|Garbiñe Muguruza Quick Info|
|Date of Birth||October 8, 1993|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Garbiñe Muguruza is a Spanish-Venezuelan tennis player and former world no. 1 who turned professional in 2012. She has compiled an array of awards including various single titles, the 2016 French Open victory, and the 2017 Wimbledon Championships.
Garbiñe Muguruza Blanco
Professional Tennis Player
- Father – José Antonio Muguruza
- Mother – Scarlet Blanco
- Siblings – Asier (Older Brother), Igor (Older Brother)
She is represented by IMG Academy, Florida, United States.
Right-Handed (Two-Handed Backhand)
6 ft or 183 cm
66 kg or 145.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
She has dated –
- Arthur Borges (2021-Present) – She first met Arthur Borges, who works in the fashion industry, while taking a walk in New York in 2021. He had asked her for a selfie on the street and the couple later started dating. The couple got engaged in May 2023.
Race / Ethnicity
Multiracial (White and Hispanic)
She has Basque ancestry on her father’s side and Venezuelan ancestry on her mother’s side.
- Plump Lips
- Dimpled smile
She has done endorsement works for brands and companies such as –
- Evian Water
- Indiba Activ
- Maui Jim
- BBVA Bank
Garbiñe Muguruza Favorite Things
- Hobbies – Traveling and playing guitar in her free time
Garbiñe Muguruza Facts
- She started playing tennis at the age of 3. After they moved to Spain when she was only 6 years old, she started training at the Bruguera Tennis Academy.
- She rose to fame in 2014 after making it to the last 16 at the Australian Open, defeating former world No. 1 Caroline Wozniacki en route. She also defeated former world no. 1 Serena Williams in the 2nd round of the French Open. At the time, Williams was beaten in straight sets during her most uneven defeat at a Grand Slam.
- As a player, she demonstrates powerful groundstrokes paired with an aggressive playing style. Moreover, she also possesses a powerful serve capable of hitting speeds of up to 113 mph (182 km/h).
- In the 2015 Wimbledon Championships, she made it into her first-ever Grand Slam final where she lost to Serena Williams. She then went on to win her maiden Premier-level crown by winning the China Open title. In that same year, Muguruza also qualified for her first WTA Finals in singles during which she scored a perfect winning record in the round-robin stage before losing the semifinals to eventual champion Agnieszka Radwańska.
- Apart from her impressive achievements in the singles category, she had also been successful in doubles and won 5 titles, placed as a runner-up at the 2015 WTA Finals, and made it to the 2014 French Open semifinals. Muguruza shared all these victories with her compatriot, Carla Suárez Navarro.
- Shortly after she turned pro in March 2012, she was given a wildcard at the Miami Open for first WTA main draw appearance. At the time, she won over former world no. 2 Vera Zvonareva and former world no. 10 Flavia Pennetta before losing in the round 16 to eventual champion Agnieszka Radwańska in straight sets.
- She ended the 2012-13 season as the world no. 63 in singles and no. 153 in doubles.
- After losing a match against Venus Williams at the Auckland Open during the 2014 season, she qualified and eventually won her first WTA singles title at the Hobart International by defeating Klára Zakopalová in straight sets.
- On August 15, 2018, Hopman Cup organizers announced that she would represent Spain at the 2019 edition alongside David Ferrer. On her first appearance, she lost to Angelique Kerber of Germany in 3 sets.
- Following several losses for the year 2019, she announced her separation from her longtime coach Sam Sumyk.
Featured Image by Tourism Victoria / Flickr / CC BY 2.0