|Enzo Fernández Quick Info
|5 ft 10 in
|Date of Birth
|January 17, 2001
Enzo Fernández is an Argentinian professional soccer player who has represented, as a central midfielder, Club Atlético River Plate (2019-2022) in Argentina and S.L. Benfica (2022-Present) in Portugal. Between 2020 and 2021, he also spent a loan spell with the top-filght Argentinian professional soccer club Defensa y Justicia. He was a key part of the Defensa y Justicia squads that won the Copa Sudamericana (the 2nd-tier club competition in South American soccer, ranking below the Copa Libertadores) title in 2020 and the Recopa Sudamericana in 2021. Both these titles were the 1st such in the club’s history. The Recopa Sudamericana (founded in 1989) is annually decided via a one-off match played between the winners of the Copa Libertadores (the most prestigious club competition in South American soccer) and the Copa Sudamericana. For his performances, Enzo was also included in the 2020 Copa Sudamericana‘s ‘Squad of the Season’. With Club Atlético River Plate, he won the Argentine Primera División (the top tier of the Argentinian soccer league system) title in 2021. It was the club’s record-extending 37th such title. At the international level, Enzo represented Argentina at the under-18 tier before making his senior national debut in September 2022. With Argentina, he won the 2022 edition of the FIFA (Fédération Internationale de Football Association) World Cup. This was the 3rd time that Argentina had won the tournament – after 1978 and 1986. Enzo won the ‘FIFA Young Player’ award for his performances in the 2022 FIFA World Cup.
Enzo Jeremías Fernández
San Martín, Buenos Aires Province, Argentina
He splits his time between Buenos Aires, Argentina, and Lisbon, Portugal.
Professional Soccer Player
- Father – Raúl Fernández
- Siblings – He has 4 older brothers.
- 24 – Argentina
- 37, 16, 13 – Club Atlético River Plate
- 34, 8 – Defensa y Justicia
- 13 – S.L. Benfica
5 ft 10 in or 178 cm
76 kg or 167.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Enzo has dated –
- Valentina Cervantes (2019-Present) – Enzo began dating Valentina Cervantes in 2019, while he was still a teenager. They have a daughter together named Olivia (b. May 2020).
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Argentinian descent.
- Toned physique
- Side-cropped, side-parted hair
- Affable smile
- Often sports a light stubble
- Has both his hands and his left leg covered in tattoos
He has been sponsored by Nike, Inc., an American multinational footwear, apparel, and sports equipment brand.
Enzo Fernández Facts
- He was named after Uruguayan soccer legend Enzo Francescoli as his father was a huge admirer of Francescoli’s elegant style of play.
- Enzo’s youth career began in 2005 when, as a 4-year-old, he joined a local soccer club called Club La Recova. In 2006, he was selected by the youth system of Club Atlético River Plate, Argentina’s most successful team in domestic competitions. He stayed in the system until 2019 when he was promoted to the club’s senior team.
- At the 2022 edition of the FIFA World Cup, Enzo scored the critical 2nd goal (in the 87th minute) in Argentina’s 2-0 win over Mexico in the teams’ 2nd match of the group stage. This was the first goal of his senior-level international career for Argentina. This also made him the then 2nd youngest Argentinian player (only behind Lionel Messi) to have scored a goal in the FIFA World Cup.
- The win played a vital role in Argentina’s progression to the knockout phase of the competition, particularly after the team’s shock 2-1 defeat at the hands of Saudi Arabia in the team’s opening group-stage encounter. Argentina went on to beat Poland by a 2-0 margin in its last group-stage match to qualify for the knockout phase.
- In Argentina’s pre-quarterfinal match of the tournament, against Australia, Enzo scored an own goal. This made him the youngest Argentinian player to have endured this fate in a FIFA World Cup match. Fortunately for Argentina, that own goal came in the 77th minute of the match by when they had already scored 2 goals. They held on to this 2-1 lead until the end of the match to qualify for the quarter-final stage of the tournament.
- At the 2022 FIFA World Cup held in Qatar, he was named the tournament’s best young player.
- In 2023, Enzo became the most expensive Argentine football player in history and also the most expensive Premier League footballer. He was purchased for €121 million by Chelsea from Benfica on the transfer deadline day. Before Enzo, Gonzalo Higuain was the most expensive when he was sold for €90 million from Napoli to Juventus in 2016.
Featured Image by Enzo Fernández / Instagram