|Maria Sharapova Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 2 in|
|Date of Birth||April 19, 1987|
Maria Sharapova is a Russian former professional tennis player who became the world No. 1 for the first time on August 22, 2005, when she was 18 years old, becoming the first Russian female tennis player to top the singles rankings. The legendary athlete has won several accolades including 5 Grand Slam titles – 2 at the French Open and one each at the Australian Open, Wimbledon, and the US Open as well as the year-ending WTA Finals in her debut in 2004. She has also been a United Nations Development Programme Goodwill Ambassador, concerned specifically with the Chernobyl Recovery and Development Programme, and was named one of the “30 Legends of Women’s Tennis: Past, Present and Future” by Time in June 2011 and one of the “100 Greatest of All Time” by Tennis Channel in March 2012. In addition to that, she has been named the highest-paid female athlete in the world by Forbes for 11 consecutive years.
Maria Yuryevna Sharapova
Masha, The Siberian Siren, Sibirskaya Sirena
Nyagan, Russian SFSR, Soviet Union
Bradenton, Florida, United States
Maria had focused on her tennis career from her childhood. She attended Martina Navratilova’s tennis clinic in Moscow. She was suggested by Martina to join Nick Bollettieri Tennis Academy in Florida to get better exposure.
She traveled to the USA with her father (by borrowing the money) and joined the academy. Though they were short of money, her father managed by doing various jobs, mostly low-paying ones in America.
Professional Tennis Player
- Father – Yuri Sharapova
- Mother – Elena Sharapova
- Others – Petr Pavlovich Pomyatinskiy (Maternal Grandfather), Tamara Dmitrievna (Maternal Grandmother)
Max Eisenbud (from IMG Models) has been the manager of the famous pro tennis player, Maria.
Right-handed (Two-Handed Backhand)
April 19, 2001
6 ft 2 in or 188 cm
68 kg or 150 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Sharapova has dated –
- Adam Levine (2005) – American singer, Adam Levine dated Maria for a short time in 2005. He revealed about his dating in an interview given to a magazine, which was later revealed that the interview never happened and that Levine would sue the magazine for this whole gossip.
- Andy Roddick (2005-2006) – American tennis player, Andy Roddick and Sharapova dated for a year from 2005 to November 2006. They are the top tennis players. The duo has also appeared together on various red carpet occasions.
- Charlie Ebersol (2008) – Charlie Ebersol, co-creator of USA’s “The Moment” also dated Sharapova in 2008.
- Sasha Vujacic (2009-2012) – After separating from Charlie, Maria started dating Slovenian pro basketball player, Sasha Vujacic in November 2009. They engaged in October 2010, after a year of dating. However, this relationship also came to an end in 2012. They separated in May 2012, which was announced by Sharapova on August 31, 2012.
- Grigor Dimitrov (2012-2015) – Bulgarian tennis player, Grigor Dimitrov commenced dating Maria in October 2012. They dated for more than 2 years and called it quits in June 2015.
- Andres Velencoso
- Alexander Gilkes (2018-Present) – She started dating art dealer Alexander Gilkes in 2018. The couple got engaged in December 2020.
Race / Ethnicity
Maria Sharapova is of Russian descent.
- Towering height
- Shouts loudly at the time of hitting the ball
- 2 handed backhand
36-26-36 in or 91.5-66-91.5 cm
4 (US) or 36 (EU) or 8 (UK)
11 (US) or 8.5 (UK) or 41.5 (EU)
Evian mineral water, Sony Ericsson, Prince, Nike, Tiffany & Co., Colgate, Gatorade, Land Rover, Parlux, Tag Heuer, Tropicana, Canon, Porsche (signed a three-year contract in 2013), Motorola, Gatorade, Tropicana, Head racquets, Sports Illustrated catalog, Cole Haan, Maria Sharapova fragrance, and Samsung.
Best Known For
Playing tennis and appearing in various commercials in print and television.
First Grand Slam Singles Wins
Sharapova won her singles Grand Slam titles for the first time in the years –
- Australian Open – 2008
- French Open – 2012
- Wimbledon – 2004
- US Open – 2006
Sharapova is a food lover. Being a sportsperson, she needs to be strong and cannot deprive herself of the essential foods. So, she eats all the food, by keeping a balance between the carbs and proteins. Maria likes to have three big meals in a day and also eats sweets or cookies if she craves them. If she is ever told not to eat a particular food, then she binges on that food, even more. She also eats fresh fruits during the day.
Regarding workout, her number one activity is playing tennis itself. But, she does yoga and biking to stay away from boredom. To even keep her boredom miles away, she also does dancing. She takes a rope with her on a tour. As it is not possible to go with the usual workout, Maria does jumping ropes, while on a tour.
Maria Sharapova Favorite Things
- Food – Crepes with Nutella. She likes to eat Russian and Thai food.
- Designer – Vera Wang
- Vacation Destination – Le Marais, Paris
- Restaurant – Craft Los Angeles
- Shopping Place – Kitson in Robertson Boulevard, LA
Source – LA-Confidential-Magazine.com
Maria Sharapova Facts
- She has a pet dog named Dolce.
- Her native name is Мария Юрьевна Шарапова.
- She is the highest-paid female athlete in the world.
- Even though she played under the banner of Russia with the Women’s Tennis Association (WTA), she has been a United States permanent resident since 1994.
- Maria graced the magazine cover of Esquire Mexico in May 2013, D Italy in August 2013. Apart from these, she has also appeared on the cover of the Russian edition of Tatler, Harper’s Bazaar, and Glamour from 2011 to 2013.
- Maria has also achieved world ranking #1 in 2005 in singles, whereas in doubles, she could only reach #41 in June 2004.
- Her parents are from Gomel, Belarus. But, they left their country in 1986 (a couple of months before Maria was born) after a nuclear accident.
- In March 2012, Tennis Channel included her in the list of “100 Greatest of All Time”.
- Maria received her first racquet at the age of four (in 1991) from Aleksandr Kafelnikov, whose son turned pro in 1992 and later achieved the #1 singles men’s rankings in 1999. Aleksandr was Maria’s father’s friend.
- She joined IMG models at the age of 8 (in 1995).
- She likes to shop vintage products like dresses, jewelry, etc.
- She runs a charity called “The Maria Sharapova Foundation” dedicated to helping children achieve their dreams.
- Maria made her Olympic debut in 2012 with the London’s Summer Olympics 2012 and won the Silver medal there.
- During the 2016 Australian Open, she failed the drug test as she was found positive for meldonium which is banned by World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA). She was banned from playing tennis for 15 months starting from June 8, 2016.
- On September 12, 2017, her autobiography titled Unstoppable: My Life So Far was published by Sarah Crichton Books.
- She made a cameo appearance in the 2018 American heist comedy film, Ocean’s 8, starring Sandra Bullock, Cate Blanchett, Anne Hathaway, Mindy Kaling, Sarah Paulson, Awkwafina, Rihanna, and Helena Bonham Carter.