|Lionel Messi Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 7 in|
|Date of Birth||June 24, 1987|
Lionel Messi is an Argentine professional footballer who is often regarded as one of the greatest players of all time and has won a record 7 Ballon d’Or awards and a record six European Golden Shoes. A Barcelona legend, he has scored more than 700 senior career goals for club and country as well as has held the records for most goals in La Liga (445), a La Liga and European league season (50), most hat-tricks in La Liga (36) and the UEFA Champions League (8), and most assists in La Liga (183), a La Liga and European league season (21), and the Copa América (12). With Argentina, he finished as the runner-up in the 2014 edition of the FIFA (Fédération Internationale de Football Association) World Cup. He won the ‘Golden Ball’ award as the best player in the tournament. He won the 2022 edition of the tournament and scored 2 goals in the final match against France. This was the 3rd time that Argentina had won the tournament – after 1978 and 1986. He scored 7 goals overall in the tournament and won the ‘Silver Boot’ award as the 2nd-highest goalscorer. He also repeated his 2014 feat of winning the ‘Golden Ball’ award.
Lionel Andrés Messi
La Pulga, Leo
Lionel has not much educational experience as he has been playing football since childhood and at such a low age, he achieved much fame.
- Father – Jorge Horácio Messi (Factory Steelworker)
- Mother – Celia María Cuccittini (Part-time Cleaner, Worked in a magnet manufacturing workshop)
- Siblings – Rodrigo (Older Brother), Matías (Older Brother), María Sol (Sister)
- Others – Eusebio Italo Messi Baró (Paternal Grandfather), Rosa María Pérez Mateu (Paternal Grandmother), Antonio Cuccittini (Maternal Grandfather), Celia Ramona Oliveira (Maternal Grandmother), Maxi Biancucchi (Cousin) (Footballer), Emanuel Biancucchi (Cousin) (Footballer)
His agent is Guillermo Marin.
5 ft 7 in or 170 cm
68 kg or 160 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Messi has dated –
- Macarena Lemos (2006-2008) – Rumor. Lemos is an Argentinean adult/glamour model who received fame after dating Messi in 2006. They first met in the city of Rosario. Their relationship was stated by gente.com.ar.
- Antonela Roccuzzo (2007-Present) – She is also from Rosario. The duo started dating in 2007. Antonela was born in January 1991. They first met at Lucas Scaglia’s place (one of Messi’s closest friends) and Messi and Antonela got married at a luxury hotel named Hotel City Center in Rosario on June 30, 2017, with about 260 guests attending the wedding. The couple has been blessed with 3 children, namely, Thiago (b. November 2, 2012), Mateo (b. September 11, 2015), and Ciro (b. March 10, 2018).
- Luciana Salazar (2008) – Adult model Salazar was rumored to have had a fling with Lionel in 2008.
- Anna Weber (2011) – Polish model was rumored to be dating Messi in 2011.
Race / Ethnicity
Multiracial (Hispanic and Caucasian)
He has Italian, Catalan, and Spanish ancestry.
- Rosarino accent
- Short stature
- Wears number 10 shirt for FC Barcelona and Argentina
10 (US) or 9 (UK) or 43 (EU)
Adidas, Audemars Piguet, Cherry, Dolce & Gabbana, PepsiCo, Ooredoo, Herbalife, EA Sports.
In 2022, Lionel partnered with the crypto copy trading platform Bitget.
Best Known For
Quick, balanced, and a stylish runner with the football
Messi’s ball skills, balance while running, leg-eye coordination are awesome. He is also very difficult to be tackled when he is running with the ball.
He tries to finish the move by scoring a goal himself without looking for any teammate very often.
First TV Show
In 2005, Lionel appeared in La noche del 10 in season 1 and episode number 3 as a guest. This show was hosted by Diego Maradona.
Messi has two different approaches for the workouts which deal with thrust, speed, and movement in various directions. Read more regarding his training and diet plan.
Lionel Messi Facts
- By the age of five, he started playing football for a local club, Grandoli, which was coached by his father.
- His paternal family originates from Ancona, an Italian city.
- Messi was diagnosed with a growth hormone deficiency at the age of 11.
- Carles Rexach (sporting director of FC Barcelona) offered Messi a contract (after successful completion of trials) written on a napkin as he was having no paper in hand.
- Lionel Messi is the first football player in history to win four FIFA/Ballons d’Or and that too consecutively.
- At 25, he also became the youngest player to score 200 La Liga goals.
- He won UEFA Best Player in Europe Award in the 2010-2011 session.
- He has appeared in EA’s FIFA video game in 2013.
- He also runs a charity named Leo Messi Foundation which he founded in 2007. This charity is responsible for the education and health care of children.
- In 2010, he was made Goodwill Ambassador for UNICEF.
- In 2011 and 2012, he has been mentioned in TIME magazine in the world’s most influential people list.
- After Argentina lost the final match to Chile on June 26, 2016, Messi announced his retirement. However, later, he changed his mind and represented his team in the 2018 World Cup held in Russia.
- Diego Maradona had declared Messi as his successor.
- Leo’s favorite music styles are listed as Samba and Cumbi.
- He was the highest-paid soccer player of 2020 as per Forbes with $126 million in earnings. Cristiano Ronaldo was #2.
- In February 2020, he became the first-ever footballer as well as the first-ever team sport athlete to win the Laureus World Sportsman of the Year Award.
- He received a 3-month ban from international football and was fined $50,000 by CONMEBOL for his comments against the referee’s decision in August 2020.
- With $104 million as his total earnings, Messi was the 5th highest-paid celebrity of 2020 as per Forbes.
