|Alexander Gilkes Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 9 in|
|Date of Birth||July 16, 1979|
Alexander Gilkes is a British businessman who is best known as the co-founder of Paddle8, an online auction house for art and collectibles that was widely acknowledged as having reimagined auctioneering in the digital age. He was the president of the organization from 2011 until 2018 when the company was sold to The Native. In 2020, he had co-founded Squared Circles, an organization that has been described as a venture studio that resides at the intersection of operations, brand, client, and talent. Besides his business ventures, he has served on the board of the New York Academy of Art, a private art school in Tribeca, New York City.
Alexander Mark Heming Gilkes
Camden, London, England, United Kingdom
New York City, New York, United States
Alexander had attended Eton College, a prestigious public school in the town of Eton, near Windsor in Berkshire, England. After his high school graduation, he had joined the University of Bristol, a red brick research university in Bristol.
- Father – Jeremy Gilkes (Dermatologist)
- Mother – Robyn Gilkes
- Siblings – Charlie Gilkes (Younger Brother) (Entrepreneur)
- Others – Anneke von Trotha Taylor (Sister-in-Law) (Publicist), Houda Nonoo (Ex-Cousin-in-Law) (Kingdom of Bahrain’s Former Ambassador to the United States)
5 ft 9 in or 175 cm
69 kg or 152 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Alexander has dated –
- Misha Nonoo (2012–2017) – Alexander had married Bahraini-British fashion designer Misha Nonoo in July 2012, in a ceremony held in Venice, Italy where singer Lana Del Rey had performed. It was reported in 2016 that the pair had broken up. Their divorce was finalized in the summer of 2017.
- Maria Sharapova (2018-Present) – Alexander started dating Russian former tennis player Maria Sharapova in 2018. The couple got engaged in December 2020. In April 2022, they made the revelation that they were expecting their first child together. In July 2022, they welcomed a baby boy named Theodore.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of British descent.
- Slender frame
- Side-parted, tousled, wavy hair
- Affable smile
- Often sports a light stubble
Alexander Gilkes Facts
- He had moved to the United States in 2008 and had settled in New York City. Before co-founding Paddle8 in 2011, which had generated more than USD 140 million in sales by 2015, he had served as an auctioneer at Phillips de Pury & Company, a renowned auction house. He had also worked for a brief while at LVMH, a French-holding multinational corporation and conglomerate specializing in luxury goods.
- Later in life, he had used this experience to serve as an auctioneer for charity events for organizations such as Madonna‘s Raising Malawi (a non-profit organization dedicated to helping with the extreme poverty and hardship endured by Malawi’s orphans), the Elton John AIDS Foundation (a non-profit organization that supports innovative HIV prevention and education programs), and amFAR (an international non-profit organization dedicated to the support of AIDS research and the advocacy of AIDS-related public policy.)
- For 3 years in a row (2014-2016), he had been named on the list of the ‘100 Most Powerful People in the Art World’ by Art+Auction, a monthly art magazine published in New York City.
- He had also been included in the list of the ’40 Most Important People Under 40′ by Apollo, an English-language monthly magazine covering the visual arts of all periods.
Featured Image by Alexander Gilkes / Instagram