|AJ McLean Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 9 in|
|Date of Birth||January 9, 1978|
AJ McLean is an American singer, songwriter, actor, dancer, and model. He is best known for being a member of the popular vocal group, the Backstreet Boys, formed in the early 1990s. He was the first member to join the band and has produced several successful tracks along with the other members of the group. As a solo artist, AJ has provided vocals to various songs like Teenage Wildlife, Live Together, and Back Porch Bottle Service.
Alexander James McLean
A.J., Alexander McLean, A.J. Mean McLean, Alex, Bone, Bone Daddy, Johnny No Name, Mr. Cool
West Palm Beach, Florida, United States
Los Angeles, California, United States
AJ went to Osceola High School. He also attended the Florida Academy of Dramatic Arts.
Singer, Songwriter, Actor, Dancer, Model
- Father – Robert Blue “Bob” McLean
- Mother – Denise (née Fernandez)
- Siblings – None
- Others – Luther Irving McLean (Paternal Grandfather), Irene Frances /Francis Thompson (Paternal Grandmother), Ursula Margerat /Margaret Maier (Maternal Grandmother), Adolph Henry Fernandez (Maternal Grandfather)
AJ is represented by Malibu Films.
Pop, CCM, Dance-Pop, R&B, Teen Pop, Pop Rock, Adult Contemporary
Vocals, Guitar, Bass Guitar, Drums, Piano, Saxophone, Violin
K-BAHN, RCA Records, Avex Inc., Podwall, Legacy Recordings (Former)
5 ft 9 in or 175 cm
73 kg or 161 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
AJ has dated –
- Anastacia Newkirk – AJ was rumored to be dating American singer Anastacia in the past.
- Stephanie Hirsh (1991-1992) – He was also linked with Stephanie Hirsh in 1991.
- Marisa Jackson (1991-1997) – AJ has been involved with American Personality and daughter of music manager Donna Wright. The couple began dating in January 1991 and separated on 14th February, 1997.
- Amanda Latona (1998-2000) – AJ began dating American bodybuilder Amanda in February 1998. Things, however, did not go on for much longer and they parted ways in November 2000.
- Kristin Denehy – The couple dated for two months starting from November 1999 to January 2000.
- Casey Raye (2000) – AJ was said to have hooked up with American pornstar Casey Raye in December 2000.
- Sarah Martin – AJ began dating American singer Sarah Martin in December 2000. The couple got engaged on December 17, 2001. After staying engaged for three years they parted ways in February 2005.
- Dalene Kurtis (2003) – In May 2003, AJ and American model Dalene were said to have hooked up.
- Summer Altice (2003) – On May 14, 2003, AJ was seen with yet another American model Summer Altice.
- Shauna Sand (2003) – The pair was rumored to have hooked up in July 2003.
- Kaci Brown (2005-2006) – AJ dated American singer Kaci for a year starting from August 2005. Things, however, went downhill and they parted ways in August 2006.
- Wendy Rice (2008) – American actress Wendy Rice was rumored to have been romantically involved with AJ in 2008.
- Shelly Martinez (2008) – in March 2008, AJ was said to have been dating American wrestler Shelly Martinez.
- Rochelle Deanna Karidis – AJ tied the knot with girlfriend Rochelle Deanna Karidis, a makeup /hair stylist, on December 17, 2011. The wedding took place in Beverly Hills, California and all his band members were present. The couple became proud parents to their first child, a daughter named Ava Jaymes, on November 27, 2012, and welcomed their second child, a daughter named Lyric Dean, on March 19, 2017.
Race / Ethnicity
Multiracial (Hispanic & White)
He is of Puerto Rican and German descent on his mother’s side and has Scots-Irish, French, and English ancestry on his father’s side.
- Ears and nose piercing
- Often wears a cap
AJ has done endorsement work for brands like –
- Old Navy
- Burger King
- J.C. Penny
Best Known For
Being a member of the popular vocal group, the Backstreet Boys, formed in the early 1990s
As a member of the Backstreet Boys, his debut album, Backstreet Boys, was released on May 6, 1996. The album peaked at number 1 on music charts in countries like Austria, Canada, Germany, and Switzerland.
In 1986, AJ made his feature film debut as Little Mike in the horror film, Truth or Dare?.
First TV Show
He made his first TV show appearance in Hi Honey, I’m Home! as Skunk in 1991.
AJ McLean Facts
- AJ’s parents divorced when he was only 4 and he was raised by his mother with the help of his grandparents.
- His twin sisters passed away at the time of their birth.
- After he discovered his interest in dancing at the age of 4, his mother enrolled him for dance lessons.
- His dance training included ballet, jazz, tap, hip hop, rhythm tap, rhythm hip-hop, contemporary, ballroom, salsa, merengue, and gymnastics which continued for almost 4 years.
- At the age of 5, he was included in a few modeling works as a child model.
- In 1992, AJ auditioned for producer Lou Pearlman, who was in search of new talent to form a boy band, in his living room and passed the audition. He became the first member of the Backstreet Boys.
- After joining the band, he completed the final year of his high school with a tutor on the road.
- While still a member of the group, he suffered from drug and alcohol addiction and went to rehab in 2001 and again in 2002.
- Visit his official website @ ajmclean.com.
- Follow AJ McLean on Instagram, Facebook, Spotify, Twitter, and YouTube.
Featured Image by Joel Telling / Flickr / CC BY 2.0