|Cher Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 8½ in|
|Date of Birth||May 20, 1946|
Cher, Cher Bono
El Centro, California, United States
Cher went to the Montclair College Preparatory School in Encino. She was also enrolled at the Fresno High School. However, she dropped out of high school at the age of 16 and moved to Hollywood to become a star.
Singer, actress, author, businesswoman, comedian, dancer, fashion designer, model, philanthropist, record producer, songwriter, television host
- Father – John Sarkisian (Truck Driver)
- Mother – Georgia Holt (Waitress, occasional actress and model)
- Siblings – Georganne LaPiere (Sister)
- Others – Gilbert LaPierre (Stepfather), Ghiragoch Sarkisian (Paternal Grandfather), Syranous Dilkian (Paternal Grandmother), Roy Malloy Crouch (Maternal Grandfather), Lynda Inez Gulley (Maternal Grandmother)
Cher is represented by MGMT Entertainment.
Pop, dance, disco, folk, rock
Atco, Casablanca, Columbia, Geffen, Imperial, Kapp, MCA Records, Wea International and Warner Bros.
5 ft 8½ in or 174 cm
61 kg or 134.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Cher has dated –
- Eric Clapton – In one of her appearances on David Letterman’s talk show, Cher revealed that she once had a fling with singer and musician Eric Clapton.
- Warren Beatty (1962) – Cher met actor Warren Beatty at a Los Angeles nightclub in 1962. Warren was in a relationship with actress Natalie Wood, whereas Cher was soon going to meet her first husband. In a 1988 Playboy interview, she revealed that she hooked up with Warren because all her friends, as well as her mother, were crazy about him. However, the overall experience turned out to be disappointing.
- Sonny (1964-1975) – Cher first met her first husband Salvatore Bono in a coffee shop in Los Angeles in November 1962. Soon after, they became close friends before becoming lovers. In 1964, they got married in Mexico. However, Sonny would later reveal that it wasn’t an official wedding. They officially got married after the birth of their only child, a daughter named Chastity Bono (who in 2009, converted to male and changed his name to Chaz Bono) in March 1969. In 1973, they had separated. However, they managed to get back together briefly with Cher even appearing at the inauguration of his restaurant. They even managed to revive their popular show, The Sonny & Cher. The show came to an end in 1977 about two years after their divorce.
- David Geffen (1973-1974) – With her marriage to Sonny already crumbling, Cher hooked up with music executive David Geffen. Their relationship seemed serious as they had even discussed getting married. However, it didn’t last more than a year.
- Elvis Presley (1974) – Cher had a fling with pop legend Elvis Presley before her relationship with Greg Allman. However, they didn’t share physical intimacy as she rejected him after he had invited her to his room. Apparently, she was nervous about spending a night with him.
- Gregg Allman (1974-1979) – Cher had a very volatile relationship with musician Gregg Allman. She had got married to him in Las Vegas just three days after her divorce from Sonny was finalized. 6 days later, she had to apply to get their marriage dissolved. She was dismayed by his alcohol and heroin addiction. About a month later, Allman having kicked his addiction, managed to win her back. But then, in 1976, Cher got back with her ex-husband for the reboot of The Sonny & Cher. This proved to be too weird for him and he filed for divorce. However, after learning that she was pregnant, he decided to give their marriage a try. She gave birth to a son, Elijah Blue. After releasing their duet album, Two the Hard Way in 1977, they decided to go separate ways. He blamed her paranoia about him going back to his alcohol addiction for the failure of their marriage. In January 1979, they got a formal divorce.
- Gene Simmons (1978-1980) – Cher started dating guitarist Gene Simmons in 1978 after the collapse of her marriage to Allman. Eventually, they decided to live together. In their interviews, they seemed pretty comfortable with each other and she even went on to hint that his one-night stands with other women while touring didn’t bother her. However, their relationship came to an end in 1980 after he fell for Diana Ross.
- Les Dudek (1980-1982) – Cher started dating musician Les Dudek in the summer of 1980. They then collaborated to form a music band, Black Rose. Their relationship came to an end after more than one and a half years.
- Ron Duguay (1982) – Cher had a month-long affair with Canadian ice-hockey star Ron Duguay in 1982.
- Val Kilmer (1982-1984) – Cher met Val Kilmer at her own birthday bash, which was organized by her close friend Meryl Streep. They eventually became friends and upon the start of their relationship, they spent about a week just talking before they kissed, which evidently for her was pretty unusual. However, despite taking it really slow and him being a great kisser, their relationship didn’t last for long as they broke up in 1984.
- Joshua Donen (1984-1986) – Cher started going out with music executive Josh Donen in 1984. Their relationship was in news in August 1986 after they were involved in an accident in Los Angeles. Their relationship came to end in the same year as he wanted to get married and apparently she wasn’t ready for it.
- Tom Cruise – Cher reportedly dated actor Tom Cruise in the mid-80s well before he became a star. And, she has been very appreciative of their relationship and counts Cruise amongst her top five lovers.
- Rob Camilletti (1986-1989) – Cher first met bagel maker Rob Camilletti at her 40th birthday. Keeping up with her eccentric love life, she started dating him soon after. He even moved in to live with her. Their relationship lasted about three years.
