|Jean-Paul Gaultier Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 8 in|
|Date of Birth||April 24, 1952|
Jean-Paul Gaultier is a renowned French fashion designer who is known for his impeccable and revolutionary fashion. He started his career as a designer by working at the house of Pierre Cardin. After working for various other designers, he started solo in 1982. His infamous cone bra, designed for Madonna‘s 1990 Blond Ambition World Tour, took the fashion industry by storm and received both appreciation and criticism for the costume.
Arcueil, Val-de-Marne, France
- Father – An Accountant
- Mother – A Clerk
- Others – Marie Garage (Maternal Grandmother)
5 ft 8 in or 173 cm
76 kg or 167.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Jean-Paul Gaultier has dated –
- Francis Menuge (1975-1990) – Francis Menuge was Gaultier’s former business partner whom he met in 1975. They shared a loving relationship until Francis died in 1990 due to some AIDS-related causes. It was a tough phase in the life of Gaultier as Francis was his constant support and someone who initially urged him to follow his passion.
Race / Ethnicity
With time, his hair has turned ‘White’.
He has appeared in a commercial for M&M‘s.
Best Known For
- Being a celebrated fashion designer of the French haute couture and prêt-à-porter (ready-to-wear)
- Being a pioneer of rebellious or unorthodox fashion
He made his theatrical movie debut in the comedy-drama movie, Prêt-à-Porter, in 1994 as a designer featured with his collection.
First TV Show
Gaultier made his TV show debut in 1986, in an episode of the TV series C’est encore mieux l’après-midi.
Jean-Paul Gaultier Facts
- His parents possess very open mindset and have supported him even when he came out as gay and introduced them to his boyfriend, late Francis Menuge.
- Gaultier was inspired by his grandmother who introduced him to fashion.
- He didn’t receive any formal education in fashion designing. Instead, he started sending his designs to various designers and his penchant for fashion was recognized by Pierre Cardin.
- He was titled as “enfant-terrible”, which is a French expression for an unconventional genius.
- Gaultier has revolutionalized traditional fashion with his refreshing and striking style.
- One of the most distinctive traits of his work was witnessed when he used models, both male and female, of various sizes, with tattoos and piercings to reconstruct the idea of a perfect body.
- He co-hosted the Channel 4 magazine-format programme, Eurotrash, from 1993 to 1997.
- Gaultier succeeded Martin Margiela in 2003 and became the head designer of Hermès.
- He is an advocate of LGBT rights.
- Gaultier also designed bottles for Diet Coke after getting appointed as their new creative director in March 2012.
- He introduced men-skirts to fashion with an intention to redefine the ideal masculinity.
- The ‘granny-gray’ hair trend was introduced by him in his catwalk show at Paris Fashion Week in 2015.
- Gaultier announced at the spring/summer 2015 show that he was closing his Ready To Wear lines so as to focus on haute couture.
- He also designed Madonna’s iconic corset with cone bra in 1990.
- Many celebrities like Rihanna, Beyoncé, Nicki Minaj, Lady Gaga, Marion Cotillard, Marilyn Manson, Kim Kardashian, Fergie, Sonam Kapoor, and Nicole Kidman have embraced his costumes on various occasions.
- He has also designed wardrobes for many motion pictures including The City of Lost
Children and The Fifth Element.
- Visit him @ jeanpaulgaultier.com.
- Follow Jean-Paul Gaultier on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook.
Featured Image by Bernard Boyé / Wikimedia / CC BY-SA 3.0