|Kate Winslet Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 6½ in|
|Date of Birth||October 5, 1975|
Kate Winslet is an English actress, voiceover artist, musician, and producer who has gained a worldwide audience with her stellar performances. She has won at least three British Academy Film Awards and is among the few performers to have won Academy, Emmy, and Grammy Awards. Some of her most prominent roles include playing Rose DeWitt Bukater in Titanic, Clementine Kruczynski in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Sylvia Llewelyn Davies in Finding Neverland, Marianne Dashwood in Sense and Sensibility, Hanna Schmitz in The Reader, Joanna Hoffman in Steve Jobs, Young Iris Murdoch in Iris, Sarah Pierce in Little Children, Myrtle “Tilly” Dunnage in The Dressmaker, Jennifer in Blackbird, and Erin Mears in Contagion. She was included in Time magazine’s “100 Most Influential People in the World” list in 2009.
Kate Elizabeth Winslet
The English Rose, Corset Kate
Reading, Berkshire, England, United Kingdom
West Sussex, England, United Kingdom
Kate Winslet began studying drama at the age of 11 at The Redroofs Theatre School, a co-educational independent school in Maidenhead, Berkshire, UK, where she was head girl.
Actress, Singer, Voiceover Artist, Producer
- Father – Roger John Winslet (Struggling Actor, Swimming Pool Contractor)
- Mother – Sally Anne (née Bridges) (Nanny, Waitress)
- Siblings – Beth Winslet (Younger Sister) (Actress), Anna Winslet (Older Sister) (Actress), Joss Winslet (Younger Brother)
- Others – Charles John William Winslet (Paternal Grandfather), Blanche/Blanch Florence Sims (Paternal Grandmother), Archibald Ottewill/Oliver Bridges (Maternal Grandfather)(Actor, Ran the Reading Repertory Theatre Company), Linda Elsie Plumb (Maternal Grandmother) (Actress, Ran the Reading Repertory Theatre Company), George Bryn Mawr Winslet Jones (Nephew)
She has been signed with these agencies –
- Creative Artists Agency
- United Agents Ltd., Talent Agency, London, England, United Kingdom
5 ft 6½ in or 169 cm
63 kg or 139 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Kate Winslet has dated –
- Stephen Tredre (1991-1995) – He was an English actor and writer who first met Kate on the sets of Dark Season. He dated Winslet from 1991 to 1995, for 4 and a half years. He died on December 8, 1997, due to bone cancer. At that time, she had even missed the premiere of Titanic for his funeral.
- Rufus Sewell (1996-1997) – They dated for 3 months, before the hit Titanic movie. Rufus is an English actor.
- Jim Threapleton (November 1998-December 2001) – Jim is a director who first met her on the sets of the 1998 movie “Hideous Kinky”. Then they dated for some time and finally married in the pub in their hometown. They have a daughter, Mia Honey Threapleton, born in 2000 in London. The 2 of these divorced on December 13, 2001.
- Sam Mendes (2003-2010) – Sam is an English stage and film director, who married Kate on 24 May 2003 on the island of Anguilla. They have a son together, Joe Alfie Winslet Mendes, who was born on 22 December 2003 in New York City. These 2 were divorced in March 2010, after spending 7 years together.
- Louis Dowler (August 2010-November 2010) (see pic) – Model Louis and actress Kate were seen holding each other’s hands in London in August 2010. So, the rumors were confirmed that they are dating. But, soon the news came that they have separated as Kate wanted to give time to her career and 2 children.
- Ned Rocknroll (September 2011-Present) – Businessman Ned, who works for Virgin Galactic, the space-travel division of his uncle’s empire, married Winslet in December 2012. They started dating soon when they had first met in August 2011, when she was on a holiday on Necker Island and Ned Rocknroll was a fellow guest. She gave birth to her first child, Bear Winslet on December 7, 2013.
Race / Ethnicity
She is of English, Swedish, Irish, and Welsh descent.
