Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 2 in|
|Date of Birth||April 18, 1996|
Denzel Dumfries is a Dutch professional soccer player who has represented, as a defender, Sparta Rotterdam (2014-2017), SC Heerenveen (2017-2018), and PSV Eindhoven (2018-2021) in the Netherlands; and Inter Milan (2021-Present) in Italy. With Sparta Rotterdam, he won the Eerste Divisie (the second-highest level of professional soccer in the Netherlands) title in the 2015-16 season which helped the team earn promotion to the Eredivisie (the highest level of professional soccer in the Netherlands) for the following season. For his performances in the 2018-19 season, representing PSV Eindhoven, Denzel was named in the ‘Eredivisie Team of the Year’. With Inter Milan, he won the Coppa Italia (the premier domestic knockout soccer competition in Italy) in the 2021-22 season and the Supercoppa Italiana in both 2021 and 2022. The Supercoppa Italiana is annually decided by a one-off match played between the winners of the previous season’s Serie A (the top tier of the Italian soccer league system) and Coppa Italia competitions. The club’s Coppa Italia title in the 2021-22 season was its 8th such and made it the then 3rd-most successful team in the competition. Inter Milan‘s Supercoppa Italiana victory in 2022 was its 7th such and made it the then 3rd-most successful team in the competition.
Denzel Justus Morris Dumfries
Rotterdam, South Holland, Netherlands
Professional Soccer Player
- Father – Boris Dumfries
- Mother – Marleen Dumfries
- Siblings – Demelza Dumfries (Older Sister), Danielle Dumfries (Younger Sister), Donovan Dumfries (Younger Brother)
- Others – Jason Wilnis (Cousin) (Professional Mixed Martial Artist, Former Kickboxer), Jahfarr Wilnis (Cousin) (Kickboxer)
- 22, 12, 2 – Netherlands
- 19, 14, 15, 2, 12 – Sparta Rotterdam
- 2 – SC Heerenveen, Inter Milan
- 22 – PSV Eindhoven
6 ft 2 in or 188 cm
80 kg or 176.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Denzel has dated –
- Jaimy Kenswiel (2014-Present) – Denzel began dating a party planner, stylist, and entrepreneur named Jaimy Kenswiel in 2014. The couple has 2 children together.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Aruban descent on his father’s side and Afro-Surinamese descent on his mother’s side.
- Toned physique
- Short-cropped, afro hair
- Affable smile
- Often sports a goatee
Denzel Dumfries Facts
- His parents had named him after the renowned American actor and filmmaker Denzel Washington.
- He started his youth career in 2000 when, as a 4-year-old, he joined a local team called Spartaan ’20. He spent about 2 years there but was released by the club as they did not consider him ‘good enough’ and he was reportedly not very well-liked by his teammates and trainers either.
- In 2002, Denzel joined the youth team of VV Smitshoek, an amateur soccer club based in Barendrecht, Netherlands. Around this time, he was playing as a striker but gradually transformed into a defender. After spending more than a decade there, in 2013, he was recruited by the youth team of another amateur club called BVV Barendrecht.
- In 2014, he joined the youth system of Sparta Rotterdam, the oldest professional soccer team in the Netherlands. He was promoted to the club’s senior team later that year.
- At the international level, Denzel was eligible to play for Aruba (a constituent country of the Kingdom of the Netherlands, located in the mid-south of the Caribbean Sea) through his father, Suriname through his mother, and the Netherlands due to his birth there and his residency. He initially turned out for Aruba in 2 matches, scoring 1 goal, in March 2014.
- However, he maintained a desire to represent the Netherlands as he felt that his international future belonged there. Denzel went on to represent the Netherlands at the under-20 (2016) and under-21 (2016-2018) tiers before making his senior national debut for the team in October 2018. The fans in Aruba were critical of his decision to play for the Netherlands, even going to the extent of branding him a ‘traitor’.
- With the Netherlands, Denzel finished as the runner-up at the 2018-19 edition of the UEFA (Union of European Football Associations) Nations League, the inaugural season of a continental competition that involves the men’s national teams of the 55 members of the UEFA.
- In the Netherlands’ opening group stage match of the 2020 edition (played in June and July 2021 due to the COVID-19 pandemic) of the UEFA European Championship aka the UEFA Euro (a quadrennial continental championship), against Ukraine, he scored the winning goal (in the 85th minute) in a crucial 3-2 victory. It was the 1st senior-level international goal of his career for the Netherlands.
- In the next match, a 2-0 win over Austria, Denzel scored the 2nd goal. These 2 wins were crucial in helping the Netherlands finish the group stage in pole position with a perfect haul of 9 points. The team was, however, knocked out in the pre-quarterfinal stage of the tournament after a 2-0 defeat at the hands of the Czech Republic.
- At the 2022 edition of the FIFA (Fédération Internationale de Football Association) World Cup, he scored the last goal (in the 81st minute) of a 3-1 win over the United States in the pre-quarterfinal stage.
- It was the 6th senior-level international goal of his career for the Netherlands. Denzel also provided the assists for his team’s first 2 goals in that match. The Netherlands lost out to eventual champions Argentina in the quarter-final stage of the tournament after a penalty shootout.
Featured Image by Denzel Dumfries / Instagram