|Helena Bonham Carter Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 2 in|
|Date of Birth||May 26, 1966|
|Boyfriend||Rye Dag Holmboe|
Helena Bonham Carter is an English actress, voiceover artist, and producer who is a critically acclaimed actress who has been the recipient of a number of accolades including at least a British Academy Film Award and 2 Screen Actors Guild Awards as well as nominations for 2 Academy Awards, 9 Golden Globes, 4 Primetime Emmy Awards, and 3 British Academy Television Awards. She is known for her work in movies like The King’s Speech, The Wings of the Dove, Burton & Taylor, Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein, Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street, Alice in Wonderland, Dark Shadows, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Enola Holmes, Les Misérables, Harry Potter series, Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit, Fight Club, Corpse Bride, Mrs. Lovett, Ocean’s 8, Great Expectations, Mighty Aphrodite, Red Queen, Big Fish, Cinderella, Howards End, Hamlet, and Alice Through the Looking Glass. Notably, her performances in The Wings of the Dove and The King’s Speech got her nominated for Academy Awards for “Best Actress” and “Best Supporting Actress”, respectively.
Helena Bonham Carter
Islington, London, England, United Kingdom
Hampstead, London, England, United Kingdom
Helena Carter went to the South Hampstead High School. After that, she moved to Westminster School, where she completed her high school level education.
She then applied for admission to the King’s College, Cambridge University. However, she was turned down as officials believed that she would leave her studies to pursue an acting career.
Actress, Voiceover Artist, Producer
- Father – Raymond Bonham Carter (Merchant Banker and served as Bank of England representative at the International Monetary Fund in 60s)
- Mother – Elena Bonham Carter (Psychotherapist)
- Siblings – Edward Bonham Carter (Older Brother) (Vice Chairman of Jupiter Fund Management PLC, a British fund management group), Thomas Bonham Carter (Older Brother)
- Others – Sir Maurice Bonham Carter (Paternal Grandfather) (Liberal Politician, Civil Servant, and Cricketer), Helen Violet Asquith (Paternal Grandmother) (Politician and Diarist), H. H. Asquith (Great Grandfather) (Former Prime Minister of England), Eduardo Propper de Callejón (Maternal Grandfather) (Diplomat, saved Jews during World War II by helping escape Nazi-occupied France), Baroness Hélène Fould-Springer (Maternal Grandmother)
Helena Bonham Carter has been represented by Conway Van Gelder Grant Ltd., Talent Agency, London, England, United Kingdom.
5 ft 2 in or 157 cm
55 kg or 121 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Helena Bonham Carter has dated –
- Kenneth Branagh (1994-1999) – Helena started dating Northern Irish actor, Kenneth Branagh in 1994 after having grown close during the shooting of the movie, Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein. Their affair created a huge controversy as Kenneth was married to actress Emma Thompson. Emma would later reveal that she was heartbroken as their 6 years of marriage lurched to an end. She channeled that grief for her role in Love Actually. Helena and Kenneth’s relationship lasted for around five years.
- Rufus Sewell (1999) – Helena had a short-lived affair with English actor Rufus Sewell for a couple of months in 1999.
- Steve Martin (2000-2001) – Helena started going out with much older actor Steve Martin in the summer of 2000. They had grown fond of each other while working in the movie, Novocaine. As she was still recovering from her breakup with Kenneth and Martin was reeling from the end of his relationship with Anne Heche, they took their relationship slow.
- Tim Burton (2001-2014) – Helena started dating director Tim Burton in 2001. He had cast her in the Planet of Apes movie and they had grown close while working on it. They had a bit unconventional relationship as they didn’t technically live together. They lived in adjoining houses, which were connected. She attributed this arrangement to the difference in interior tastes and lifestyle. In 2003, she gave birth to a son, Billy Raymond Burton. They welcomed a daughter, Nell Burton to their family in December 2007. In December 2014, they released a statement revealing that they had separated. It was reported that Burton had a mid-life crisis.
- Rye Dag Holmboe (2018-Present) – She first met Norwegian author Rye Dag Holmboe at a wedding in the summer of 2018 and the couple started dating in October 2018.
