|Rufus Sewell Quick Info|
|Date of Birth||October 29, 1967|
Rufus Sewell is an English actor who is best known for his work in films such as Carrington (1995), Dangerous Beauty (1998), Dark City (1998), A Knight’s Tale (2001), Tristan and Isolde (2006), The Illusionist (2006), Paris, je t’aime (2006), Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (2012), and Judy (2019). He is also well recognized for starring in TV series such as Middlemarch (1994), Charles II: The Power and the Passion (2003), Eleventh Hour (2008-09), Parade’s End (2012), Victoria (2016–17), The Man in the High Castle (2014–19), and The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (2019).
Rufus Frederik Sewell
Hammersmith, London, England, United Kingdom
He splits his time between Los Angeles, California, United States, and Hounslow, London, England, United Kingdom.
Rufus had attended the Trafalgar Junior School in Twickenham, leaving in 1978, after his father’s death. He had then joined the Orleans Park School, again in Twickenham, after which he had been enrolled in West Thames College in London. He had honed his acting skills at the Central School of Speech and Drama in London.
- Father – William ‘Bill’ John Frederick Sewell (d. 1978) (Animation Director, Former Labourer)
- Mother – Jo Sewell (née Michell) (Artist, Pianist, Former Waitress)
- Siblings – Caspar Sewell (Older Brother)
- Others – Charles F. Michell (Maternal Grandfather), Joan Gane (Maternal Grandmother)
6 ft or 183 cm
80 kg or 176.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Rufus has dated –
- Helen McCrory
- Catalina Guirado
- Kate Winslet (1996-1997)
- Yasmin Abdallah (1998-2000) – Rufus began dating Australian fashion journalist Yasmin Abdallah in 1998 and the couple got married on March 24, 1999. They, however, got divorced, a year later, in 2000.
- Helena Bonham Carter (1999)
- Donna Air (2000)
- Amy Gardner (2001-2007) – Rufus started dating scriptwriter and producer Amy Gardner in 2001 and they got married on February 7, 2004. They have a son together named William Douglas Sewell (b. 2002). They parted ways in 2006 and got divorced in 2007.
- Alice Eve (2006-2008)
- Ami Komai (2009-Present) – Rufus began dating Japanese-American hairstylist Ami Komai in 2009. They have a daughter together named Lola (b. 2013).
Race / Ethnicity
He is of English and Welsh descent on his mother’s side and Anglo-Australian descent on his father’s side.
- Toned physique
- Clean-shaven look
- Short-cropped hair
- Affable smile
- Deep voice
Rufus Sewell Facts
- His parents got divorced when he was 5 years old. He and his brother were then raised by his mother who used to work in a pub and sell vegetables to make ends meet.
- Rufus and his brother, as teenagers, used to play drums with different bands and had dreamed of becoming rock stars.
- At Trafalgar Junior School, Rufus was a key and keen member of the school’s drama club and had once played the lead in a play based on Rumpelstiltskin where he had acted on his knees throughout.
- He had recorded 11 James Bond books for a 36 CD collection of audiobooks.
- For his portrayal of the character of Jan in the play Rock ‘n’ Roll (2006-07 in London, 2007-08 in New York), he had won the ‘Best Actor in a Play’ award at the 2006 Evening Standard Theatre Awards and the 2007 Laurence Olivier Awards. He had also been nominated in the same category for this work at both the 2008 Tony Awards and the 2008 Drama Desk Awards.
Featured Image by Rufus Sewell / Instagram