Conan Christopher O’Brien
Consie, Coney, The Cone-Zone, Conando, Coco, Big Red, The Maestro, The Conebone
Brookline, Massachusetts, United States
Conan O’Brien has a mega mansion that is spread over 11,600 square foot in posh Pacific Palisades neighborhood of Los Angeles.
He had another luxurious mansion in Brentwood area but he has sold it since.
Conan O’Brien went to the Brookline High School. He graduated from high school as a valedictorian in 1981 and got admission at the Harvard University from where he graduated in 1985 with a magna cum laude in history and literature.
For his senior thesis, he had written about the use of children as symbols in works of literary heavyweights – Flannery O’Connor and William Faulkner.
Television host, comedian, and television producer
- Father – Thomas Francis O’Brien (Epidemiologist, Physician, and professor of medicine at Harvard Medical School)
- Mother – Ruth O’Brien (Attorney and partner at Boston based Ropes & Gray Law Firm)
- Siblings – Neal O’Brien (Brother) (Antique Car Collector), Luke O’Brien (Brother) (Lawyer), Justin O’Brien (Brother) (Business Consultant), Kate O’Brien (Younger Sister) (Teacher), Jane O’Brien (Younger Sister) (Scriptwriter)
- Others – Thomas Francis O’Brien (Paternal Grandfather), Esther M. Thomas (Paternal Grandmother), James Francis Reardon (Maternal Grandfather), Ruth Frances Powers (Maternal Grandmother)
Conan O’Brien is represented by William Morris Endeavor Entertainment.
6 ft 4 in or 193 cm
90 kg or 198.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
O’Brien has dated –
- Lisa Kudrow (1988-1993) – Conan was already in a relationship with actress Lisa Kudrow, well known for her role of Phoebe Buffay in the popular sitcom Friends, in the early 90s. They had met at an Improv class and dated briefly before realizing they were better off as friends. Lisa initially wanted to leave the Improv classes but Conan inspired her to stick around and eventually joined the Los Angeles based renowned Groundlings comedy troupe.
- Lynn Kaplan (1994-1999) – In 1994, O’Brien started going out with Lynn Kaplan, who worked as a talent booker for his talk show. By 1996, they had moved in together in an apartment at the popular Manhattan building, which counted supermodels such as Cindy Crawford and Linda Evangelista amongst its other tenants.
- Ann ‘Liza’ Powel (2000-Present) – O’Brien first met his wife Ann ‘Liza’ Powel in 2000 at his talk show. She was working in an advertising skit for Foote, Cone & Belding. She worked for them as a senior copywriter. It was love at first sight for Conan. After dating for 18 months, they got married in an intimate ceremony held in her hometown, Seattle in 2000. In October 2003, she gave birth to a daughter, Neve, whom he wanted to give an old-fashioned Irish feminine name Niamh but decided to go for easier Americanized variation. In November 2005, they welcomed a baby boy, Beckett into their family.
Race / Ethnicity
After getting genetic testing done, he found out that he had 99.8 percent Irish ancestry.
- Receding hairline
- Angular jawline
His body specifications may be –
- Chest – 42 in or 107 cm
- Arms / Biceps – 14.5 in or 37 cm
- Waist – 34 in or 86 cm
In 2009, O’Brien was cast in a TV commercial for the Bud Light Beer. He has also been featured in print adverts for Got Milk campaign.
Plus, he has appeared in a TV advert for the American Express, he was paid more than 1 million dollars for his appearance.
Conan was raised in a devout Irish Catholic household.
While growing up, he used to go to church every week. However, he hasn’t spoken openly about his religious views as an adult.
Best Known For
- Having served as the host of the popular talk show Late Night with Conan O’Brien from 1993 till his departure from the show in 2009.
- The popularity of his late night talk show, Conan. Conan’s production company Conaco is involved in the creation of the show.
In 1998, Conan made his first film appearance in a cameo role in the absurdist comedy movie, Tomorrow Night.
First TV Show
As an actor, in 1987, Conan made his TV show debut on the sketch comedy, Saturday Night Live and appeared in more than 20 episodes.
Conan relies on a healthy lifestyle to keep himself fit and trim even in the advanced age. He likes to work up a sweat by cycling around in the sunny climes of Los Angeles.
Also, he uses Perfect Pushup handles to do about 40 push-ups every night before going to sleep.
Conan O’Brien Favorite Things
- The Simpsons Episode – Marge vs. the Monorail
- TV Show – The Odd Couple
- Must Haves – Late-’50s Gretsch 6120 Guitar, Martha Stewart’s Cupcakes Paperback, Tombstone Movie DVD, Perfect Pushup Handles, Team America: World Police Movie DVD, Die Hard Movie DVD, Comics by Michael Kupperman Paperback, The Wire TV series DVD, My Father’s Tears and Other Stories by John Updike Paperback
- Chicago Restaurant – Twin Anchors Restaurant & Tavern
Conan O’Brien Facts
- While studying at the Harvard University, he used to serve as the drummer for the rock band called The Bad Claims. He can also play guitar.
- While at Harvard, he served as the editor of the Harvard Lampoon for 2 consecutive years. He was the second person to achieve the distinction in Harvard’s esteemed history and no one had done so for 85 years before him.
- When he was initially signed up for hosting duties for a talk show, Late Night, the show producers weren’t sure about him, so they used to offer him a contract on weekly basis.
- His show was canceled and brought back in the same single night as TV executives wanted to find a replacement before taking it off. However, he managed to make his show successful, thus, offsetting the need for another show.
- After one Finnish person told him that he looks like then President Tarja Halonen in one of the episodes of his show, he launched a campaign to support Halonen and even devised a skit for the same. Eventually, Halonen met him and thanked him by gifting Moomin dolls to his family.
- He holds the distinction of being the last guest on the talk show, The Tonight Show with Jay Leno.
- He has collaborated with his old friend Father Paul B. O’ Brien to establish Labels Are For Jars, which is a Lawrence (Massachusetts) based anti-hunger organization.
- After gay marriages were legalized in New York City, he became an ordained minister with the Universal Life Church to officiate the wedding of one of his show producers.
- Starting from 2006, he was stalked by Father David Ajemian of the Archdiocese of Boston, who had attended Harvard University at the same time Conan was studying there.
- Ajemian sent him numerous letters including one with a death threat and tried to forcefully enter his show studios before he was arrested and subsequently forced to sign two years restraining order.
- In his senior year at high school, he was the winner of the National Council of Teachers of English writing contest as his short story To Bury the Living was highly acclaimed by the jury.
- While in the high school, he served as the managing director of the school newspaper, The Sagamore. Also, in his second year, he worked as an intern for Congressman Robert Drinan.
- He gave away proceeds from his fees for the Bud Light Beer TV advert to the Fresh Air Fund, a New York based charity that pays for inner-city New York children’s vacations to the country side.
- He lost his virginity while listening to the English rock band, The Who.
- Visit his official website @ teamcoco.com.
- Follow him on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Google+, Tumblr, and YouTube.