|Helen McCrory Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 3 in|
|Date of Birth||August 17, 1968|
|Date of Death||April 16, 2021|
Helen McCrory was a famous British actress known for her roles as Cherie Blair in The Queen (2006) and The Special Relationship (2010), as Narcissa Malfoy in the Harry Potter films, and as Polly Gray in Peaky Blinders (from 2013). She had won several awards and nominations for her fine performances in TV shows and movies and was also honored as an Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) in 2017. Some of the films and television shows in which Helen had appeared include The Count of Monte Cristo, Becoming Jane, Casanova, The Queen, Skyfall, Sherlock Holmes and the Case of the Silk Stocking, Penny Dreadful, and MotherFatherSon.
Helen Elizabeth McCrory
She was born on August 17, 1968.
On April 16, 2021, she died of cancer at the age of 52 in London, England, United Kingdom.
Paddington, London, England, United Kingdom
She resided in North London, England, United Kingdom.
She studied at Queenswood School near Hatfield, Hertfordshire. Later, she took acting lessons at the Drama Centre in London.
- Father – Iain McCrory (Diplomat)
- Mother – Anne (née Morgans)
- Siblings – Catherine McCrory (Younger Sister), Jon McCrory (Younger Brother)
- Others – Gareth Lewis (Sister-In-Law) (Writer, Producer, Director)
Helen McCrory was managed by –
- Independent Talent Group Ltd., Talent Agency, London, England, United Kingdom
- United Talent Agency, Talent Agency, Beverly Hills, California, United States
5 ft 3 in or 160 cm
58 kg or 128 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Helen McCrory had dated –
- Rufus Sewell – It is speculated that Helen and actor Rufus Sewell were once an item.
- James Murray – Helen had been in a relationship with actor James Murray.
- Damian Lewis (2005-2021) – Helen started dating actor Damian Lewis in June 2005. After dating for around 7 months, the duo got engaged in February 2006 and eventually tied the knots on July 4, 2007. They were blessed with 2 children – a daughter named Manon (born September 8, 2006) and a son named Gulliver (born November 2, 2007). Helen and Damian remained together until her death in 2021.
Race / Ethnicity
She was of Welsh and Scottish descent.
Best Known For
- Having been cast as Cherie Blair, a British barrister, lecturer, and writer, in The Queen (2006) as well as in The Special Relationship (2010)
- Appearing in a variety of roles in movies like The James Gang (1997) as Bernadette James, The Count of Monte Cristo (2002) as Valentina Villefort, Casanova (2005) as Casanova’s Mother, Becoming Jane (2007) as Mrs. Radcliffe, Hugo (2011) as Mama Jeanne (Jehanne D’Alcy), A Little Chaos (2014) as Madame Françoise Le Nôtre, The Woman in Black: Angel of Death (2015) as Jean Hogg, Bill (2015) as Queen Elizabeth I, Loving Vincent (2017) as Louise Chevalier
- Playing the character of Narcissa Malfoy in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (2009), Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 1 (2010), and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2 (2011)
- Having been cast in various TV shows like Anna Karenina (2000) as Anna Karenina, Lucky Jim (2003) as Margaret Peel, Charles II: The Power and The Passion (2003) as Lady Castlemaine (Barbara Villiers), Sherlock Holmes and the Case of the Silk Stocking (2004) as Jenny Vandeleur, and Peaky Blinders (from 2013) as Aunt Polly /Polly Gray, Penny Dreadful (2014-2015) as Evelyn Poole (Madame Kali)
She made her theatrical film debut in the gothic horror film, Interview with the Vampire: The Vampire Chronicles, in 1994.
As a voice actress, she made her theatrical film debut by voicing the character of Mrs. Bean in the animated adventure comedy film, Fantastic Mr. Fox, in 2009.
First TV Show
She made her first TV show appearance as Vicki Goodall in the comedy series, Full Stretch, in 1993.
As a voice actress, she made her TV show debut by providing vocals to the character of Lucy Fletcher in the animated musical comedy series, Phineas and Ferb, in 2011.
Helen did not believe in torturing herself to fit into the stereotypical standards of what beauty is. She maintained an active lifestyle and even though she gained some weight and went through body changes after childbirth, she embraced those changes. Moreover, she once also revealed in an interview that she had never done dieting.
Helen McCrory Favorite Things
- Food – Artichokes
Source – IMDb
Helen McCrory Facts
- Growing up, she lived in various places like Norway, Nigeria, Cameroon, Tanzania, Zanzibar, Madagascar, and Paris.
- She considered her husband and children as her best friends.
- Initially, she was preferred for the role of Bellatrix Lestrange in Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (2007). However, the part went to Helena Bonham Carter as McCrory was pregnant at the time.
- She was honored as an Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) in 2017 for her contribution to drama.
- She considered herself a fairly positive person.
- She admired literature and theatre a great deal as they reflect life in its truest form.
- The thing that Helen found the most interesting about acting was how it lets people transform themselves.
- According to her, the more intelligent you are, the lonelier you probably will be.
- She could sleep almost anywhere at any time.
- She thought that child actors are a bit odd.
- She had revealed that as a teenager, she was crazily inclined towards art.
- If she were a politician, she would focus on health.
- She wasn’t a big fan of chocolates or other desserts.
- Helen McCrory was not active on social media.
Featured Image by Jennifermeghan1 / Wikimedia / CC BY-SA 4.0