|Diego Godín Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 1¼ in|
|Date of Birth||February 16, 1986|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Diego Godín is a Uruguayan professional footballer who is best known for his career as a centre-back for Argentine Primera División club Vélez Sarsfield and as the captain of the Uruguay national team. He is considered as one of the best defenders of his generation and has also played for teams like Cerro, Villarreal, Atlético Madrid, Nacional, Inter Milan, and Atlético Mineiro in the past. During the course of his career, Diego has won tournaments such as Copa del Rey, La Liga, UEFA Europa League, Supercopa de España, UEFA Super Cup, Campeonato Mineiro, Copa América, Supercopa do Brasil, and has received honors such as La Liga‘s “Player of the Month” and La Liga‘s “Best Defender”.
Diego Roberto Godín Leal
- Father – Julio Godin
- Mother – Iris Leal
Godin is signed with Corner Association.
6 ft 1¼ in or 186 cm
79 kg or 174 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Diego Godin dated –
- Sofia Herrera – Diego is married to Uruguayan blonde Sofia Herrera.
Race / Ethnicity
Diego was seen in a TV commercial for the sportswear company Puma.
Best Known For
He is considered as one of the best center backs in the world, known for the important goals he scored during the 2013-2014 season when Atlético Madrid was able to win the Primera Division title.
First Football Match
On August 27, 2010, Diego debuted for Atlético Madrid in a victory against Inter Milan.
His international debut happened in 2005 in a friendly match between Uruguay and Mexico. At the time, Diego was only 19 years old.
- Defensive contribution
- Aerial duels
- Great teammate
- Offensive contribution
The Uruguayan star is a decent worker, not one of the hardest, but still, he keeps his body in shape. He is not a fan of weightlifting exercises and that’s why most of his workouts are done by using his body weight as a resistance. Godin does a lot of conditioning training such as high-intensity sprinting and sand dunes training during the off-season.
Despite the fact that he is not very muscular, his core strength can be seen through his ability to absorb a contact by a taller and a much stronger opponent.
The muscles of the core are a proven way to improve the athletic performance of a player. Therefore, we give you a couple of exercise videos with which you can combine and make your own core workout.
Before you go and check the videos, we want you to make sure that you know the complete core anatomy. There are numerous abdominal muscles including obliques, trapezius, gluteus maximus, and latissimus dorsi.
Diego Godin Facts
- At the age of 4, Diego nearly drowned in a river. Fortunately, he swam to shore without the help of anybody.
- He started his professional career at the age of 17 in a local club called C.A. Cerro.
- In 2006, Diego moved to Club Nacional de Football and after a short amount of time, he was named the team captain.
- In August 2007, Godin agreed to the terms of Villarreal CF and signed a five-year contract.
- On August 4, 2010, Diego got transferred to Atletico Madrid. He agreed to a five-year contract worth around 8 million euros.
- On November 1, 2013, he extended his deal with Atletico Madrid until 2018.
- He was a part of the national team of Uruguay at the 2007 Copa America.
- Diego was selected in the UEFA Team of the Year in 2014.