|Fran Drescher Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 4½ in|
|Date of Birth||September 30, 1957|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Fran Drescher is an American actress and activist who is prominently known for her role as Fran Fine in The Nanny (1993-1999). The show was created and produced by Fran and her then-husband, Peter Marc Jacobson. Apart from her acting roles, she has emerged as a dedicated activist for many important social causes like LGBT rights and HIV /AIDS awareness. Having been diagnosed with Stage 1 uterine cancer and getting successfully treated afterward, she has turned into an advocate for the early detection of cancer. Her foundation Cancer Schmancer is dedicated to promoting women’s health care issues through political activism and education.
Francine Joy Drescher
Kew Gardens Hills, Queens, New York, United States
Los Angeles, California, United States
Fran studied at the Hillcrest High School in Jamaica, Queens from where she graduated in 1975. Among her classmates was comedian Ray Romano. She further went on to attend Queens College, City University of New York but dropped out in her first year and got enrolled in cosmetology classes.
Actress, Activist, Writer
- Father – Morty Drescher (Naval Systems Analyst)
- Mother – Sylvia Drescher (Bridal Consultant)
- Siblings – Nadine Drescher (Older Sister)
- Others – Israel Drescher (Paternal Grandfather), Nettie Cooper (Paternal Grandmother), Adeline Drescher (Older Cousin Sister) (Actress)
Fran is represented by the California-based William Morris Endeavor.
5 ft 4½ in or 164 cm
62 kg or 136.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Fran has dated –
- Peter Marc Jacobson (1975-1999) – Fran first met actor Peter Marc Jacobson while they were studying in high school and soon after, they began dating. They attended university together and got married in 1978 when Fran was 21 years old. Together, they created the hit series, The Nanny, with Peter directing, writing, and producing several episodes of the show. He had been a huge support in launching her show-business career and stood by her side as she achieved fame and recognition. Although they did not have any children, they were married for almost 20 years until 1999, when Peter came out as gay which resulted in their divorce. However, Fran and Peter have maintained a strong friendship ever since and have collaborated on other show projects. According to Fran, they both are each other’s biggest supporters and share a unique and unconditional love for each other.
- Shiva Ayyadurai (2013-2016) – Fran and India-born scientist /politician Shiva Ayyadurai met in October 2013. They got engaged just after 3 months of dating and were officially married on September 7, 2014. But, in September 2016, Fran made the announcement via Instagram that she had split up with her husband of 2 years.
Race / Ethnicity
She has Ashkenazi Jewish roots.
- Nasal voice
- Widow’s peak hairline
- Thick New York accent
- Distinctive laugh
Fran has done endorsement work for the following brands –
- Old Navy
- Hanes Pantyhose (1994)
- Pizza Hut
- 3 Musketeers Candy Bar
- Finishing Touch (2015)
Best Known For
- Essaying the role of Fran Fine in the hit TV series, The Nanny, from 1993 to 1999
- Being a cancer survivor and turning into an outspoken advocate for raising awareness about women’s health issues
Fran made her theatrical film debut in 1977 in the musical drama film, Saturday Night Fever, as Connie.
First TV Show
She made her first TV show appearance on Saturday Night Live as a concert goer in the Steve Martin /Van Morrison episode in 1978. However, her role was uncredited.
Her first credited TV show performance came in 1981 when she appeared on an episode of the talk-show, Hour Magazine.
Fran always keeps herself on the move with her work projects and social commitments. When it comes to physical activities, she loves the outdoors and indulges in hiking and walking on the beach as often as possible. She also practices Pilates to get her muscles toned and to burn fat. Meditation is a big part of her life and she incorporates it into her busy schedule to balance her hectic lifestyle.
Being a cancer survivor, she has changed her eating habits to include more vegan and organic products in her diet and lives a non-toxic lifestyle. She begins her day with warm water and fresh organic lemon juice. For breakfast, she likes to consume organic oatmeal, organic Ezekiel bread, and organic almond butter. Often, she prefers pasture-raised eggs and her drink of choice is organic green tea.
Fran Drescher Favorite Things
- Cartoon Character – Jessica Rabbit
- Karaoke Song – I Got You Babe (Sonny & Cher)
Source – Marie Claire
Fran Drescher Facts
- She counts Rosie O’Donnell, Twiggy (British model), and Yvonne Sciò among her closest friends.
- In January 1985, Drescher and her husband Jacobson were attacked by two armed robbers at their home in Los Angeles. As one of them ransacked the house, Fran and a female friend were r*ped at gunpoint and Jacobson was physically assaulted, tied up, and forced to witness the whole ordeal. It took Fran many years to recover and come out with her story.
- Fran Drescher was included in People magazine’s list of 50 Most Beautiful People in the World in 1996.
- Fran was diagnosed with Stage 1 uterine cancer on June 21, 2000. She was immediately admitted at Los Angeles’s Cedars Sinai Hospital and underwent a radical hysterectomy to treat the disease. As it was detected at an early stage, she did not have to undergo radiation or chemotherapy and was given a clean bill of health without any post-operative treatment.
- Fran founded the Cancer Schmancer Movement on the 7th anniversary of her operation on June 21, 2007. The non-profit organization is committed to ensuring that women’s cancers be diagnosed at Stage 1 which is the most curable stage.
- She is the author of 3 books – Enter Whining (1996), Cancer Schmancer (2002), and Being Wendy (2011). Her 2nd book, Cancer Schmancer, chronicles her experiences with the disease and also intends to raise awareness and empower people to recognize the early warning signs of cancer.
- She has a pet named Esther Drescher which is of the chocolate Pomeranian breed. The dog has made appearances on the show, Living With Fran (2005), as Esther the dog.
- In 1973, she became the 1st runner-up at the Miss New York Teenager beauty contest. However, in order to land an agent, she lied about being the winner of the pageant.
- While on a trip to Paris, Fran came across the then-president of CBS, Jeff Sagansky, and convinced him to hear her and Jacobson’s idea for a television show. Jeff was impressed with her conviction, charm, and persistence and the pilot for The Nanny (1993) was shot a year later.
- She was believed to be working to develop a new sitcom, The New Thirty, along with Rosie O’Donnell in 2008. The plot revolved around 2 high school friends dealing with midlife crises but the project failed to materialize.
- She has been vocally supportive of the LGBT rights after her 1st husband, Peter, came out as gay.
- Fran Drescher officiated the weddings of 3 gay couples in New York City after obtaining a minister’s license from the Universal Life Church to promote her show, Happily Divorced. The 3 couples were hand-picked by Drescher who invited gay couples to share their love stories and the reason why they wanted to be married by Fran on the Fran Drescher’s ‘Love Is Love’ Gay Marriage Contest on Facebook.
- A devoted health care advocate, Fran was appointed the Public Diplomacy Envoy for Women’s Health Issues by the U.S. State Department in September 2008.
- She has played a big part in getting the Gynecologic Cancer Awareness and Education Act passed into law in the U.S. history.
- In September 2021, Fran was elected as the president of SAG-AFTRA.
- She was re-elected as the president of SAG-AFTRA in September 2023.
- Follow Fran Drescher on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Featured Image by Gage Skidmore / Flickr / CC BY-SA 2.0