|Joey McIntyre Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 10 in|
|Date of Birth||December 31, 1972|
Joey McIntyre is an American singer, songwriter, and actor who is well-known for being a member of the boy band New Kids on the Block. Although their initial run lasted for only 10 years (1984-1994), the band was immensely successful and performed at sold-out venues all over the world. After the band split up in 1994, Joey launched his solo career and released 6 studio albums selling more than 1 million records worldwide. He has also appeared in films such as New Year’s Eve (2011), The Heat (2013), TV shows like Boston Public, Psych, The McCarthys, and stage productions like Wicked (2004-2005) and Waitress (2019). McIntyre and his former band members reunited in 2007 and NKOTB began touring nationwide with many popular musical acts like Salt-N-Pepa, Tiffany, Backstreet Boys, Paula Abdul, etc. Joey is happily married to real estate agent Barrett Williams since 2003. He has over 300k followers on Twitter and more than 400k followers on Instagram.
Joseph Mulrey McIntyre
Joey, Joe, Joe Bird, Joe Mac, Joey Mac, Joey Joe
Needham, Massachusetts, United States
New York City, New York, United States
McIntyre attended Catholic Memorial School, an all-boys preparatory school, in Roxbury, Massachusetts.
Singer, Songwriter, Record Producer, Actor
- Father – Thomas J. McIntyre (Head of the Bricklayer’s International Union) (Died in 2018)
- Mother – Katherine McIntyre (née Bowen) (Community Theater Actress) (Died in 2014 from Alzheimer’s Disease)
- Siblings – Judith McIntyre (Older Sister) (Actress), Alice McIntyre (Older Sister), Susan McIntyre (Older Sister), Patricia McIntyre (Older Sister), Carol Gallagher (Older Sister), Jean Marris (Older Sister), Kate Jacobs (Older Sister), Thomas McIntyre (Older Brother)
- Others – Frank J. Bowen (Maternal Grandfather), Marion L. Frank (Maternal Grandmother), Barbara Roche (Maternal Aunt), Phyllis Daly (Maternal Aunt), Frank Bowen (Maternal Uncle), Stephen Marris (Brother-in-law) (Husband of Jean), Kayla Shaughnessy (Niece), Clara Lawton (Niece), Joseph Gallagher (Brother-in-law) (Husband of Carol), Audrey Gallagher (Niece) (Daughter of Carol), Stacey McIntyre (Sister-in-law) (Wife of Thomas), Liam McIntyre (Nephew) (Son of Thomas), Ella McIntyre (Niece) (Daughter of Thomas), Josie McIntyre (Niece) (Daughter of Thomas), Gregory Jacobs (Brother-in-law) (Husband of Kate), Leah Jacobs (Niece) (Daughter of Kate), Danny Jacobs (Nephew) (Son of Kate), Seth Jacobs (Nephew) (Son of Kate), David Jacobs (Nephew) (Son of Kate), Ava Jacobs (Niece) (Daughter of Kate)
Joey is represented by LINK Entertainment located in California.
Pop, Swing, R&B, Teen Pop, Dance Pop, Pop Rock
- Columbia Records
- Interscope Records
- C2 Label
- Sony Music
- Work Group
- Atlantic Records
- City Light
5 ft 10 in 178 cm
74 kg or 163 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Joey McIntyre has dated –
- Nina Cammarota (1992-1999) – Model Nina Cammarota and Joey began dating in 1992 when he was 20 years old. Their relationship lasted on and off for 7 years, during which they got engaged in 1997. But, Nina and Joey pulled the plug on their relationship 2 years later and broke up in 1999.
- SuChin Pak (2000) – From October to November 2000, Joey was pictured with SuChin Pak, who went on to work as a news correspondent with MTV. They were seen attending the VH-1/Vogue Fashion Awards in October 2000 together.
- China Shavers (2002) – Joey was romantically involved with actress China Shavers in July 2002. Both of them co-starred on the comedy-drama Boston Public at that time. But, it seemed that by August their romance had fizzled out.
- Barrett Williams (2002-Present) – In August 2002, Joey met real estate agent Barrett Williams when he was house-hunting in California. After dating for 5 months, they got engaged in early 2003. The couple officially became husband and wife on August 9, 2003, the very date they met 1 year ago. Their inter-faith wedding ceremony at New York’s Plaza Hotel was presided over by a Catholic priest and a rabbi. Together they have 3 children – son Griffin Thomas (b. November 20, 2007), son Rhys Edward (b. December 13, 2009), and daughter Kira Katherine (b. May 31, 2011). Their son Rhys was diagnosed with a hearing disability as an infant.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Irish descent.
- Boston accent
- Wonky smile
Joey McIntyre has done endorsement work for the following brands –
- Burns Cowboy Shop
- In-N-Out Burger
- The Beauty Room
- Riverside Golf Club
Best Known For
- Being the youngest member of the sensational boy-band New Kids on the Block from 1984 to 1994 and 2007 to present
- His post-musical career as an actor in various films, television, and theater productions
With New Kids on the Block –
Their eponymous debut album was released in 1986. The album reached the 25th spot on the US Billboard 200.
