|DJ Yella Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 10 in|
|Date of Birth||December 11, 1967|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
DJ Yella is an American DJ, rapper, record producer, and film director/producer who had started his career in the music industry with the American electro and West coast hip hop group World Class Wreckin’ Cru. With the group, he had released the albums World Class (1985) and Rapped in Romance (1986). He had later joined the iconic hip hop group N.W.A. with whom he had released the albums N.W.A. and the Posse (1987), Straight Outta Compton (1988), 100 Miles and Runnin’ (1990), and N**gaz4Life (1991). In 1996, he had released his debut solo studio album titled One Mo N**ga ta Go which was dedicated to his N.W.A. bandmate Eazy-E who had died in March 1995. After the release of this album, he had quit the music industry to direct and produce p*rnographic films. By 2011, he had produced more than 300 adult films. In 2016, he was inducted into the ‘Rock and Roll Hall of Fame’ as a member of N.W.A.
DJ Yella, Yellaboy
Compton, Los Angeles County, California, United States
Los Angeles, California, United States
DJ, Rapper, Record Producer, Film Director/Producer
Hip Hop, Rap, West Coast Hip Hop, Gangsta Rap, Electro, Hardcore Hip Hop, G-Funk
Turntables, Keyboards, Drums, Vocals
- Kru-Cut Records
- Street Life Records
- Epic Records
- Ruthless Records
- Priority Records
DJ Yella’s net worth had been $1 million according to CelebrityNetWorth.com.
5 ft 10 in or 178 cm
76 kg or 167.5 lbs
Race / Ethnicity
He is of African-American descent.
- Mildly stocky frame
- Close-cropped, afro hair
- Clean-shaven look
- Puffy face
DJ Yella Facts
- He had developed a love for music from a very young age and had grown up listening to funk music and learning how to play the drums. In his teenage years, he had started performing at clubs in and around Los Angeles under the moniker of ‘Yella’. This name was inspired by the American new wave band Tom Tom Club‘s Mr. Yellow.
- After he had witnessed the American hip hop group Run-D.M.C. perform in California for the first time, he was so impressed that he had attempted to make a few records in a nightclub called Eve After Dark where he used to work as a DJ. It was at this club that he had first met an aspiring DJ called Dr. J who would later become well known as Dr. Dre. Both would go on to join the iconic hip hop group N.W.A.
- Before joining N.W.A. though, he and Dr. Dre had formed an electro and West coast hip hop group called World Class Wreckin’ Cru in the early 1980s. The group would go on to become the stars of the electro-hop scene that had dominated the early-mid 1980s West Coast hip hop scene.
- In November 2011, he had started working on a new album called West Coastin’ which he had planned to release in the summer of 2012. However, the album was never released.
- His autobiography, titled STRAIGHT OUTTA COMPTON: My Untold Story, was published in June 2021.
- He is the godfather of his deceased N.W.A. bandmate Eazy-E’s 2nd son Derrek Wright (aka E3).
Featured Image by DJ Yella / Instagram