|Genuwine Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 2 in|
|Date of Birth||October 15, 1970|
Ginuwine is an American rapper and songwriter, dancer, and actor. With the New York-based record label and music compound Swing Mob, Ginuwine started his career in the 1990s. Ginuwine has had associated acts with Missy Elliott, Timbaland, and Aaliyah. He became the best selling R&B artists in the 2000s after signing to Epic Records. He was very successful for his first 4 albums titled Ginuwine…The Bachelor, 100% Ginuwine, The Life, and The Senior. He has also worked in movies as well as various TV shows. He contributed to a few movie soundtracks like Men in Black: The Album – “I’m Feelin’ You” (1997), Dr. Dolittle – “Same Ol’ G” (1998), and “Romeo Must Die” – “Simply Irresistible” (2000). He is active on Instagram with more than 700k followers.
Elgin Baylor Lumpkin
Washington, D.C., United States
Maryland, United States
He finished his graduation from Forestville High School (now known as Forestville Military Academy) in Forestville, Maryland in 1989. After that, he got a Paralegal Associate’s Degree from Prince George’s Community College in Largo, Maryland.
Singer, Songwriter, Dancer, Actor
- Father – James II Lumpkin
- Mother – Sandra Lumpkin
- Siblings – James III (Younger Brother), Latisha Lumpkin (Younger Sister)
Ginuwine is represented by Sharron Elkabas.
- E1 Music
- Warner Bros.
- Asylum Records
- 550 Music
- Epic Records
6 ft 2 in or 188 cm
85 kg or 187.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Ginuwine has dated –
- Mz Jones – Model Mz Jones and Ginuwine dated for a brief period of time in the past.
- Aaliyah (1997-1998) – Singer Aaliyah Dana Haughton dated Ginuwine for 1 year from 1997 to 1998. Just a couple of years after their breakup, Aaliyah died in a plane crash in 2001.
- Claudia Jordan (1997) – Ginuwine had a fling with actress Claudia Jordan in 1997.
- Tonya M. Johnston (1999-2015) – Better known as Solé, rapper Tonya and Ginuwine started dating after they met in 1999. They also collaborated on the song So Anxious. The duo got married on September 8, 2003, in the Cayman Islands. She has 2 children with Ginuwine, both daughters named Story (b. March 29, 2001) and Dream Sarae Lumpkin (b. November 1, 2002). In 2014, they split which was revealed by Ginuwine in November 2014. They also filed for divorce which was finalized on July 22, 2015. Overall, they were married for 12 years from 2003 to 2015.
- Ashley James (2018) – British reality contestant Ashley James was dating Ginuwine in 2018.
Note – In 2009, Ginuwine was having 9 children overall (7 biological and 2 step-children), out of which the mother of only two children, Dream and Story is known. Rest of his children are sons Elgin Jr., Ginel, Tahjir, and daughters Ramonda and Tiffany. The mothers’ names of these children have been kept private.
Race / Ethnicity
Ginuwine is of African-American descent.
- Smooth voice
- Tall height
- Fit body
He has done endorsement work for brands such as Adult Chocolate Milk (A 40-proof vodka-based version of chocolate milk).
Best Known For
- Co-writing the popular song Pony (1996) with the Swing Mob. This song became famous for its obvious s*xual metaphor.
- Releasing numerous songs such as So Anxious (1999) and Differences (2001)
- Being a member of the Swing Mob
He released his debut album titled Ginuwine…the Bachelor in 1996. It was produced by Timbaland.
He made his theatrical film debut in the rom-com, Juwanna Mann in 2002 as Romeo.
First TV Show
He made his TV show debut as ‘Himself’ on Soul Train in 1996.
Ginuwine Favorite Things
- Singer – Michael Jackson
Source – IMDb
- He was nominated for Grammy Award for the album Three Kings (2013) in the “Best R&B Album” category in 2014.
- Ginuwine won a Soul Train Music Award in the “Best R&B/Soul Album – Male” category for his album 100% Ginuwine in 2000.
- He met Missy Elliott and Timbaland at Swing Mob. Timbaland and Missy were his main collaborations after the 1990s.
- Pony, his first single was used in the video game Grand Theft Auto IV in 2008.
- Ginuwine and Timbaland grew apart after his second album, 100% Ginuwine.
- He started his own label called Bag Entertainment in 2002.
- His parents died within a year from 2001 to 2002. His mother died of cancer and his father committed suicide. This was a very bad phase for him and he even thought of killing himself.
- He was originally cast in the movie You Got Served (2004) but was replaced by Marques Houston.
- Ginuwine has collaborated with many artists like TGT, DeVante Swing, Playa, and Solé.
- He started his career by working with local bands. Before he was discovered by Jodeci and started as Ginuwine, he called himself Tornado. Tornado worked with 2 bands, called Finesse Five and Physical Wonder.
- He chose the name ‘Ginuwine’ because he considered himself down to earth.
- He was inspired by Michael Jackson and his second album 100% Ginuwine consists of a cover of Jackson’s song, She’s Out of My Life.
- The song Two Reasons I Cry from the album The Life (2001) was dedicated to his parents.
- He’s good friends with Tyrese Gibson and Durrell Babbs better known by his stage name ‘Tank’.
- Follow him on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook.
Featured Image by Ralph Arvesen / Flickr / CC BY-2.0