|Ederson Moraes Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 2 in|
|Date of Birth||August 17, 1993|
Ederson Moraes moved to Europe at the age of 16. His departure from Brazil came on the back of his disappointment release from youth academy of São Paulo FC. However, he had managed to impress his coaches enough to secure a move through Jorge Mendes’s agency. Once in Portugal, he took some time to find his feet. He eventually delivered sufficiently consistent performances to secure a move to Benfica FC. He earned his breakthrough in the 2nd season at the club with 38 appearances in the season. By that time, he had caught the attention of Pep Guardiola who was adamant that his team would build attacks from the back. The transfer proved to be beneficial for all the parties involved as Manchester City won the domestic title with record-breaking points haul.
Ederson Santana de Moraes
Osasco, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Ederson started his soccer journey with the youth setup of his local club, São Paulo FC.
Professional Soccer Player
- Father – Antonis Moraes (He stacked fruit onto lorries in Osasco.)
- Mother – Joelma
Ederson is represented by Jorge Mendes’s agency, GestiFute.
93 – Rio Ave FC
1 – SL Benfica
31 – Manchester City
12, 23 – Brazil National Team
6 ft 2 in or 188 cm
83 kg or 183 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Ederson has dated –
- Lais Moraes (2014-Present) – In April 2014, Ederson got married to Lais Moraes after they had been dating for a long time. She gave birth to their daughter, Yasmin, in July 2017. In September 2018, Lais gave birth to their son, Henrique.
Race / Ethnicity
He has got numerous tattoos including an ink art of a flower on the side of the neck.
Ederson has inked an endorsement deal with Nike. He is required to wear Nike footwear and gloves for his professional matches.
He is a devout Christian.
Best Known For
Being one of the finest young goalkeepers. His technical ability and the ability to play accurate passes have made him a perfect choice for Pep Guardiola and he is also one of the most capable sweeper-keepers in the world football.
First Soccer Match
In August 2012, he made his professional debut for Rio Ave in a league match against Maritimo. His side lost the match by 1-0.
In March 2016, Ederson made his first appearance for Benfica in a league match against Sporting CP. The away match ended in a 1-0 win for his side.
He made his debut for Manchester City in August 2017 in an away Premier League match against Brighton in August 2017. He kept a clean sheet as his side won the fixture by 2-0.
In October 2017, he made his first international appearance for Brazil national team in a 2018 World Cup qualifier match against Chile. Brazil won the match by 3-0.
First Web Show
In 2018, Ederson made his first web show appearance in the sports series, All or Nothing: Manchester City. The documentary series focussed on Manchester City‘s league title-winning run.
- Physical Presence
- Technical Ability
- Ability to play sweeper-keeper
- Reading of the game
He doesn’t have any apparent weaknesses in his game.
Ederson Moraes Favorite Things
- Role Model – Rogério Ceni
Source – The Guardian
Ederson Moraes Facts
- He started his soccer career by playing as a left back for the local Brazilian soccer club, Champions Ebenézer FC. He followed in the footsteps of his older brother to join the club.
- He was recommended to the youth setup of São Paulo by Gilberto Lopes, better known as Giba, who was his coach at Champions Ebenézer FC. Eventually, he joined the under-13 team at São Paulo.
- Despite impressing his coaches at São Paulo, they decided against retaining him and he resumed his training at his former club.
- However, he got his big break after Jorge Mendes’s associate asked Antonio Rodrigues, Ederson’s former coach, to recommend a promising goalkeeper. Rodrigues didn’t hesitate in naming Ederson and he got his move to Portugal.
- In June 2015, he moved to Benfica from Rio Ave. Despite the transfer, Rio Ave got to keep 50% of his economic rights.
- He signed an official contract with the Portuguese club in July 2015. As per the agreement, his release clause was set at €45 million.
- During his stay at Benfica, he managed to win 2 Primeira Liga titles. He also won a Taça de Portugal and Taça da Liga.
- In June 2017, Manchester City decided to pay £35 million (€40 million) as Pep Guardiola sought to replace error-prone Claudio Bravo between the sticks.
- He suffered a facial injury in September 2017 in a match against Liverpool. He was accidentally kicked in the face by Sadio Mane. He had to be withdrawn from the match despite receiving a treatment for 8 minutes.
- Mane was shown a straight red card by the referee and was handed a 3-match ban. Ederson had to get 8 stitches on his face.
- However, the serious nature of the injury didn’t keep him out for long and he returned to the starting line up the following week for a Champions League match against Feyenoord. To protect his face, he had opted to wear a protective headgear.
- In August 2018, he became the first goalkeeper in the Premier League history of Manchester City to record an assist. His long ball was pounced on by Sergio Agüero to score the 1st goal in a 6-1 win over Huddersfield Town.
- In 2016, he was included in Brazil’s provisional squad for Copa América Centenario. However, he was later spared from joining the squad because of an injury.
- In 2016, he got his Portuguese citizenship which made him eligible for the Portuguese national team but he decided to stick with Brazil.
- Follow Ederson Moraes on Facebook and Instagram.
Featured Image by Ederson Moraes / Instagram