|Fabian Delph Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 9 in|
|Date of Birth||November 21, 1989|
Fabian Delph was earmarked as future midfield general after he got his breakthrough in the 2008-09 season. His passing and positional play, coupled with his ability to score stunning goals from long range, made him a key component of his side’s attacking play. He soon secured a move to Aston Villa. However, in his initial seasons at the club, he couldn’t make much of an impact as he struggled with a number of injuries including a cruciate ligament injury that ruled him out for 8 months. Eventually, he managed to get his injuries under control and also refound his form which resulted in a move to Manchester City.
Bradford, England, United Kingdom
Fabian Delph went to the Tong Secondary School where he studied until 2006. Later, he completed his school education from Boston Spa School which is a partner school of the soccer club, Leeds United.
He polished his soccer skills at the youth academy of Leeds United and started his soccer journey with the youth setup of Bradford City.
Professional Soccer Player
- Mother – Donna Delph
Central Midfielder, Left-Back
15, 28, 39, 25 – Leeds United
16 – Aston Villa
18 – Manchester City
17, 15, 11, 8, 19 – England National Team
5 ft 9 in or 175 cm
67 kg or 147.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Fabian Delph has dated –
- Natalie Delph (2013-Present)- Fabian Delph first started going out with Natalie in 2013 while he was playing for Aston Villa. They decided to get married only a few months after having started going out. Over the course of their marriage, Natalie has given birth to 3 daughters. Their youngest daughter was born during the 2018 FIFA World Cup and he decided to briefly leave the England camp to be there for his daughter’s birth. His first 2 daughters are named Sophia and Aleya.
Race / Ethnicity
Fabian Delph has inked a personal endorsement deal with Nike. As per the clauses of the deal, he is required to wear Nike footwear for his professional matches.
Best Known For
Having played in the English top flight for over 10 seasons. During his time in the top flight, he represented Aston Villa for many seasons and also played for Manchester City.
First Soccer Match
In May 2007, he made his professional debut with Leeds United in a match against Derby County. He was sent in as a substitute in the last match of Leeds United’s season in Championship.
In August 2009, Delph made his first appearance for Aston Villa in a Premier League home match against Wigan Athletic. He lasted only 61 minutes in the match which his side lost by 2-0.
In August 2015, he made his debut for Manchester City in a Premier League match against Everton. He was sent in as a late substitute in a 2-0 win.
He made his first international start for England in a friendly match against Norway. He replaced Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain in the 69th minute in a 1-0 win.
- Positional Play
- Reading of the game
- Gets injured pretty often
- Aerial ability
First TV Show
In 2015, Fabian Delph made his first TV show appearance in sports talk show, Football Focus.
Apart from his team training, Delph also spends significant time in the gym to strengthen his muscles and to cut down injuries. He has also made Tai Chi an integral part of his daily regime. The mindful moves of Tai Chi have helped him reduce his injuries as well as improve his mental wellbeing.
He has also adopted a vegan diet to put his injury struggles behind him.
Fabian Delph Facts
- He was signed by Leeds United on the recommendation of their academy coach Greg Abbott. Abbott had been advised to recommend Delph by former Bradford manager Paul Jewell whose son used to play with Delph.
- In January 2008, he signed his first professional contract with Leeds United. In that season, he managed to make 2 substitute appearances for the senior team.
- In September 2008, he scored his first professional goal in his side’s impressive 5-2 win over Crewe Alexandra. He had signed a contract extension with the club just a day before scoring his first goal.
- In the 2009 winter transfer window, it was reported that Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger was considering a £6 million bid to sign Delph. Leeds chairman Ken Bates even revealed that his club had rejected advances from 2 Premier League clubs.
- The 2008-2009 season proved to be his breakthrough season. He even went on to win League One the Young Player of the Year award at Football League Awards. He was also recognized as Young Player of the Season at the end of the season.
- After Leeds United failed to secure a promotion from League One, the speculation about Delph leaving the club intensified. He was actively pursued by English top flight clubs including Fulham, Sunderland, Everton, and Tottenham Hotspur.
- In August 2013, it was announced that Leeds United had agreed to sell Fabian to Aston Villa for an undisclosed transfer fee.
- In January 2010, he scored his first professional goal for Aston Villa in the FA Cup match against Brighton & Hove Albion. His side won the thrilling contest by 3-2.
- He suffered a severe knee injury during an Aston Villa training session in April 2010. It was later revealed that he had suffered a cruciate ligament injury which kept him out of action for 8 months.
- Later, Delph managed to establish himself in the Aston Villa starting line-up in the 2012-13 season and managed to make 24 appearances in the season.
- His great performances in the 2013-14 season helped him establish himself as one of the best central midfielders in the league. He was selected as Player of the Year by the club fans.
- In July 2015, he was at the center of a farcical transfer saga. Manchester City had submitted a transfer offer for Delph which was accepted by the club but he failed to show up for the medical. He later released a statement underlining his intent to stay with Aston Villa. However, just after a week of affirming his commitment to Aston Villa, he decided to move to Manchester City which made the Villa fans furious as his inability to take a stand irked them.
- In November 2015, he scored his first goal for Manchester City in a Premier League match against Southampton.
- In December 2008, he was arrested by the police on drunken driving charges. He decided to plead guilty and was handed a £1,400 fine and was disqualified from driving for 18 months.
- In the 2017-2018 season, he managed to win Premier League title with Manchester City. He played in the left back position after Benjamin Mendy suffered a cruciate ligament injury.
- Follow Fabian Delph on Instagram.
Featured Image by Fabian Delph / Instagram