|Ed Asner Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 7 in|
|Date of Birth||November 15, 1929|
Ed Asner was an American actor and voice artist who was best known for portraying the character of Lou Grant in the sitcom The Mary Tyler Moore Show (1970–1977) and its spin-off drama TV series Lou Grant (1977–1982). He was also well recognized for his work in the TV mini-series Rich Man, Poor Man (1976) and Roots (1977). His notable performances in films include Bart Jason in El Dorado (1967), Santa Claus in Elf (2003), and Carl Fredricksen in Up (2007). He had also served as the President of the Screen Actors Guild (SAG) from November 1981 to June 1985.
Ed Asner was born on November 15, 1929.
Ed Asner died at the age of 91 on August 29, 2021, due to natural causes at his home in Los Angeles, California, United States.
Kansas City, Missouri, United States
Los Angeles, California, United States
Ed had graduated from the Wyandotte High School in Kansas City, Kansas. He had then attended The University of Chicago.
Actor, Voice Artist
- Father – Morris David Asner (Entrepreneur, Shop and Junkyard Owner) (d. May 1957)
- Mother – Elizabeth ‘Lizzie’ Asner (née Seliger) (d. January 1967)
- Siblings – Benjamin James Asner (Older Brother) (d. 1986), Eve Asner (Older Sister) (d. 2014), Esther Edelman (Older Sister) (d. 2014), Labe Asner (Older Brother) (d. 2017)
- Others – Mark Seliger (Nephew) (Photographer), Navah Paskowitz (Daughter-in-Law), Jules Asner (Ex-Daughter-in-Law) (Screenwriter, Author, Former Entertainment Journalist, Former TV Personality, Former Model), Robin Gilmore (Ex-Step-Son), Aryeh Leib (Paternal Grandfather), Beile Beurofsky (Paternal Grandmother), Harry Seliger (Maternal Grandfather), Ettel Tennenbaum (Maternal Grandmother)
5 ft 7 in or 170 cm
80 kg or 176.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Ed had dated –
- Nancy Sykes (1957-1988) – Ed began dating Nancy Sykes in 1957 and the couple got married on March 23, 1959. They had 3 children together – twins named Matthew Asner (Film Producer) and Liza Asner, and another daughter named Kathryn ‘Kate’ Asner (b. September 17, 1966) (Actress). They had parted ways in 1988.
- Carol Jean Vogelman (1986-1988) – Through his brief relationship with Carol Jean Vogelman, he had a son named Charles Edward Vogelman (b. 1987).
- Cindy Gilmore (1990-2015) – Ed had started dating film producer Cindy Gilmore in 1990 and they got engaged in 1991. The couple got married on August 2, 1998. They had filed for divorce in 2015.
Race / Ethnicity
He was of Ashkenazi Jewish (Russian and Lithuanian) descent.
- Stocky frame
- Clean-shaven look
- Affable smile
- Puffy face
- Gravelly voice
He had been featured in a TV commercial for the solar energy equipment supplier Verengo Solar (2012).
Ed Asner Facts
- Born in Kansas City, the largest city in the state of Missouri, Ed had grown up in its namesake Kansas City, the third-largest city in the state of Kansas. He had completed his schooling in the latter city. Raised in an Orthodox Jewish family, he was given the Hebrew name Yitzhak.
- In 2017, he had co-authored a book titled The Grouchy Historian: An Old-Time Lefty Defends Our Constitution Against Right-Wing Hypocrites and Nutjobs. His memoir titled Son of a Junkman was published in 2020.
- Before joining the entertainment industry, he had served with the U.S. Army Signal Corps and had participated in several plays that had toured the United States’ army camps that were stationed in Europe.
- As a parent and a grandparent of a child who has autism, he had been heavily involved with several organizations and charitable institutions like Autism Speaks that spread awareness about the disorder. He had also served on the board of Aspiritech, an organization that trained high-functioning autistic persons to test software and deliver quality-assurance services to clients.
- As of November 2020, he had been nominated for 17 Primetime Emmy Awards and 3 Daytime Emmy Awards. He had won the former accolade 7 times which had made him the most honored male performer in the history of the Primetime Emmy Awards.
Featured Image by Ed Asner / Instagram