- Voluptuous Body
- Has often played angst-ridden women
37-26-36 in or 94-66-91.5 cm
She used to be normally a size 14 (UK) but according to her role in the movies, she has even slimmed down, sometimes to size 8 (for Titanic) also. However, she later said that she is size 2 (US) or 6 (UK).
Spokesmodel of Lancôme since 2007.
Throughout her career, she has appeared in a number of commercials, which are –
- American Express Credit Cards
- Sugar Puffs cereal (UK)
- Longines Dolcevita watches
Anglican / Episcopalian
Best Known For
1997 film Titanic for her role as Rose DeWitt Bukater / Dawson. It was a blockbuster superhit worldwide. She got nominated for 15 awards out of which she won 4.
As a Singer
She has just contributed by singing songs in the movies and related work. She was given Grammy Award for Best Spoken Word Album for Children in 2000 for her work aimed at children. She has been included as a vocalist on some soundtracks of works, she has performed in. Her other work in this field is the single “What If” from the soundtrack for “Christmas Carol: The Movie” (2001). It was a hit single.
In 1994, Kate did a New Zealand film Heavenly Creatures for her role as ‘Juliet Hulme’. She starred in this film and won 3 awards also, which are –
- Empire Award for Best British Actress
- London Film Critics Circle Award for British Actress of the Year
- New Zealand Film and TV Award for Best Foreign Performer
First TV Show
1991 TV show Dark Season was her first show. She did the role of Reet. This show was a teen drama science fiction show, comprising of just 6 episodes of 25 minutes each. It was shown on BBC1 from November 14, 1991, to December 19, 1991.
Kate Winslet does not require any personal trainer because she does not have the time to do any vigorous exercises. She said to the February issue of Elle UK that she does not have the time to go to the gym. She prefers doing Pilates for at least 20 minutes a day by watching the videos and DVDs. She does her favorite exercise – Pilates at home almost daily. She is conscious of her cellulite but is not afraid of that. She has made herself come back to shape from US size 6 to size 2.
Kate Winslet Favorite Things
- Favorite Food – Pizza. But, now she mostly eats clean and green food.
- Favorite Color – Dark Purple
- Favorite Movies Of Her Own – Heavenly Creatures (1994), Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004), Revolutionary Road (2008), The Reader (2008), Steve Jobs
Source – IMDb
Kate Winslet Facts
- Kate Winslet has 3 siblings. Anna (older sister), Beth (younger sister) are actresses. Her younger brother, Joss is the only sibling who is not in the acting profession.
- Kate has also worked as an assistant director in the 1998 film Hideous Kinky.
- Her daughter – Mia got her name from an Italian version of the English word ‘My’.
- She was born in the same hospital as her former husband Sam Mendes.
- Kate was born at 7:15 am BST.
- Winslet was also bullied in her school because of her bad hair, big feet, and chubby body.
- She was given the CBE (Commander of the Order of the British Empire) in the 2012 Birthday Honours for her services to drama.
- Leonardo DiCaprio and Penelope Cruz are Kate’s good friends. Kate’s children call him “Uncle Leo”. He bought her an inscribed gold ring after they did together a 2008 film “Revolutionary Road”.
- She once missed the premiere of Titanic (2007 film) as she was attending a funeral of her former boyfriend, Stephen Tredre (dated from 1991-1995).
- She prefers to wear boots than ordinary shoes so that she can walk easily.
- She was selected as a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 2012.
- In November 2020, Kate made a new record when she held her breath for 7 minutes and 14 seconds under the water while she was filming for Avatar 2. By this, she managed to beat the record held by Tom Cruise when he had held his breath for 6 minutes in 2011 while filming Mission: Impossible — Rogue Nation.
- She has worked with prominent directors like Peter Jackson, Ang Lee, James Cameron, Sam Mendes, Roman Polanski, and Danny Boyle.
- In 2021, she sold her New York City-based 3,108 square feet penthouse apartment for $5.69 million. She had initially bought the apartment in 2004 with her ex-husband Sam Mendes and had listed it in November 2020.
- She is not on social media.