|Douglas Henshall Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 10 in|
|Date of Birth||November 19, 1965|
Douglas Henshall is a Scottish actor who has had an extensive career working in TV series, films, and theater plays. He is best known for portraying characters such as Professor Nick Cutter in the sci-fi drama TV series Primeval (2007–2011) and Detective Inspector Jimmy Perez in the crime drama TV series Shetland (2013–Present). He is also well recognized for his work in films such as Angels and Insects (1995), Orphans (1998), and The Man with Rain in His Shoes (1998).
Douglas James Henshall
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
London, England, United Kingdom
Douglas had attended Barrhead High School, a secondary school in Barrhead, East Renfrewshire, Scotland. While studying there, he had joined the Scottish Youth Theatre, the country’s national youth theatre company, to hone his acting skills. After his graduation, he had moved to England and studied at the Mountview Academy of Theatre Arts, a drama school in Peckham, south London.
- Father – His father was a salesman
- Mother – His mother was a nurse.
- Siblings – He has 2 older sisters.
- Others – Ivo Štivičić (Father-in-Law) (Screenwriter), Mirjana Rački Štivičić (Mother-in-Law)
5 ft 10 in or 178 cm
70 kg or 154.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Douglas has dated –
- Tena Štivičić (2010–Present) – Douglas had married his long-term partner, Croatian playwright and screenwriter Tena Štivičić, in an impromptu ceremony, while on a holiday in Las Vegas, in February 2010. They have a daughter together named Grace (b. 2016).
Race / Ethnicity
He is of British descent.
Due to advancing age, his hair color has turned ‘Salt and Pepper’.
- Slender frame
- Short-cropped, side-parted hair
- Often sports a light stubble
- Affable smile
Douglas Henshall Facts
- After graduating from the Mountview Academy of Theatre Arts in London, he had returned to Scotland to work with the 7:84 theatre company. He, however, soon made a return to London where he earned tremendous acclaim for his work in theatre plays such as Life of Stuff (1993) and American Buffalo (1997).
- For his work in the TV mini-series Kid In The Corner (1999), he had won a ‘Gold Nymph’ award in the category of ‘Best Actor in a TV Mini-Series’ at the 2000 Monte Carlo TV Festival.
- He had once revealed in an interview that acting was never his first career choice. He had always wanted to become a sports journalist. His path in the field was stalled, however, because he did not get the right qualifications to study for such a degree in cities like Glasgow and Edinburgh.
- For his portrayal of Detective Inspector Jimmy Perez in the crime drama TV series Shetland (2013–Present), he had won the ‘Best Television Actor’ award at the 2016 BAFTA (British Academy of Film and Television Arts) Scotland Awards. Shetland had also won the ‘Best TV Drama Series’ award at the ceremony.
- He is an ardent supporter of the Scottish soccer club St. Mirren F.C.
- He had once set up his own film production company called Deep Blue River Films.
- A frequent smoker in the past, he had managed to kick the habit in September 2019.
Featured Image by Douglas Henshall / Instagram