|Édith Piaf Quick Info|
|Height||4 ft 9¾ in|
|Date of Birth||December 19, 1915|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Édith Piaf was a French singer, songwriter, cabaret performer, and film actress who gained extreme fame and international acclaim for her time and has left behind a legacy that still serves as a milestone in the field of art and music. “La Vie en rose” became her signature song and there would hardly be a music enthusiast who hasn’t heard the beautiful composition.
Édith Giovanna Gassion
Édith Piaf, La Môme Piaf (The Little Sparrow), The French Billie Holiday
She was born on December 19, 1915.
Édith Piaf died at the age of 47 on October 10, 1963, in Plascassier, Grasse, France after suffering from liver cancer.
Père Lachaise Cemetery
Singer, Songwriter, Cabaret Performer, Film Actress
- Father – Louis Alphonse Gassion (Singer, Street Performer of Acrobats)
- Mother – Annetta Giovanna Margherita (Maillard) (Café Singer)
- Others – Simone “Mômone” Berteaut (Half-Sister), Denise Gassion (Younger Half-Sister), Victor Alphonse Gassion (Paternal Grandfather) (Horseman in the circus), Pierre François Gassion (Paternal Great Grandfather), Augustine Duval (Paternal Great Grandmother), Louise Léontine Deschamps (Paternal Grandmother), Louis François Descamps (Paternal Great Grandfather), Elisabeth Lucier (Paternal Great Grandmother), Auguste Eugène Maillard (Maternal Grandfather), Stanislas Maillard (Maternal Great Grandfather), Marie Victorine Crétois (Maternal Great Grandmother), Emma Saïd ben Mohamed (Maternal Grandmother), Saïd ben Mohamed (Maternal Great Grandfather), Margarita Bracco (Maternal Great Grandmother)
Édith Piaf was managed by Louis Leplee, her first manager.
Cabaret, Torch songs, Chanson, Musical theatre
Pathé Records, Capitol Records/EMI (US and Canada), Parlophone/WEA
4 ft 9¾ in or 146.5 cm
45 kg or 99 lbs
Girlfriend / Boyfriend / Spouse
Édith Piaf had dated –
- John Garfield
- Henri Conte
- Marlon Brando
- Louis Dupont (1931) – This relationship resulted in the birth of Piaf’s first and the only child, a daughter named Marcelle Dupont, when Piaf was only around 17 years old. However, the child passed away at the age of 2 from meningitis.
- Raymond Asso (1936-1939)
- Paul Meurisse (1939-1941)
- Yves Montand (1944-1946)
- Takisz Menelasz (1946)
- Marlene Dietrich (1947-1963)
- Marcel Cerdan (1948-1949) – He was a renowned middleweight world champion and a well-known figure in France who died in a plane crash while on his way to meet Édith Piaf.
- Charles Aznavour (1950)
- Jacques Pills (1952-1957) – Piaf got married to singer and actor, Jacques Pills, in 1952 but they divorced in the year 1957 after having been together for only a couple of years.
- Douglas Davis (1958-1959)
- Théo Sarapo (1962-1963) – A singer and actor, Théo Sarapo was around 20 years younger than Édith Piaf and the couple tied the knot in 1962. They performed together on a couple of occasions and remained together until Piaf’s death.
Race / Ethnicity
Édith Piaf was of French, Moroccan, and Italian descent.
- Petite stature
- Touching, impactful mezzo-soprano vocals
- Her black dress
Édith Piaf Favorite Things
- One Of Her Favorite Composers – Marguerite Monnot
Source – Wikipedia
Édith Piaf Facts
- She grew up under the care of her paternal grandmother who ran a brothel in Normandy.
- La Vie en rose (2007) is a biographical film based on Piaf’s life and she has been played by actress Marion Cotillard.
Featured Image by JB ARRIEU ALBERTINI / Wikimedia / Public Domain