|Franz Beckenbauer Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 11 in|
|Date of Birth||September 11, 1945|
Franz Beckenbauer is a German former professional soccer player, soccer manager, and sports administrator who is widely regarded as one of the greatest players to have graced the sport. He was renowned for his elegant style and dynamic leadership and is often credited as being the inventor of the playing role of the modern sweeper. Franz has been named in the ‘World Team of the 20th Century’ in 1998, the ‘FIFA World Cup Dream Team’ in 2002, and was named in the ‘FIFA 100’, a list of the world’s greatest living soccer players, in 2004. Post-retirement, he served German club Bayern Munich, first as a team manager and later as the club president (1994-2009). Franz was instrumental in Germany winning the bid to host the 2006 FIFA World Cup and until 2016, for 34 years, he also worked as a columnist for the German tabloid Bild.
Franz Anton Beckenbauer
Der Kaiser, Fußball-Kaiser
Munich, Bavaria, Germany
Munich, Bavaria, Germany
Franz’s formal education suffered as he began playing competitive soccer in youth leagues from the age of 9.
Soccer Manager, Administrator, Professional Soccer Player (Retired)
- Father – Franz Beckenbauer, Sr. (Postal Worker)
- Mother – Antonie Beckenbauer (née Hupfauf)
- Siblings – Walter Beckenbauer (Older Brother)
He was represented for the majority of his career by Robert Schwan, personal and business manager.
- 4, 5 – West Germany
- 3, 4, 5 – Bayern Munich
- 5 – Hamburger SV
- 6 – New York Cosmos
5 ft 11 in or 180.5 cm
75 kg or 165.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Franz has dated –
- Brigitte Beckenbauer (1966–1990) – Franz was married to Brigitte Beckenbauer for more than 2 decades. They have 2 sons together named Michael Beckenbauer and Stephan Beckenbauer (Professional Soccer Player) (b. December 1, 1968; d. July 31, 2015). Through Stephan, Franz has a grandson named Luca Beckenbauer (Professional Soccer Player) (b. August 17, 2000). The couple was divorced in 1990.
- Sybille Beckenbauer (1990-2004) – Soon after his divorce with Brigitte, Franz got married to German model Sybille in 1990. They have a son together named Thomas Beckenbauer. The couple parted ways in 2004.
- Heidi Burmester (2006-Present) – After just 3 weeks of dating, Franz married Heidi Burmester on June 23, 2006. They have 2 children together – a son named Joel Beckenbauer and a daughter named Francessca Beckenbauer.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of German descent.
- Forehead dotted with spots
- Affable smile
7 (UK) or 8 (US) or 41 (EU)
Franz has served as the ambassador for brands like –
He has appeared in the TV commercials for brands such as –
- Knorr Soups
- Deutsche Post
Franz Beckenbauer Favorite Things
- Soccer Player/Role Model – Friedrich “Fritz” Walter
- Soccer Clubs – TSV 1860 Munich, Bayern Munich
Source – Wikipedia
Franz Beckenbauer Facts
- Although his father was not very supportive of his soccer ambitions, Franz began playing the sport from the age of 9 with the youth team of SC Munich ’06.
- He represented West Germany at 3 FIFA World Cups (1966, 1970, 1974) and the team finished in the top 3 each time.
- He holds the record of being the first captain to win the World Cup (1974) and the European Championships (1972) at the international level, as well as the European Cup (1974, 1975, 1976) at the club level.
- Franz is the first player to both captain (1974) and manage (1990) a FIFA World Cup-winning team. He is also the 2nd player, after Brazil’s Mário Zagallo, to win the FIFA World Cup as a player and as a team manager.
- With the German soccer powerhouse Bayern Munich, he won 3 successive European Cups (1974-1976) which made him the first player to win 3 European Cups as captain. The feat earned the club the honor of keeping the trophy permanently.
- Franz won the prestigious Ballon d’Or award twice – in 1972 and 1976.
- In June 2014, he was banned by the FIFA Ethics Committee from all football-related activities for 3 months due to his refusal to cooperate with an inquiry into alleged corruption related to the allocation of the hosting rights of the 2018 FIFA World Cup to Russia and the 2022 World Cup to Qatar. The ban was lifted after he agreed to participate in the inquiry.
- Franz had once requested a major mobile phone company for the special number 0176/666666 to be allocated to him. It did not turn out well for him as he was soon bombarded with phone calls from several men who mistook it for a phone s*x number. The confusion arose because the number ‘6’ in German translates to ‘sechs’ and sounds similar to s*x.
Featured Image by Elena Rybakova / www.soccer.ru / CC BY-SA 3.0