|Deryck Whibley Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 7 in|
|Date of Birth||March 21, 1980|
Deryck Whibley is a Canadian singer, songwriter, record producer, and multi-instrumentalist who is most well known for being the lead vocalist, guitarist, songwriter, and music producer for the rock band Sum 41. The band has released numerous studio albums that have achieved “Platinum” certification in Canada. Deryck, as a part of Sum 41, won the esteemed Juno Award in 2002 for “Group of the Year” and in 2005 for ‘Rock Album of the Year’ (for the album titled Chuck).
Deryck Jason Whibley
Scarborough, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Los Angeles, California, United States
Deryck studied at the Southwood Park Public School in Ajax, Ontario and then attended Exeter High School.
Singer, Songwriter, Record Producer
- Mother – Michelle Whibley
- Others – Matt Whibley (Cousin) (Musician), John Whibley (Maternal Grandfather), Mary Whibley (Maternal Grandmother), Kevin Gordon (Stepfather)
He is represented by –
- Ron Laffitte, General Manager, Patriot Management, Mountain View, California, United States
- Chris Nary, General Manager, Patriot Management, Mountain View, California, United States
- Dayna Ghiraldi, Publicist, Big Picture Media, New York City, New York, United States
- Katy Cooper, Tour Publicist, Big Picture Media, New York City, New York, United States
- Dave Shapiro, Booking Agent (USA), Sound Talent Group, El Cajon, California, United States
- Jason Furman, Booking Agent (Canada), The Feldman Agency, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- Geoff Meall, Booking Agent (Rest of the World), Paradigm Talent Agency, Los Angeles, California, United States
Pop Punk, Alternative Rock, Punk Rock, Skate Punk, Alternative Metal, Melodic Hardcore, Hard Rock, Heavy Metal
Vocals, Guitar, Piano, Drums
- Island Records
- Aquarius Records
- Hopeless Records
5 ft 7 in or 170 cm
65 kg or 143.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Deryck has dated –
- Paris Hilton (2003)
- Avril Lavigne (2003-2010) – Deryck began dating fellow Canadian singer Avril Lavigne in 2003 and proposed to her in June 2005. The couple got married on July 15, 2006, at a private estate in Montecito, California. They parted ways amicably and Avril moved for divorce on October 9, 2009, which was finalized November 16, 2010.
- Hanna Beth Merjos (2009-2010)
- Ariana Cooper (2012-Present) – Deryck married model Ariana Cooper on August 30, 2015.
- Jocelyn Aguilar (2013-2014)
Race / Ethnicity
He is of English descent.
He often tends to dye his hair light brown or dark brown.
- Spiked, disheveled, dyed hair
- Has a tattoo on his left shoulder
- Affable smile
- Has tattoos on both his forearms
- Sports a light stubble
Deryck Whibley Favorite Things
- Singer/Instrumentalist – Duff McKagan
- Music Bands – Guns N’ Roses, Aerosmith
- Songwriter – Tom Petty
- Song – Square One (2005)
Source – Forbes
Deryck Whibley Facts
- He co-founded the band Sum 41 in 1996 and they were initially known as Kaspir. Originally, they were a cover band for the Los Angeles-based punk rock group NOFX but launched their first album titled Half Hour of Power in 2000 after signing an international deal with the record label Island Records in 1999.
- The album’s very first single titled Fat Lip peaked at number 1 on the Billboard Modern Rock Tracks chart. Deryck and the band released their 2nd album titled All Killer No Filler in 2001 and it received “Platinum” certification in the United States, UK, and Canada.
- Apart from his work with Sum 41, Deryck has also had a parallel career as a music producer and manager and has been a part of the music management and production company Bunk Rock Music via which he produces for the Canadian hardcore punk band called No Warning.
- When Sum 41 took a hiatus from 2005 to 2006, he collaborated with Tommy Lee to provide guitar and backing vocals for his 2005 album, Tommyland: The Ride. He also collaborated with Iggy Pop for the 2005 compilation album A Million in Prizes: The Anthology.
- Deryck also has a few acting credits to his name. He played a cameo role in the sitcom King of the Hill and portrayed the character of Tony in the 2005 romantic comedy film Dirty Love.
- In November 2007, while he was on tour with Sum 41, he suffered a herniated disc while drumming. The rest of the tour had to be canceled, as a result. Ironically, the song being performed when the incident happened was titled Pain for Pleasure.
- On August 5, 2010, he was attacked in a bar in Japan by 3 unknown assailants. Following the incident, he was hospitalized and an MRI scan revealed a herniated disc, again. Although the doctors advised him against it, he joined his band on August 8, 2010, for a performance in Osaka at the Summer Sonic Festival.
Featured Image by Fems738 / Wikimedia / CC BY-SA 4.0