- Tommy Lee (1988) – Cher had a fling with rocker Tommy Lee at the start of 1988. They were reportedly caught making out in a Los Angeles nightclub by his estranged wife Heather Locklear, who reportedly went berserk after it.
- Richie Sambora (1989) – Cher had a short-lived affair with former Bon Jovi guitarist Richie Sambora in 1989. Their relationship came to an end after she caught him with another girl in a Madrid hotel.
- Tim Medvetz (2008-2010; 2012-2013) – Cher had met biker turned TV personality Tim Medvetz through mutual friends. Their love for Harley Davidson bikes eventually started their relationship. However, her music tour proved too much for them and led to them going separate ways in 2010. In 2012, her children convinced her to get in touch with him again, which led to them rekindling their romance. In September 2013, they broke up for the second and final time.
- Ron Zimmerman (2010) – Cher got in touch with screenwriter Ron Zimmerman in 2010 through Facebook. However, Ron thought she was a hooker or Cher impersonator. They indulged in a verbal duel for a month or so before Ron asked one of their mutual friends about the particular Facebook profile and realized that it was, in fact, Cher’s profile. They went out for a couple of dates but their relationship didn’t turn serious as she was still with Tim Medvetz.
Race / Ethnicity
On her father’s side, she has Armenian and American ancestry, whereas, on her mother’s side, she is of English, Irish, German and Cherokee descent.
- Eccentric and revealing dressing sense
- Perm hairstyles
36-26-36 in or 91.5-66-91.5 cm
8 (US) or 40 (EU)
8 (US) or 38.5 (EU)
Cher has appeared in TV commercials for –
- Sugar substitute, Equal (1993).
- Jack LaLanne gym chain
- Chicago Health Club
She has also been featured in the print advert campaign for Lori Davis Hair Products.
Best Known For
- Being one-half of the popular pop duo, Sonny & Cher. For her popularity as a pop singer, she was termed as the goddess of pop.
- Having played the lead role in the romantic comedy, Moonstruck (1987), which helped her bag an Academy Award.
- The immense popularity of her 70s TV show, The Sonny & Cher Comedy Hour.
In August 1965, Cher’s band Sonny & Cher released their debut studio album, Look at Us.
In October 1965, she released her solo debut studio album, All I Really Want to Do.
In 1965, Cher made her first film appearance in the beach party movie, Wild on the Beach.
First TV Show
In 1967, Cher guest appeared in an episode of the spy fiction series, The Man from U.N.C.L.E.
Despite her advanced age, Cher has no intentions of relaxing her workout routine. She still hits the gym 5 days a week. Her personal trainer pushes her hard during her workouts, playing the age card certainly doesn’t work for her.
Apart from her gym workout, she participates in various physical activities to preserve her stunning youthful appearance. She likes to head out for surfing in her free time. She has also developed an affinity for tennis game in Wii.
Although she doesn’t follow any specific diet, she prefers to eat clean and healthy. She doesn’t eat any meat and has no cravings for any junk or processed food. Dessert is her weakness and she indulges in it every once in a while.
Cher Favorite Things
- First Car – Old Red MG convertible
- Books – God Against the Gods: The History of the War Between Monotheism and Polytheism (By Jonathan Kirsch)
- Makeup Artist – Kevyn Aucoin
- Actress – Katharine Hepburn
Source – USMagazine.com, IMDb.com
- She holds the distinction of being the first female artist in the music industry to have her singles on the #1 spot in music charts in the 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, and 1990s.
- Apart from Barbra Streisand, she is the only American female artist to have won an Oscar award in the main category and have a single featured on the top of the music charts.
- After conducting an online poll, A&E’s Biography Magazine placed her behind Katharine Hepburn and Audrey Hepburn in the list comprising of the favorite actress of all time.
- Cher has appeared in the audition for the role of Bonnie Parker in the 1967 release, Bonnie and Clyde. Eventually, she lost out to Faye Dunaway.
- In May 1998, she was honored with her Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame for Television at the famous 7020 Hollywood Boulevard.
- She has established the Cher Charitable Foundation, which strives to support projects ranging from anti-poverty initiatives to working with various health research organizations.
- From 1990 onwards, she has worked as an Honorary Spokesperson as well as National Chairperson for the Children’s Craniofacial, which works to support facially disfigured children.
- Cher has served as the fundraiser, donor and international spokesperson for Keep the Child Alive foundation, which aims to combat the spread of AIDS, especially in young patients.
- Cher was placed on the 26th spot in the list of VH1’s “100 Sexiest Artists”.
- While growing up, she had a financially difficult childhood. She had to use rubber bands to keep her shoes from falling apart.
- Due to dire financial conditions, her mother had left her in an orphanage for a significant period of time. Despite her mother meeting her daily, it was a traumatizing time.
- After she moved to Los Angeles, she signed up for acting classes and used to work as a dancer at small joints on Sunset Strip to support herself.
- The music channel VH1 has placed her in the 43rd position in the list of “Greatest Women of Rock N Roll”.
- After her single, Believe managed to sneak to the top of music charts, she became the first female music artist to have her track at the top of charts at the age of 52.