|Ed O’Neill Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 1 in|
|Date of Birth||April 12, 1946|
Ed O’Neill is an American actor and comedian who has worked in numerous films and TV series throughout an acting career that has spanned more than 5 decades. He is most well-known for portraying the character of Al Bundy on the sitcom Married… with Children (1987-1997) and for playing Jay Pritchett on the globally popular sitcom Modern Family. Ed has also done voice-over work for films such as Finding Dory (2016) and Wreck-It Ralph (2012).
Edward Leonard O’Neill
Youngstown, Mahoning County, Ohio, United States
Los Angeles, California, United States
Ed had attended Ursuline High School in Youngstown before getting a transfer to Worthington High School where he won a state-level football championship and earned a scholarship to Ohio University. He was studying History at University and was part of Mu chapter of the Delta Tau Delta fraternity.
However, he left the institution after his sophomore year after a feud with his football coach and got a transfer to Youngstown State University, where he continued his studies and played as a defensive lineman. He was also a part of the theater program at this university.
- Father – Edward Phillip O’Neill, Sr. (Steel Mill Worker, Truck Driver)
- Mother – Ruth Ann Quinlan (Social Worker)
- Siblings – Timothy O’Neill (Younger Brother), Leonard O’Neill (Younger Brother). He also has 2 younger sisters.
- Others – Joe O’Neill (Paternal Uncle), Joseph Francis O’Neill (Paternal Grandfather), Margaret Naughton (Paternal Grandmother), Cormick Naughton (Paternal Great Grandfather), Mary Welsh (Paternal Great Grandmother), Leonard Quinlan (Maternal Grandfather), William J. Quinlan (Maternal Great Grandfather), Mary Ellen Keating (Maternal Great Grandmother), Timothy Quinlan (Maternal Great Great Grandfather), Ellen Tyrrell (Maternal Great Great Grandmother), Ethel Conroy (Maternal Grandmother)
He is represented by –
- Brillstein Entertainment Partners, Beverly Hills, California, United States
- Iris Grossman, Agent, Paradigm Talent Agency, Beverly Hills, California, United States
- Natasha Hill, Agent, MN2S Talent Agency, Miami, Florida, United States
6 ft 1 in or 185.5 cm
90 kg or 198.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Ed has dated –
- Catherine Rusoff (1986–Present) – Ed married actress Catherine Rusoff in 1986. They have 2 daughters together – Claire O’Neill (b. 1996) and Sophia O’Neill (Actress) (b. 1999).
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Irish descent.
- Bulky frame
- Dry sense of humor
- Short-cropped hair
- Freckled forehead
Ed has appeared in TV commercials for brands and services such as –
- Bob’s Big Boy Restaurant (1978)
- Red Lobster (1985)
- 1-800-COLLECT (MCI Communications Corp.) (1994-1996)
- Straight Talk (Tracfone Wireless) (Voiceover) (2016)
- Zyrtec (Voiceover) (2016-2017)
- Little Caesars Pizza
Ed O’Neill Favorite Things
- Sports – American Football, Baseball
- Interests/Hobbies – Reading, Cooking, Watching Talk Shows
- Comedy Duos – Laurel and Hardy, Abbott and Costello, Martin and Lewis
- TV Series – Curb Your Enthusiasm
- Quote – Life is simple, but we insist on making it complicated
Ed O’Neill Facts
- While he was studying at University, Ed was signed as an undrafted free agent by the Pittsburgh Steelers football team in 1969 but was cut from the squad in the training camp.
- Before getting into acting, he had worked as a substitute social studies teacher at his alma mater, Ursuline High School. He had also worked in a steel mill for 4 years.
- He then joined the American Repertory Theater in Cambridge, Massachusetts, a renowned regional theatre and worked there for several months.
- His acting breakthrough came in 1979 when he played a boxer in the Broadway play Knockout. He was spotted by director William Friedkin who offered Ed the role of a police detective in the 1980 film Cruising.
- He has trained in the martial art of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu for more than 2 decades and received his black belt in December 2007.
- For his portrayal of Jay Pritchett on the sitcom Modern Family, Ed has won the ‘Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series’ award 4 times in succession (2010-2013) at the prestigious annual Screen Actors Guild (SAG) Awards.
- On August 30, 2011, he was honored with a star on the ‘Hollywood Walk of Fame.’
- He has been credited with the invention of a popular sandwich named Boone, at the renowned Se-port Deli in Setauket, New York.
- He is left-handed.
- He received his nickname Ed O’Winner after he won his high school football team a state championship.
- He had created his own sandwich called The Boone at the Se-Port Deli in Setauket, New York.
- Ed has also won the national handball competition.
- When he first met Britney Spears, Ed wasn’t aware of her popularity.
- If Ed wasn’t an actor, he would have been an undercover agent.
- He loves talk shows.
- His children are the most influential persons in his life.
Featured Image by Peabody Awards / Flickr / CC BY-2.0