|Deontay Wilder Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 6¾ in|
|Date of Birth||October 22, 1985|
Deontay Wilder is one of the most prominent heavyweight American boxers of his generation. His ability to deliver brutal knockouts have helped him carve his own special place in the boxing world. However, he hasn’t been able to earn as much fame as his accomplishments in the boxing warrants, which has been put down to his lack of orthodox boxing skills and his nice guy persona. However, with his team striving to arrange high profile bouts with British boxers – Anthony Joshua and Tyson Fury, he just might become a mainstream sensation.
Deontay Leshun Wilder
The Bronze Bomber
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, United States
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, United States
Deontay Wilder went to the Tuscaloosa Central High School in his hometown. After graduating from high school in 2004, he got enrolled at the Shelton State Community College.
Before joining Shelton State Community College, he wanted to join the University of Alabama as he dreamed of playing for Alabama Crimson Tide. However, the birth of his daughter, who had some health issues, and lack of grades forced him to join community college.
- Father – Gary Wilder
- Mother – Deborah Wilder
Deontay Wilder is managed by
- Jay Deas
- Shelly Finkel
83 in or 211 cm
6 ft 6¾ in or 200 cm
103 kg or 227 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Deontay Wilder has dated –
- Helen – Deontay was going out with Helen while he was studying in high school. When he was 19 years old, Helen gave birth to their daughter, Naieya, who was born with spina bifida. He has revealed in his interviews that it was because of Naieya’s birth and disability, he decided to give boxing a try. Since then, Naieya has undergone multiple surgeries and is as active as any other normal child. However, it seems that his relationship with Helen didn’t last long.
- Jessica Scales-Wilder – Deontay got married to Jessica Scales-Wilder in 2009. They had been together for some time. During the course of their marriage, Jessica gave birth to three children – a daughter named Ava and two sons, Deontay Jr. and Dereon. They eventually decided to separate as Deontay’s attention wandered.
- Telli Swift (2017-Present) – Deontay Wilder reportedly started going out with model and TV personality Telli Swift in 2017. Towards the end of the year, it was revealed that they were expecting their first child together. In March 2018, she took to her Instagram to introduce their daughter, Kaorii Lee Wilder to the world. They have also got engaged.
Race / Ethnicity
He has African-American ancestry.
- Imposing height
- Deontay Wilder has appeared in a TV commercial for Corona Extra.
- He has also used his social media activity to promote products and brands such as boohooMAN clothing.
He is a devout Christian and regularly credits his faith for his success.
Best Known For
Having served as one of the best heavyweight boxers in the world. He is particularly known for efficiently knocking out his opponents. Until August 2018, he managed to win all 40 of his fights. Out of these 40 victories, just one didn’t arrive via knockout.
First Boxing Match
In November 2008, he made his professional boxing debut in a boxing event held at the Vanderbilt University Memorial Gymnasium in Nashville. He knocked Ethan Cox out in the second round of the bout.
First TV Show
In August 2012, he made his first TV show appearance in the sports series, Golden Boy Boxing (originally titled as Fight Night Club).
Deontay Wilder isn’t a fan of old-school running down the roads to start his training regime. In fact, he doesn’t like running on a hard surface as he believes it isn’t good for his knees. He instead likes to run in the water. He uses a device called Aquajogger, which allows him to run and sprint inside the water. Along with running, he also works on his boxing technique under the water. He also swims traditional laps as part of his workout regime.
He usually trains under the guidance of Peter Khoury. To add extra resistance to Wilder’s workout, Khoury adds flotation devices to his ankles and makes him wear swim gloves as he goes through his boxing movements. Even when he is not training for boxing, he relies on water to keep himself in shape. He goes kayaking near his home and loves it when the wind is blowing as it adds resistance.
He also trains in the gym. He gets on the treadmill for his cardio work. He usually performs 30 reps of 30 seconds sprints, which are followed by 30 seconds of rest. He usually sets the machine at level 9 incline. He also works on his balance by using accessories such as Bosu ball. Another routine that is a part of his gym workout is to wear a 25-pound vest and grabbing a pair of 50-pound dumbbells. Then, he starts moving up and down the gym stairs and performs the sequence for 3 minutes.
Deontay Wilder Favorite Things
- Fighter – Muhammad Ali
Source – AL
Deontay Wilder Facts
- While studying in high school, he excelled in basketball as well as football. But his circumstances forced him away from both the games and forced him to focus on boxing.
- He officially started his boxing training at the age of 21 in October 2005. He started training under the guidance of Jay Deas at Skyy Boxing Gym in Northport, Alabama.
- He got his first big breakthrough in 2007 as he managed to produce an upset by overcoming tournament favorite to claim the National Golden Gloves. He also went on to defeat cadet world champion Isiah Thomas and David Thompson in the tournament.
- At the US Championships in 2007, he managed to defeat tournament favorite, Quantis Graves. In the finals, he overcame James Zimmerman to further cement his reputation as one of the most promising boxers.
- At the 2008 Olympics, he managed to reach the semi-finals of the heavyweight discipline, where he was defeated by Italian boxer, Clemente Russo. He ended with a bronze medal at the Olympics debut.
- When he ended his amateur boxing career, his record stood at respectable 30-5.
- By October 2012, he was attracting a lot of attention because of his sterling performances in the professional circuit. He had earned a 25-fight win streak with all the matches won by knockouts within 4 rounds.
- In December 2012, he claimed his first professional title as he won WBC Continental Americas heavyweight title after having sent Kelvin Price crashing into ropes and then down on the floor with viciously struck right-handed punch in the third round.
- In January 2015, he became the WBC heavyweight champion after having defeated the reigning champion Bermane Stiverne. He also managed to win over critics as the fight lasted for 12 rounds and he proved that he had the technical ability and stamina to last the distance.
- Follow him on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Featured Image by Layton Dudley / Flickr / CC BY-SA 2.0