|Mindy Kaling Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 4 in|
|Date of Birth||June 24, 1979|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Mindy Kaling is an American actress, comedian, voiceover artist, writer, producer, and director who rose to fame by appearing as Kelly Kapoor in the NBC sitcom The Office. Since then, she has been cast in several on-screen projects in roles such as Dr. Mindy Lahiri in The Mindy Project, Priya Patel in Champions, Amita in Ocean’s 8, Amy in The 40-Year-Old Virgin, The Docent in Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian, Shira in No Strings Attached, Vaneetha in The Five-Year Engagement, Sarah in The Night Before, and Mrs. Who in A Wrinkle in Time. Moreover, she has also done voiceover work in projects like Despicable Me, Wreck-It Ralph, Inside Out, Riley’s First Date?, and Animals.
Vera Mindy Chokalingam
Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States
Los Angeles, California, United States
In 1997, she graduated from Buckingham Browne & Nichols School in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
In 1998, she enrolled herself at Dartmouth College in Hanover, New Hampshire, and graduated with a Bachelor’s degree in Playwriting in 2001. In June 2018, she received an honorary degree of Doctor of Humane Letters from Dartmouth College.
Actress, Comedian, Writer, Executive Producer, Voiceover Artist, Director
- Father – Avu Chokalingam (Architect)
- Mother – Dr. Swati Chokalingam (née Roysircar) (Obstetrician/gynecologist (OBGYN)) (Died of pancreatic cancer in 2012)
- Siblings – Vijay Jojo Chokalingam (Older Brother) (Anti-affirmative action activist)
- Others – Nepal Chandra Raisircar (Maternal Grandfather), Amita Roychoudhury (Maternal Grandmother)
She has been signed to 3 Arts Entertainment.
Satire, Improvisational Comedy, Sketch Comedy, Stand-up Comedy
Stand-up, Television, Film, Books
American Culture, Pop Culture
5 ft 4 in or 162½ cm
65 kg or 143 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Mindy Kaling has dated –
- B. J. Novak (2005-2007) – Actor B. J. Novak and Mindy were an item for two years from 2005 to 2007.
- Benjamin Nugent (2008-2012) – Mindy started dating American writer Benjamin Nugent in April 2008, who is known for his novel American Nerd: The Story of My People. They split in 2012, after dating for 4 years.
Note – She is the mother to 2 children, daughter Katherine Swati (b. December 2017) and son Spencer Avu (b. September 3, 2020). Katherine’s nickname is Kit, whereas, Spencer’s nickname is Spike.
Race / Ethnicity
Both her parents are Indian. She has Tamilian roots on her father’s side and is of Bengali descent on her mother’s side.
36-29-37 in or 86-74-94 cm
10 (US) or 40 (EU)
7 (US) or 4.5 (UK) or 37.5 (EU)
Mindy has appeared in numerous commercials including Nationwide Insurance (2015), American Express Credit Card (2015), Xfinity X1 Platform entertainment operating system (2013), and others.
She has appeared in an American Express commercial.
Best Known For
Playing the main role as Kelly Kapoor in the NBC sitcom The Office. She appeared in a total of 174 episodes and besides acting, she was also an executive producer, director, and writer.
Mindy debuted with the 2005 comedy film The 40-Year-Old Virgin for her role as Amy.
As a voiceover artist, she made her theatrical film debut by providing vocals to the character of The Tourist Mom in the computer-animated comedy film, Despicable Me, in 2010.
First TV Show
In 2005, Mindy appeared in HBO’s comedy series Curb Your Enthusiasm as Richard Lewis’s Assistant in just one episode titled “Lewis Needs a Kidney.”
She made her television debut as a voice actress by providing vocals to the character of Sandy in an episode titled Squirrels of the animated comedy series, Animals, in April 2017.
She works out and goes to barre boutique classes. She shared the same on Instagram.
She keeps changing her workout routine and even does some running.
Mindy Kaling Favorite Things
- Food – Australian red licorice
- TV Show – The Walking Dead (2010-Present)
- Vacation – New York City
- Fictional Couple – You’ve Got Mail‘s Joe Fox and Kathleen Kelly
- Onscreen Boyfriend – Brendan Deslaurier (played by Mark Duplass), Pastor Casey (played by Anders Holm)
Source – Marie Claire, Just Jared
Mindy Kaling Facts
- Mindy can translate the Latin language.
- Kaling in an enthusiastic slow jogger.
- She lost her mother in 2012 due to pancreatic cancer.
- She cites Conan O’Brien as her influence on her comedy career.
- While at Dartmouth College, she was a part of the improvisational comedy troupe, a cappella group, and a writer for the college’s humor magazine. She was really active.
- Just after completing college, Mindy worked as a production assistant for nearly three months, which has been one of her worst job experiences.
- Her parents had first met in Nigeria when they both were working in the same hospital – her mom was a doctor there, and her dad was supervising the building of the wing.
- She is good friends with actor David Harris.
- She was the first female member when she joined The Office writing team at the age of 24.
- Paul Simon‘s Graceland album makes her cry.
- Moodiness is her pet peeve.
- She cannot live without the Hopscotch coding app.
- She supports Pancan.org charity.
- She has a celebrity crush on Jon Stewart.
- She believes Bridget Jones’s Diary (2001) had the greatest ending.
- Her middle name has been taken from the sitcom Mork & Mindy (1978-1982). Actually, her parents were in Nigeria, when Mindy was in her mother’s womb, and Mork & Mindy was the only American show, they got to see there in Nigeria.
- Mindy was also included among the 100 influential people of TIME magazine in 2012.
- She was included in the list of Time Magazine’s “100 Most Influential People in the World” in 2013.
- She has described her parents as “confirmed conservative Republicans”.
- She was given a place in the Glamour’s Women of the Year list in 2014.
- For her role in the 2018 science fantasy adventure film A Wrinkle in Time, she was nominated for Teen Choice Award for “Choice Movie Actress: Fantasy”.
- She has a 1% stake in the football team, Swansea City A.F.C.
- B. J. Novak is the godfather to her daughter Katherine Swati.
- Mindy was the winner of the 2020 People’s Choice Award in the category of “Best TV Show of 2020” for the show Never Have I Ever.
- She was on the cover of Vogue India’s December 2020 issue. This was her first-ever Vogue cover. Initially, she had thought to say ‘No’ to this offer because she was not feeling body-confident as she had given birth to Spencer 6 weeks back.
- She has authored books like Why Not Me?, Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?, and Nothing Like I Imagined.
- In May 2022, Mindy was honored with an award at Gold House’s Inaugural Gold Gala: A New Gold Age.