|Dr. Manmohan Singh Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 9 in|
|Date of Birth||September 26, 1932|
Dr. Manmohan Singh is an Indian politician, economist, bureaucrat, and academic who served as the 14th Prime Minister of India from 2004 to 2014. This also meant that he was the first Sikh to hold the position. Besides that, Dr. Manmohan also served as the 22nd Union Minister of Finance (1991-1996) and 15th Governor of the Reserve Bank of India (1982-1985). He also has a huge fan base with more than 700k followers on Facebook.
Gah, Punjab, British India
House No. 3989, Nandan Nagar, Ward No. 51, Sarumataria, Dispur, Guwahati, Distt. Kamrup, (Assam) 781006
Dr. Singh studied at the Hindu College in Amritsar before moving to Hoshiarpur where he attained his Bachelor’s in 1952 and Master’s in 1954 in Economics from the Panjab University.
Later on, he attained his Economics Tripos from the University of Cambridge. In 1960, he enrolled at the University of Oxford from where he completed his D.Phil.
In 1962, he completed his doctoral thesis under the guidance of Ian Malcolm David Little.
Politician, Economist, Academic, Bureaucrat
- Father – Gurmukh Singh
- Mother – Amrit Kaur
- Siblings – Narinder Kaur (Sister), Gyan Kaur (Older Sister), Pritam Kaur (Sister), Gobind Kaur (Sister), Nirman Kaur (Sister), Narinder Kaur (Sister)
- Others – Daljit Singh Kohli (Half-Brother) (Politician), Surjeet Singh Kohli (Half-Brother), Surinder Singh Kohli (Half-Brother)
5 ft 9 in or 175 cm
80 kg or 176.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Dr. Manmohan Singh’s named has been linked with –
- Gursharan Kaur (1958-Present) – They got married in 1958 and have 2 children – a son named Upinder Singh (Historian) and a daughter named Daman Singh (Writer).
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Sikh heritage.
- Thick eyebrows
- Well maintained salt & pepper colored beard
- Wears a pair of rectangular reading glasses
- Wears a blue-colored turban
Dr. Manmohan Singh Facts
- He spent his initial years in Gah, Punjab before moving to Amritsar after the partition of India took place in 1947 where he grew up as a teenager.
- Growing up, he would study with the help of a kerosene lamp as there was no electricity in the village that he stayed in.
- Dr. Singh lost his mother at an early age. Hence, he was brought up by his paternal grandmother.
- In 1957, Dr. Singh was a member of St John’s College.
- After studying at the University of Cambridge, he returned to Punjab University as a professor from 1957 to 1959 and later he became the reader of the university Economics.
- From 1966 to 1969, Dr. Manmohan worked on the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development before being hired by the former Minister of Foreign Affairs, Lalit Narayan Mishra as his advisor.
- In 1982, he was appointed as the Governor of the Reserve Bank of India.
- He credits his tutor, British Economist Joan Robinson and Cambridge Economist Nicholas Kaldor for having taught him the “creative role of politics in shaping human affairs.”
- He begins every day with a cup of bed tea and Marie biscuits.
Featured Image By Public.Resource.Org / Flickr / CC BY 2.0