Race / Ethnicity
Mixed (White and Hispanic)
She has English, Ashkenazi Jewish, Irish, French, and Spanish ancestry.
- Unique dressing style that features the generous use of black color.
- Preference for dark makeup.
35-26-34 in or 89-66-86 cm
6 (US) or 38 (EU)
8 (US) or 38.5 (EU)
In 2012, Helena appeared alongside Ben Kingsley in Roman Polanski directed, a short promotional movie for Prada.
Helena further appeared in TV adverts for –
- Marks & Spencer supermarkets in 2013.
- Yardley and Suntory Malts in the 90s.
She has also starred in the print media campaign for designer Marc Jacobs.
Best Known For
- Being cast as Queen Elizabeth in the historical drama movie, The King’s Speech (2010), which helped her win a BAFTA award.
- Playing the role of famous writer Enid Blyton in the TV film, Enid (2009). She won an International Emmy for her role.
In 1983, Helena made her first film appearance in the lead role in the mystery drama, A Pattern of Roses.
First TV Show
In 1987, Carter appeared in 2 episodes of the crime drama TV series, Miami Vice.
Helena isn’t a fan of fitness routines and workout fads. She claims that no workout routine lasts beyond a day for her.
So, to keep her body in shape, she likes to swim regularly. She doesn’t count it as a workout. It is just a fun physical activity for her.
Her other preferred physical activity is walking, especially when she is feeling guilty about having eaten something unhealthy.
Helena Bonham Carter Favorite Things
- Place – Florence
- Way to Travel – Car, plane, and then car
- A Place to Stay – A house bought by her great grandmother post-World War II
- Room Service Order – Homemade Gnocchi Verdi
- Place for Florentine Meal – Perini Deli in Mercato Centrale
- Fashion Designers – High, Marithé et François Girbaud, Vivienne Westwood
- Pastimes – Crafting, reading, and sleeping
Source – VanityFair.com
Helena Bonham Carter Facts
- In May 2006, Helena collaborated with the swimsuit designer Samantha Sage to launch her exclusive fashion line titled, The Pantaloonies. The first collection from the brand was named Bloomin’ Bloomers.
- In 2008, the Telegraph placed her on #99 on the list of “100 Most Powerful People in British Culture”.
- In 2008, Helena was given indefinite leave from the shooting of the movie, Terminator Salvation after four of her relatives were killed while on an African safari. Their minibus went out of control after a tire burst and flipped over.
- She took inspiration from actress Judy Garland’s behavior in the later years of her life to play the role of Marla Singer in the 1999 drama, Fight Club. To make sure she remained in her character, the movie director used to call her Judy on the sets.
- In the original script of Terminator Salvation, she was going to play the role of a cyborg. However, an online leak forced producers to make changes to the script, which resulted in a change of her role and far less footage in the movie.
- The Times publication included her in the list of “Top 10 British Actresses of All-Time”, which was published in 2009.
- After the release of Alice in Wonderland, she became the first actress to have appeared in two projects which earned more than $1 billion on box office. Her other billion-dollar movie was Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows Part 2.
- In 2008, she assumed the position of patron of Action Duchenne, which is a British charity that works to support those diagnosed with Duchenne muscular dystrophy.
- Apart from English, she is also fluent in French.
- She rejected a proposal to play the lead role in the 1996 movie, Breaking the Waves as she was apprehensive of the sexual content. Emily Watson then played the role and managed to win an Oscar nomination.
- In recognition of her achievements as an actress, she was included in the jury for the Cannes Film Festival in 2006.
- To prepare for her role in Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street, she took special vocal training and even learned baking.
- In 2012, as part of the Queen’s New Years’ Honours List, she was honored with CBE (Commander of the Order of the British Empire).
- She brought to life the character of Princess Margaret, Countess of Snowdon in the historical drama streaming television series, The Crown, from 2019 to 2020. This role got her nominated for a Golden Globe Award for “Best Supporting Actress – Series, Miniseries or TV Movie” as well as an Emmy Award for “Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series”.
- While filming the Harry Potter film series, Daniel Radcliffe had a crush on her and wished that he was born 10 years earlier.
- While working, she had stolen a lot of things from the set of Harry Potter films.
- She doesn’t have any social media account.