- With NKOTBSB (New Kids on the Block + Backstreet Boys) –
In 2011, the newfound band released a compilation album NKOTBSB featuring some of the best tracks from their individual bands.
- As a solo artist –
Joey released his debut solo album titled Stay the Same in 1998. The album contained popular songs like Stay the Same and I Love You Came Too Late, both of which featured on the US Billboard Hot 100 at #10 and #54 respectively.
Joey’s first appearance in a theatrical film was in the romantic comedy The Fantasticks as Matt Hucklebee in 2000.
First TV Show
Joey made his TV show debut, as a part of New Kids on the Block, on the variety entertainment show The All-New Mickey Mouse Club in 1989.
Joey participated in the Boston Marathon in 2013 and 2014 and began preparing 2 months before the race. His training schedule included cross-training as well as doing long runs once a week. At the start, he would run for 10 miles and then incrementally extend it to around 20-22 miles. Joey would gradually start covering less distance 2 weeks before the actual event. He would also take ice baths to help his muscles recuperate faster after all the strenuous running. He completed the race in 3:57:06 and 3:48:11 in the 1st and 2nd attempts respectively.
Joey practices yoga daily and goes biking as often as possible. Additionally, he has also attended Barry’s Bootcamp to build his endurance and flaunted his resulting chiseled abs at The Main Event concert tour in 2015.
Joey McIntyre Favorite Things
- Actress – Geraldine Page
- New Kids On The Block Song – Please Don’t Go Girl
- TV Show – The Simpsons
- Idea For A Date – Going to Disney World
- Food – Mom’s Meatloaf
- Food On The Cruise – Lobster
- Song – Magic by Coldplay
- Children’s Book To Read To His Kids – Goodnight, Goodnight, Construction Site (2011)
- Movie – Shakespeare in Love (1998)
- Meal To Have The Night Before A Race – Pasta
- Post-Race Meal – Chocolate milk mixed with coffee
- Restaurant In Boston – Ristorante Saraceno
Joey McIntyre Facts
- Joey got his name from St. Joseph and a family friend whose last name was Mulrey.
- He grew up in a religious Irish-Catholic family. His mother wanted him to become a priest.
- Joey served as an altar boy and sang in the church choir when he was 5 years old.
- As a kid, his ambition was to follow in his father’s footsteps and work as a bricklayer.
- After the initial 4 members were finalized for New Kids on the Block, Manager Maurice Starr decided to hire a Michael Jackson-like singer to complete the line-up. He finally settled on McIntyre, who was 12 years old at the time of his joining in 1985.
- Initially, Joey was bullied by the other band members who were all childhood friends. He joined the group as a replacement for Mark Wahlberg, who had left to pursue his own musical ambitions.
- His band was initially called Nynuk but it was changed to New Kids on the Block after the title of a rap song on their debut album.
- NKOTB has a huge fan following, of mostly women, who are referred to as ‘Blockheads’.
- Forbes listed NKOTB as the highest-earning entertainers, ahead of Michael Jackson and Madonna, in 1991.
- He recorded a song called Remember Me for his bandmate Donnie Wahlberg‘s film Southie (1999).
- Joey is an ambassador of the non-profit organization, Hear the World which works towards raising awareness and creating a better life for people with hearing impairment. His son Rhys was diagnosed with severe hearing loss right after birth.
- His former house, which has a part of the Underground Railroad, was featured on MTV Cribs in 2000.
- He lost his virginity while touring with his band, New Kids on the Block.
- Joey struggled to land a recording deal when he started out as a solo artist. As a result, he recorded his debut album, Stay the Same with his own money and sold it on his website. After the album gained popularity, he was offered a contract by Sony Music under their C2 label.
- After disbanding in 1994, several attempts were made to reunite the group. The band members finally decided to come together for their second stint in 2007.
- The Commonwealth of Massachusetts declared April 24th as “New Kids on the Block Day” in 1989.
- The numbers 809 have been very symbolic in Joey’s life. He met his wife Barrett on August 9 (8/09) and the address of the house she helped him rent bore the same numbers. Joey had his wedding band inscribed with this number and it is also their wedding date. Additionally, his 4th solo studio album, which he wrote in that house, is also named 8:09.
- In 2005, Joey was listed as #44 on the list of “The Greatest: 100 Greatest Kid Stars”.
- Joey ran the Boston Marathon in 2013 to raise awareness about Alzheimer’s (for his mother) with a finishing time of 3 hours and 57 minutes. A few minutes later, while he was seated near the finish line at Copley Square, 2 bombs went off which resulted in the death of 3 spectators and left an estimated 264 people injured.
- Joey and his bandmates were felicitated with a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame on October 9, 2014.
- Visit his official website @ joeymcintyre.com.
- Follow Joey McIntyre on Twitter and Instagram.
Featured Image by Isabelle Boeijen / Wikimedia / Public Domain