- In April 2021, he purchased a 5,515-square-foot condo on the 9th floor of a luxury apartment building in Sunny Isles Beach in Miami for $7.3 million which he later rented out.
- In 2021, Lionel’s national side Argentina had won the Copa America tournament by defeating Brazil in the final by 1-0. This was Argentina’s first Copa America title win in 28 years. Before this, Messi had reached the final of Copa America 3 times but couldn’t win.
- Lionel won his first international trophy in the form of a Copa America 2021 win.
- In July 2021, Lionel spent his vacation in a house in Key Biscayne, Florida for a huge rent of $200,000 a month. The house was 8,202 square feet with 5 bedrooms (with 75″ smart HDTVs in each of them) and 5.5 bathrooms. It further has a rooftop terrace, an infinity pool on a wooden deck, and a modern gym.
- In August 2021, Lionel left Barcelona after 21 years and instead joined the French club Paris Saint-Germain for 2 years with the option of an additional year. He was partly paid in cryptocurrency fan tokens ($PSG Fan Tokens).
- On November 29, 2021, he won his 7th Ballon d’Or title after helping Argentina win the 2021 Copa América title. He had scored 40 goals at the club and international level for the calendar year.
- He was tested positive for COVID-19 in January 2022.
- In July 2022, Messi threatened to leave the PSG club (and join Barcelona instead) if Cristiano Ronaldo was also signed to the club. At that time, Ronaldo was looking to change his club as Manchester United had failed to qualify for the Champions League.
- In 2022, as per Hopper HQ’s highest-paid celebrities on the Instagram list, he was charging $1,777,000 per sponsored post on Instagram. Thereby, positioning him at the 3rd spot for the highest-paid celebrity on Instagram.
- Lionel Messi was the 2nd highest-paid footballer of 2022 as per the list released by Forbes in October 2022. He was estimated to make $120 million in the 2022-2023 season.
- During the 2022-2023 season of Europe’s top 5 leagues, Lionel Messi was the only player to get 10+ goals and 10+ assists.
- During the 2022 FIFA World Cup held in Qatar, Messi-led Argentina was staying at Qatar University instead of a 5-star hotel so that they all could have their traditional beef barbecues called Asados during the World Cup.
- In December 2022, Messi named 4 teams – Argentina, Brazil, France, and Spain as his favorites to win the FIFA World Cup 2022 in Qatar, after their team, Argentina defeated Australia in the ‘Round of 16’ match. However, only Argentina had reached the semi-final. The remaining 3 teams were defeated in their quarter-final matches.
- In December 2022, Lionel Messi became Argentina’s all-time leading goalscorer in FIFA World Cup history after scoring his 11th FIFA World Cup goal in a semi-final match against Croatia in the 34th minute which was a penalty shoot. The previous record was held by Argentina’s Gabriel Batistuta.
- To his name, he also has a record for most appearances (19) as a captain at the FIFA World Cup which he made in December 2022 in the 2022 World Cup’s semi-final match against Croatia.
- Messi scored 7 goals (out of which 2 goals were scored in the final) in the entire 2022 FIFA World Cup in Qatar.
- He made his team win the 2022 FIFA World Cup by defeating France in the final. Argentina won by 4-2 in the penalty shoot-out. This was Argentina’s third win in the FIFA World Cup.
- He lifted the FIFA World Cup trophy while wearing a black bisht (a traditional men’s cloak in Arab countries).
- Messi received the Golden Ball award in the FIFA World Cup 2022 as he was named the best player in the tournament. This was his second Golden Ball award win in his career.
- After his World Cup win in December 2022, Messi sent a signed Argentina jersey to BCCI (Board of Control for Cricket in India) Secretary Jay Shah. Messi had written the message, “Para Jay Shah” on the jersey.
- In 2023, Messi bought 35 gold iPhones (24-carat each) worth £1,75,000 to gift each team member and support staff of his FIFA World Cup 2022 winning team. Each phone has the Argentinian logo on the back side of the phone along with the player’s name and squad number. The phone was made by iDesign Gold.
- For the 2009-2010 season, Messi won Golden Boot, Pichichi Trophy, FIFA World Player, and Ballon d’Or awards and with this, he became the only player in the history of club football to win these 4 awards in a single season.
- Messi completed his 800th career goal (and 99th international goal) in March 2023 while playing in a match for Argentina against Panama which Argentina won by 2-0.
- In March 2023, Messi also unveiled a statue at CONMEBOL headquarters in Luque, Paraguay, in which he was standing next to his statue holding the World Cup 2022 trophy.
- In May 2023, it was revealed that Lionel Messi had been suspended by his club PSG for 2 weeks over an unauthorized trip for 2 days to Saudi Arabia.
- In May 2023, Lionel was honored with the “Laureus Sportsman of the Year” award at the 2023 Laureus World Sport Awards.
- In May 2023, he became the joint-most decorated football player in history and equaled his former Barcelona teammate Dani Alves’s record after Messi secured his 43rd trophy for the club (PSG) and country (Argentina) in the form of Ligue 1 2022-2023.
- In June 2023, he confirmed that he was moving to Inter Miami (an American club, co-owned by David Beckham) after his contract with Paris Saint-Germain would expire. In July 2023, it was revealed that he had officially joined Inter Miami. Later that month, Messi was named Inter Miami‘s new captain.
- Messi scored his fastest international goal ever in June 2023. He scored a goal in 79 seconds for Argentina against Australia in a friendly match at the Workers’ Stadium in Beijing.
- In September 2023, Lionel purchased a waterfront mansion in South Florida for $10.8 million.