|George Carlin Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 9 in|
|Date of Birth||May 12, 1937|
George Carlin was an American stand-up comedian, actor, social critic, and author who is regarded as one of the most important and influential stand-up comics of all time. He gained acclaim with his dark comedy and reflections on politics, the English language, psychology, religion, and taboo subjects.
George Denis Patrick Carlin
Georgie Porgie, Curious George, The Dean of Counterculture Comedians
He was born on May 12, 1937.
On June 22, 2008, Carlin died of heart failure at the age of 71 at Saint John’s Health Center in Santa Monica, California, United States.
Manhattan, New York City, New York, United States
He studied at Corpus Christi School and then attended Cardinal Hayes High School for 3 semesters. He also attended Bishop Dubois High School in Harlem and the Salesian High School in Goshen.
Stand-up Comedian, Actor, Social Critic, Author
- Father – Patrick John Carlin (Worked as an advertising manager for The Sun)
- Mother – Mary (née Bearey) (Secretary)
- Sibling – Patrick Jr. (Older Brother)
- Others – Patrick John Carlin (Paternal Grandfather), Mary McLaughlin/McLoughlin (Paternal Grandmother), Dennis Bearey (Maternal Grandfather) (A police officer in the New York City Police Department (NYPD)), Mary Grady (Maternal Grandmother)
Stand-up, Film, Television, Radio, Literature
Observational Comedy, Character Comedy, Surreal Comedy, Blue Comedy, Dark Comedy, Wordplay, Sarcasm, Irony, Satire
American Culture, Society, Religion, Politics, Psychology, Philosophy, Profanity, Everyday Life, Nihilism, Misanthropy, Drug Use, Language, Mass Media, Popular Culture, Current Events, Death, Masculinity, Family, Parenting, Race Relations, Old Age
5 ft 9 in or 175 cm
70 kg or 154.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
George Carlin had dated –
- Judy Landers – He once had a fling with film and television actress Judy Landers.
- Brenda Hosbrook (1960-1997) – He met Brenda Hosbrook in August 1960 while he was touring with comedy partner Jack Burns in Dayton, Ohio. Soon after, the duo married on June 3, 1961, at her parents’ home in Dayton. On June 15, 1963, they welcomed their first and only child – a daughter named Kelly Marie Carlin. In 1971, they renewed their wedding vows in Las Vegas. The duo remained together until May 11, 1997, when she died of liver cancer just a day before Carlin’s 60th birthday.
- Sally Wade (1997-2008) – He met comedy writer Sally Wade just 6 months after his first wife’s demise and described it as “love at first sight”. However, he admitted that he was hesitant to act on his feelings so soon after his wife’s death. On June 24, 1998, the couple got married in a private and unregistered ceremony and remained together until his death in 2008, two days before their 10-year anniversary.
Race / Ethnicity
He was of Irish descent.
- His forever-famous “7 Words You Can’t Say on TV”
- Heavy New York accent
- Raspy voice
He appeared in the TV commercials for Dodge Neon, Fuji Videotape, etc.
He was born to a Catholic family but vocally rejected religion in all of its forms and frequently criticized and mocked it in his comedy routines.
George Carlin Facts
- In November 1994, he was inducted into the Comedy Hall of Fame.
- He had also joined the U.S. Air Force and trained as a radar technician.
- His comedy influences included Spike Jones, The Marx Brothers, Danny Kaye, Jerry Lewis, Lenny Bruce, and Bob Newhart.
Featured Image by Little David Records / eBay / Public Domain