The Backstreet Boys is a famous American vocal group which was formed in Orlando, Florida in 1993. As of 2018, the group includes 5 members namely AJ McLean, Howie Dorough, Nick Carter, Kevin Richardson, and Brian Littrell. They are best known for their singles Show Me The Meaning Of Being Lonely, I Want It That Way, As Long As You Love Me, Quit Playing Games With My Heart, and several others.
Orlando, Florida, United States
Pop, Dance-Pop, R&B, Teen Pop, Pop Rock, Adult Contemporary
- RCA Records
- Jive Records (Defunct)
- Legacy Recordings (Former)
First Headlining Tour
The band’s first headlining tour was We Wanna Be With You Tour. The tour started on December 23, 1995, and ended on August 11, 1996.
The group released its self-titled debut album, Backstreet Boys, on May 6, 1996. The album peaked at number 1 on music charts in countries like Austria, Canada, Germany, and Switzerland.
Backstreet Boys Facts
- In 1992, after watching music producer Lou Pearlman’s ad in the Orlando Sentinel about composing a vocal group, AJ McLean became the first member to audition, for him in his living room, and join the group.
- The other 3 members, Howie Dorough, Nick Carter, and Kevin Richardson, were selected through an open casting call.
- Kevin Richardson called his cousin, Brian Littrell, and told him about the group and the next day, Brian flew from Kentucky to Orlando to formally join the group on April 20, 1993.
- After the joining of all 5 members, the group finally came into existence on April 20, 1993, which became their anniversary date.
- The Backstreet Boys officially performed for the first time on May 8, 1993, at SeaWorld Orlando.
- The group got international fame after the release of their self-titled U.S. debut album. Their other albums such as Millennium and Black & Blue also peaked at number 1 spot on the U.S. Billboard chart.
- In 2002, the group wanted to break ties with their management agency The Firm but Nick decided to stay with the agency for his solo career. Shortly after, the rest of the group began recording the next album without him.
- In 2006, Kevin left the group to pursue his other ventures and reunited with the group in 2012.
- Visit the band’s official website @ backstreetboys.com.
- Connect with the band members on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube.
Featured Image by Krystaleen / Wikimedia / CC BY-SA 3.0