|Dinara Safina Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 1 in|
|Date of Birth||April 27, 1986|
Dinara Safina is a Russian former professional tennis player who had excelled in both the singles and the doubles formats of the sport, having been ranked number 1 in the world in the official WTA (Women’s Tennis Association) singles rankings and as high as number 8 in the doubles rankings. In the singles format, she had reached the final of the French Open (2008, 2009) and the Australian Open (2009) as well as the semifinal of the US Open (2008) and Wimbledon (2009). Although a singles Grand Slam title remained elusive, she made up for it in the doubles format, by winning the US Open title in 2007. Representing Russia, she had won the prestigious Fed Cup team event in 2005. She had also won a ‘Silver’ medal for Russia at the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing, in the women’s singles event. She had announced her retirement from the sport in May 2014, having been absent from competitive tennis since 2011 due to a chronic back injury.
Dinara Mubinovna Safina
Monte Carlo, Monaco
Professional Tennis Player (Retired)
- Father – Mubin ‘Mikhail’ Safin (Former Tennis Player, Tennis Coach, Tennis Club Director)
- Mother – Rauza Islanova (Former Tennis Player, Tennis Coach)
- Siblings – Marat Safin (Older Brother) (Former Professional Tennis Player, Politician)
Right-Handed (Two-Handed Backhand)
6 ft 1 in or 185.5 cm
70 kg or 154.5 lbs
Race / Ethnicity
She is of Tatar descent.
She often tends to dye her hair blonde or red.
- Toned physique
- Shoulder-length, straight hair
- Radiant face
- Affable smile
Dinara Safina Facts
- When Dinara was 8 years old, her family had moved temporarily to Valencia, Spain, due to which, she became fluent in the Spanish language. Apart from Spanish and her native Tatar language, she is proficient in both Russian and English.
- When she won her first WTA title in Sopot in 2002, where she had defeated 2 seeded players, she had become the youngest player to win a WTA title in 4 years and the first qualifier to win such a title in nearly 3 years. Her win had propelled her into the ‘Top 100’ of the official WTA singles rankings for the first time in her career. She often terms this title win as the best memory of her playing career.
- In 2008, she had become the first female tennis player in history to have defeated 3 different reigning World No. 1 players within the same calendar year. That year, she had defeated then-World No. 1 players – Justine Henin in the third round of the German Open, Maria Sharapova in the 4th round of the French Open, and Jelena Janković in the quarterfinal of the Beijing Olympics.
- Dinara and her older brother Marat were the first brother-sister pair in tennis history to have both achieved the coveted World No. 1 singles ranking. The brother-sister duo had also teamed up for the 2009 Hopman Cup, a mixed-gender international tournament, where they had represented Russia and were losing finalists.
- In April 2009, she had become just the 2nd Russian player, after Maria Sharapova, to heave reached the number 1 spot in the official WTA singles rankings.
Featured Image by Dinara Safina / Instagram