|Geddy Lee Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 10 in|
|Date of Birth||July 29, 1953|
Geddy Lee is a Canadian musician, singer, songwriter, and producer who is best known for having been the lead vocalist, bassist, and keyboardist for the rock group Rush. In addition to that, he has served as the bassist for the supergroup named Big Dirty Band while also embarking on a solo career.
Gary Lee Weinrib
Willowdale, North York, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Geddy Lee dropped out of high school to pursue his passion for music.
Musician, Singer, Songwriter, Producer
- Father – Morris Weinrib
- Mother – Mary Weinrib (née Manya Rubenstein)
- Sibling – Allan Weinrib (Brother)
- Others – Gary Rubenstein (Maternal Grandfather), Rose Rozensweig (Maternal Grandmother)
Progressive Rock, Hard Rock, Heavy Metal
Bass Guitar, Keyboards, Vocals
Mercury Records, Anthem Records, Atlantic
5 ft 10 in or 178 cm
70 kg or 154.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Geddy Lee has dated –
- Connie Hamzy (1991)
- Nancy Young (1976-Present) – He got married to Nancy Young in 1976 and they have been blessed with 2 children – a son named Julian and a daughter named Kyla Avril.
Race / Ethnicity
Geddy Lee is of Ashkenazi Jewish descent.
- Long hair
- High pitched vocals
- Wears round sunglasses
He grew up in a Jewish household but has described himself as a Jewish atheist stating, “I consider myself a Jew as a race, but not so much as a religion. I’m not down with religion at all. I’m a Jewish atheist if that’s possible.”
Geddy Lee Favorite Things
- Baseball Team While Growing Up – Detroit Tigers
- Bass Guitar – A 1972 Fender Jazz that he bought in a pawn shop in Kalamazoo, Michigan in 1978
Source – Wikipedia
Geddy Lee Facts
- His parents survived the Jewish Holocaust.
- He replaced original bassist and frontman Jeff Jones and joined Rush in September 1968.
- Geddy Lee’s Big Dirty Band bandmates included Alex Lifeson, Jeff Burrows, Ian Thornley, Care Failure, and Adam Gontier.
- He used to use kitchen appliances and other industrial items as “balance” to Alex Lifeson’s stack of amps on stage in concerts.
- He has credited artists like Jeff Berlin, Jack Casady, John Entwistle, Jack Bruce, and Chris Squire as his major influences.
- Geddy Lee has a passion for collecting watches and wines. He is also an avid collector of baseball memorabilia.
- He supports the organization Grapes for Humanity which has created the Geddy Lee Scholarship for students of winemaking at Niagara College.
- In 1996, he was honored as the Officer of the Order of Canada, along with bandmates Alex Lifeson and Neil Peart.
- As a solo artist, Geddy Lee released his debut album, My Favourite Headache, on November 14, 2000, and it was ranked at number #52 on the Billboard 200 chart.
Featured Image by Mark Taylor / Flickr / CC BY 2.0