|Gabby Douglas Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 2 in|
|Date of Birth||December 31, 1995|
Gabby Douglas is an American artistic gymnast known for her successful career. She has won various gymnastic competitions and has done endorsement work for popular brands like Nike, Nintendo, H&M, and Vogue. She has a huge social media fan base with more than 2 million followers on Instagram, more than 1 million followers on Twitter, and more than 1 million followers on Facebook.
Gabrielle Christina Victoria Douglas
Gabby, Gab, Bri
Newport News, Virginia, United States
West Des Moines, Iowa, United States
As Gabby Douglas had a very busy schedule because of her budding gymnastics career, she decided to go for homeschooling to keep up with her studies.
- Father – Timothy Douglas
- Mother – Natalie Hawkins-Douglas
- Siblings – Joyelle Douglas (Older Sister), Arielle Douglas (Older Sister), Johnathan Douglas (Older Brother)
Gabby Douglas is represented by –
- CAA Sports (Sports Management Company), New York, United States.
- Janice Lee and Jeff Raymond, Rogers & Cowan, Los Angeles, California, United States.
Kittia Carpenter, Dena Walker, Gustavo Moure (Former)
Liang Chow (Assistant Coach)
Christian Gallardo (Current Head Coach)
5 ft 2 in or 157.5 cm
50 kg or 110 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Gabby Douglas has opted to keep her personal life away from the spotlight, which makes it difficult for us to say anything about her love life and dating history.
Race / Ethnicity
She has African-American ancestry.
She often tends to dye her hair ‘red’.
Gabby Douglas has appeared in a TV commercial for Nike.
In 2012, she was also roped in by Nintendo for the TV advert campaign for the popular game, New Super Mario Bros. 2.
She has also been featured in the print adverts for O.P.I.‘s Gel Colours and nails lacquers.
In August 2012, Kellogg’s revealed that her picture with a gold medal on the podium would be featured in the boxes of a special edition of cornflakes.
She has also used her strong social media presence to endorse brands like –
- Adobe Students
- Beauty Bakerie
- Land Rover
She is a devout Christian and has often credited her faith in God for her success.
Best Known For
- Her successful career as a gymnast. She has won multiple gold medals at the Olympics and has won several gymnastics competitions.
- Her strong presence on various social media platforms. She has more than 2 million followers on her official Instagram account.
She made her theatrical film debut in the 2019 mystery drama movie, Same Difference.
First TV Show
In July 2012, Gabby Douglas made her first TV show appearance on the talk show, Today.
Gabby Douglas has a very grueling and intense training in place to prepare her for gymnastic events. She usually has 2 training sessions daily. Her morning session lasts for about 4 hours and is usually focused on practicing her gymnastic skills and moves. She works on vault, beam, and bars. If she has a new routine in her mind, she usually practices it during her morning session.
Her 2nd session is usually scheduled for noon and starts at 2 pm. This session lasts for about 2 hours and the focus is on improving her conditioning. She usually relies on bodyweight exercises such as pushups, leg lifts, squats, squat-jumps, and sit-ups. She also goes through a series of stretches for back, shoulders, and legs.
Gabby fuels her grueling workout regime by following a healthy and disciplined diet plan. Her diet plan on training days is as follows –
- Breakfast – A bowl of oatmeal, a banana, and tea
- Lunch – Grilled chicken breast and grilled asparagus with balsamic vinegar
- Dinner – Pasta with grilled salmon and sautéed garlic green beans
However, on her rest days, she relaxes her diet plan as well. Her rest day diet plan is as follows –
- Breakfast – Scrambled eggs with cheese, waffles, and kosher beef bacon
- Lunch – Homemade taco salad
- Dinner – Grilled chicken breast with cabbage and a large sweet potato
Gabby Douglas Favorite Things
- Dinner – Marinated and baked salmon, Baked sweet potatoes, Grilled asparagus, and Corn pudding
- Animals – Cats, Dogs
- Meal – Matzo ball soup
- Sports Team – Los Angeles Lakers
- Color – Yellow
- Celebrity Crush – Ian Somerhalder
- Dessert – Chocolate
Source – ESPN, US Magazine
Gabby Douglas Facts
- At the age of 14, she left her family and moved to West Des Moines to train for the Olympics. Liang Chow was her full-time coach at that time.
- In 2012, the Associated Press selected her as the Female Athlete of the Year.
- She started her gymnastics training at the age of 6 after her older sister convinced her mother to put Gabby in the gymnastics class.
- By the age of 8, she had managed to win the Level 4 all-around gymnastics title at the 2004 Virginia State Championships.
- During her interview with Oprah Winfrey in August 2012, she claimed that she had to endure racist bullying at Excalibur Gymnastics. However, these claims were refuted by the CEO of Excalibur Gymnastics, Gustavo Maure.
- In December 2012, she released her autobiography Grace, Gold, and Glory: My Leap of Faith, which made its debut on The New York Times‘s Young Adult Bestseller List at the 4th position.
- In 2017, she revealed that she was sexually abused in her teens by Larry Nassar, during his stint as a doctor for USA Gymnastics.
- Mattel, Inc. unveiled a Gymnastics Barbie modeled on Gabby Douglas in July 2016.
- By winning gold medals in both individual all-around and team competitions at the 2012 Olympics, she became the first American gymnast to win both medals at a single Olympics event.
- She holds the distinction of being the first athlete of African American ancestry to win a gold medal in the individual all-around at the Olympics.
- Visit her official website @ gabrielledouglas.com.
- Follow her on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and Google+.
Featured Image by Fernando Frazão / Agência Brasil / CC BY-3.0 BR