|RuPaul Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 4 in|
|Date of Birth||November 17, 1960|
RuPaul is an American Drag Queen, actor, model, singer, songwriter, television personality, and author. He has been dubbed the most commercially successful drag queen of America and has also been a recipient of the Emmy Award thrice until 2018. He has a strong fan base on social media with over 3 million followers on Instagram and more than 2 million followers on Twitter.
RuPaul Andre Charles
Glamazon, Supermodel of the World, The World’s Most Famous Drag Queen
San Diego, California, United States
RuPaul studied performing arts at North Atlanta High School in Atlanta, Georgia.
Drag Performer, Actor, Model, Singer, Songwriter, Television Personality, Author
- Father – Irving Charles
- Mother – Ernestine “Toni” Charles
- Siblings – Renetta (Older Sister), Renae Charles (Older Sister), Rozy Charles (Younger Sister)
- Others – Felix “Bukey” Fontenet /Fontenette (Maternal Grandfather), Ernestine Girard /Gerard (Maternal Grandmother)
RuPaul is represented by –
- Ruco, Inc.
- CEG Talent
Dance-Pop, Dance, Disco House, R&B, Eurodance, Electro House
Funtone, Every, Tommy Boy, Rhino, RuCo, World of Wonder
According to CelebrityNetWorth.com, RuPaul’s net worth had been $60 million.
6 ft 4 in or 193 cm
78 kg or 172 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
RuPaul has dated –
- Georges LeBar (1994-Present) – RuPaul has been with his husband and painter, Georges LeBar, since 1994. They first met at the Limelight nightclub in New York. As per an article in March 2017, RuPaul has stated that LeBar owns a farm in Wyoming and does not care much about the show business. The couple secretly tied the knot in January 2017.
Race / Ethnicity
He has African-American ancestry on his father’s side and is of African, French, Swiss-German descent on his mother’s side.
He mostly wears ‘blonde’ wigs for his performances.
- Oval facial structure
- Often wears glasses
RuPaul has endorsed various brands like –
- Old Navy Tech Vests (1999) (TV Commercial)
- MAC cosmetics (Print Adverts)
- Baileys Irish Cream Liqueur (1996) (Print Adverts)
- WebEx (TV Commercial)
As per an interview in January 2018, RuPaul stated that he is not very religious but he does pray and also engages in spiritual practices like meditation and yoga.
Best Known For
- Being America’s most commercially successful Drag Queen
- His debut single, Supermodel (You Better Work), which brought him international fame and critical acclaim
RuPaul released his first studio album, Supermodel of the World, on June 8, 1993.
First TV Show
RuPaul made his first TV show appearance in The Gong Show in 1988.
He made his TV show debut as a voice actor in the Werking Mom episode of the animated comedy series, The Simpsons, in 1989.
RuPaul Favorite Things
- Movie – Elvira: Mistress of the Dark (1988)
Source – IMDb
- RuPaul’s name was given to him by his mother. The ‘Ru’ in his name is derived from roux, a term for the base of gumbo and other creole stews and soups.
- In an interview, he stated that his mother always knew that he would be famous that is the reason behind his unique name.
- His parents got divorced when he was 7 years old. So, he and his siblings lived with their mother after the divorce.
- He moved to Atlanta, Georgia at the age of 15 and started his career as a musician and a filmmaker in the years that followed.
- His first modeling contract was with MAC Cosmetics which made RuPaul the first Drag Queen to land such a big campaign and he, later on, became the first Drag supermodel.
- He is considered the most successful drag queen of America.
- One of his distinctive features is his tall stature. In an interview, he stated that he mostly wears eight-inch heels that makes him over 7 feet tall.
- In an interview, he stated that he was obsessed with hot rods, Cadillacs, and drag racing as a child.
- He also served as the producer and host of the reality competition series, RuPaul’s Drag Race, for which he has won numerous Primetime Emmy Awards.
- During the 2021 Creative Arts Emmy Awards, he won the award for “Outstanding Host for a Reality or Competition Program” for RuPaul’s Drag Race. The show also won an Emmy award for “Outstanding Competition Program” and with this, RuPaul broke the record for most Emmy wins by a person of color.
- In January 2022, during an interview on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, RuPaul revealed that he would want “The Olsen twins” to portray his role in a movie about his life.
- In February 2022, RuPaul was announced as the host of reboot of the game show, Lingo.
- Visit his official website @ rupaul.com.
- Follow RuPaul on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Google+, and iTunes.
Featured Image by David Shankbone / Wikimedia / CC BY-SA 3.0